A love like this

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

A love like this

Postby kant1781 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:04 pm

Codyw1 said in that other thread about "lesbian movies" similar to Fucking Åmål, that it is really the wrong kind of question, and I think I agree. This film is a celebration of love, so let's talk about other love stories that may perhaps play in the same league like this - sweet 'n' romantic but real and truthful and sooooo fucking cool. All genders and sexes allowed. What do you think?

Here I go with just two random things on my mind:

Joel and Clementine (J. Carey / K. Winslet) in "Eternal Beauty of the Spotless Mind" (Michel Gondry)
Jesse and Celine (E. Hawke / J. Delpy) in "Before Sunrise" (Richard Linklater)
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby droopy » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:58 am

I feel the same that the lesbian part in a story isn't the crucial one. The crucials are Rebecka and Alexandra as couple :)

I watched today a film called Juno and as it is completely different from Fucking Åmål, the main character Juno partly resembles the alienation of Agnes and crazyness of Elin. It's a good story, but again I am maybe (or certainly) wrong in comparing it to Fucking Åmål.
Oh God, I'm still alive!
droopy

Postby Ian » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:50 am

[quote="droopy"]I feel the same that the lesbian part in a story isn't the crucial one. The crucials are Rebecka and Alexandra as couple :)

Absolutely. :)
Ian
Webmaster

Postby kant1781 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:11 am

droopy wrote:I watched today a film called Juno and as it is completely different from Fucking Åmål, the main character Juno partly resembles the alienation of Agnes and crazyness of Elin.

Hey, that one looks cool! And is going to be in cinemas in Germany just in a few weeks. Thanks for this, I'm going to see it!

It's Berlinale time also here, by the way, which always brings back sweet FÅ memories...
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby loney » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:39 pm

kant1781 wrote:
droopy wrote:
It's Berlinale time also here, by the way, which always brings back sweet FÅ memories...

I know no such thing, could you share with the newbies what you mean by "sweet FA memories"??
loney

Postby kant1781 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:46 pm

loney wrote:I know no such thing, could you share with the newbies what you mean by "sweet FA memories"??

Sorry. It's a mixture of personal memories and the history of the film. Fucking Åmål premiered in 1998 in Sweden and was internationally shown for the first time in February 1999 at the 1999 Berlin Film Festival (Berlinale) where it won the Teddy award for the best gay/lesbian picture. There was a lot of media attention about it in Berlin and Germany then. That's when I first heard about it. (I only got to watch it the end of that year when it regularly opened in German cinemas). In fact, it was shown again at the Berlinale two years ago when the Teddy awards had their (I think) twentieth birthday and a collection of former winners was presented as a retrospective.
There's an audio file from the press conference after the 1999 screening of the film (in English with heavy German and Swedish accents :wink: )
which is sweet to listen to - just to hear the roaring applause from the crowd of film critics and journalists toward Lukas, Rebecka and Alexandra. (Their questions are less interesting).
You can download the audio file in the download section from
http://rebecka.droopy.sk/
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:25 am

I don't know, I don't normally watch so many romantic movies, I think Fucking Åmål is so very special, there really is no comparison.

But one film that has some sweet romance is actually that old Bond-movie The Living Daylights, with Timothy Dalton and Maryam D'Abo.

Again no comparison to FÅ of course, but still cute and unusual for Bond.

I also found a Swedish list on the net for the 12 most romantic films ever, and interestingly FÅ was among those!

Here are the comments for FÅ:

Lukas Moodysson's breakthrough film about the bored teenage girls Agnes and Elin in Åmål.

Agnes is an outcast in school and she finds life rather difficult. She is also secretly in love with Elin, the most popular girl in school.

Elin and her sister have found out about Agnes lesbianism, and Elin decides to play a joke on Agnes by giving her a kiss. This leaves a trace in both girls hearts.

Teenage angst at its very best, Fucking Åmål is also one of the few Swedish films about love between two people of the same sex.

At times funny, at times very dark, this film is an absolute must for all true romantic people.

The other films on the list, in no special order, without comments:

Love Story (1970 Arthur Hiller)

Titanic (1997 James Cameron)

The Notebook (2004 Nick Cassavetes)

Amelie from Montmartre (2001 Jean-Pierre Jeunet)

Notting Hill (1999 Roger Michell)

Gone with the Wind (1939 Victor Fleming)

The Bridges of Madison County (1995 Clint Eastwood)

The English Patient (1996 Anthony Minghella)

Love Actually (2003 Richard Curtis)

Elvira Madigan (1967 Bo Widerberg)

Pride and Predjudice (TV series 1995)
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby fraks » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:51 am

I in the same way much liked the film "Four weeks at June".

Original title - "Fyra veckor i juni" - 2005, only on swedish language.
With Tuva Novotny.

http://www.showmelove.org/index.php?lan ... em_id=3055
fraks
Silver Member

Postby Ian » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:09 am

Y'know, it IS really hard to think of a movie love story as good! That's actually fairly alarming. There's a couple of good romcoms I enjoy, like The Sure Thing and the silly but sweet Serendipity, but they're all Hollywood fairyland sort of movies. It's difficult to think of another that has quite the same sort of realism and thus emotional impact as Show Me Love...
Ian
Webmaster

Postby andreyvit » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:45 pm

From the list above, I've seen “Pride and Predjudice” and “Love Actually”, and liked both very much (especially the first one). Would recommend PaP to everyone.
Andrey.
andreyvit

Postby Ian » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:25 am

Y'know, I've been thinking about this, and in truth, most of the fictional love stories that I've really cared about are not from movies, but televison shows (Todd and Cody in Neighbours, Spike and Lynda in Press Gang, Willow and Tara in Buffy). Maybe it's because with a tv show you simply get a longer time to know and care about the characters.

Which, in a way, makes Show Me Love all the more remarkable for being able to do it in just 90 minutes.
Ian
Webmaster

Postby kant1781 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:26 pm

droopy wrote:I watched today a film called Juno and as it is completely different from Fucking Åmål, the main character Juno partly resembles the alienation of Agnes and crazyness of Elin. It's a good story, but again I am maybe (or certainly) wrong in comparing it to Fucking Åmål.

The connection to "Juno" (which, as you will have noticed, won the "best original screenplay" Oscar this year) is real, as it seems - "Juno" lead actress Ellen Page has, according to net rumours, stated that Fucking Åmål is one of her favourite films. Can't wait to see it.
The only reference I could find is here:
http://www.thereeler.com/the_blog/ellen_pages_fame_game.php
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby PerfectNemesis » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:03 am

kant1781 wrote:
loney wrote:...You can download the audio file in the download section from
http://rebecka.droopy.sk/

Can you give me the exact link. Can't find it.
PerfectNemesis

Postby kant1781 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:41 pm

So sorry, completely wrong link. It's here:
http://www.alexandra-dahlstrom.com/
Go to "Downloads" and choose "Berlinale 99".
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby PerfectNemesis » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:24 pm

^thanks!

The questions were totally random. Moddyson seems very uneasy and have difficulty grasping for words to say.
PerfectNemesis

Next

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)