Fucking Åmål DVDs

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

Fucking Åmål DVDs

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:10 am

Here are some of the releases that are still available to order on the net:

Swedish re-release

Australian, nice cover!

French

American
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby fraks » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:26 am

And Russia

fraks
Silver Member

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:20 am

fraks, was Fucking Åmål dubbed into russian, or did it have russian subtitles and swedish audio?
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby fraks » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:11 am

Agnes&Elin Forever! wrote:fraks, was Fucking Åmål dubbed into russian, or did it have russian subtitles and swedish audio?

Qualitative duplication on russian
+ russian subtitles
+ the swedish original sound (though on most disk is written that english - but this mistake).
fraks
Silver Member

Postby Max Lynx » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:32 am

I have the original Greek edition of FÅ in DVD and Video Tape.
Max Lynx
Faithfull Member

Postby natasha » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:25 am

i'm really interested in getting this film but can't seem to find it in the UK. does anyone know whether a regional 1 DVD wouuld work on a UK laptop?

Thanks
natasha

Postby kant1781 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:39 pm

natasha wrote:i'm really interested in getting this film but can't seem to find it in the UK. does anyone know whether a regional 1 DVD wouuld work on a UK laptop?

Hi natasha. I don't know about the region 1 DVD, but I'm surprised as
(or "Show Me Love", as it is called in English-speaking countries) is readily available used and new from, for example, amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=moodysson
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:57 pm

Or get the Australian DVD, that one should work on your laptop!

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/784440
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:42 am

natasha, before you order any DVDs you should check what your computer can handle.

Australia is also another region, DVD reg 4, but at least they are in PAL and not NTSC like the American reg 1.
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:17 pm

Unfortunately both the original Swedish DVD, and the re-release from
2006 are now out-of-print :(

Of course they are still available at some places, but unless a new release comes along, pretty soon there will only be second-hand copies left in circulation.

original

re-release
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:49 am

I've got the oz dvd, and a - cough, splutter - pirate of the VHS. (Hey, I only did it because it wasn't available to buy at that point, and I just adored it!). Thinking of maybe buying a second copy of the dvd too, just in case!

Oh dear...! :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Rebecka Fan » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:53 am

i bought (or rather, bid) mine on ebay.
*Kyle*
I'm a Guy Directioner.
Rebecka Fan
Crew Member

Postby oeb » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:47 pm

The Swedish re-issue is unfortunately also discontinued indeed, but the U.S. and Australian releases are available. The old Scandinavian release was the best considering video quality though - unfortunately all sold out now.

There is a U.K. release available, but only as part of a 4-disc box set:
http://nordicdvd.com/index.php?lang_id=en&page_id=6&item_id=2480

The U.S. release is actually not Region 1, but all-region:
http://nordicdvd.com/index.php?lang_id=en&page_id=6&item_id=110

Unfortunately there is still no proper 16:9 anamorphic release. Only the French had that, but the colours were completely wrong. Hopefully there will an anniversary release this year as the film is 10 years (1998 - 2008). Digital TV broadcasts actually some times look better than the available DVDs.

You'll find even more international releases on the site - most are no longer available though:
http://nordicdvd.com/index.php?lang_id=en&shop_search=fucking+%E5m%E5l&search_type=products
oeb
Faithfull Member

Postby mpox » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:12 pm

oeb wrote:Hopefully there will an anniversary release this year as the film is 10 years (1998 - 2008). Digital TV broadcasts actually some times look better than the available DVDs.

Is there any hope for that, or an HD release? I know it was shot in 16mm so it'll be grainy but it'd still be an improvement because there won't be as many artifacts from compression. It's too bad in a way that Blu-Ray won the format war because its much more expensive to make those discs, and they can only be done in new plants. It'll be a while before they get around to smaller films like FÅ or L4E.

While looking around for a DVD that met the criteria I wanted (which apparently doesn't exist :() I ran across this site that has some more DVD covers and some posters in the context of a comparison of two different DVD versions. I'll post the ones that aren't already in the thread.

Oh yeah, edit to add the Italian poster or whatever is great design, if I end up having to make my own cover for a Show Me Love disc (urgh) then I will somehow have to get a higher-res version of that to use.

mpox
Gold Member

I cant find the DVD...

Postby bruno » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:32 am

Original DVD is no more: I could not find it anywhere (ebay included).

I really loved this film, and I'd like to buy a DVD because I just could find an italian DIVX (ahem, a pirated version): Italian dubbing is great because we have an incredible variety of creative swear words here, :) still I'd like to see an original language version (swedish) with subtitles (english can work for me). I found it on ebay, but just the VHS!

FÅ opened in Italian theaters in 2000 (It was dubbed because near everything is, in Italy). Italian DVD is nowhere to be found. And I don't know if it had the original soundtrack.

American version (region 1) with (maybe) original language can be found (with shipping overprice...) but this is last option for me (I'm not so sure I can turn my DVD player in a all-region one, and maybe I'm too lazy to try).

Seems time is good for a reprint of the original DVD... at lest, I hope someone will do it!

Cheers to everyone (nice website, too!).
Last edited by bruno on Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bruno
Gold Member

Next

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)