Other "girl power" movies?

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

Other "girl power" movies?

Postby hcd » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:52 am

Are there any other good "girl power" movies that you can recommend?

My favorites:

Abgefahren - Germany 1994 - Roadmovie about a female car theft (played by 14-year-old Susanne Bormann) in Berlin.
Leon the Professional - France/USA 1994 - A young girl (played by 13-year-old Natalie Portman) tries to become a assassin after her family got killed.
Les diables - France 2002 - Autistic abandoned girl (played by 12-year-old Adele Haenel) tries to escape with her brother from foster institution to find their parents. Deeply moving film that let pop up unsettled feelings in your stomach several times over the course of the story. Includes great music.

Still on my want-to-watch list:

Freeze Die Come to Life - Russia 1989 - A story of two children (girl played by 13-year-old Dinara Drukarova) who experience the insanity of growing up in a remote Russian mining community during the period of Communist rule.
hcd
Faithfull Member

Postby Ian » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:52 am

Er... DEBS, maybe? :?:

Depends what you call 'girl power' movies, though. Just about any movie I love has at least one strong, attractive, sympathetic and/or quirky female in it. I guess I'm just that way inclined. :lol:

Which might explain my lack of affinity for gangster movies or westerns (which rarely have them). :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby hcd » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:40 pm

Er... DEBS, maybe?

Uh... I haven't seen it yet, but it looks not like reaching the qualtiy of FA or LD.

Depends what you call 'girl power' movies

Well, cool/emotional/outstanding movies with an interesting/sad story. Movies like FA, Lilja4Ever (with some exceptions), LD, Leon, etc.
hcd
Faithfull Member

Postby Ian » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:00 am

Well, no, I wasn't suggesting DEBS was in the same league as SML!
To be fair, though, it's not trying to be - it's a good-natured, silly, spoofy comedy, and thoroughly enjoyable as such.
Ian
Webmaster

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)