Subtitle difference

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

Subtitle difference

Postby Ian » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:03 am

I could be wrong (since I haven't gone back to check) but I'm sure there are a couple of differences in the subtitles for the VHS and DVD release of SML in Australia. Mainly in the climactic toilet scene (largely because, I dare say, I must have memorised the dialogue! :lol: )

I'm sure that in the VHS version, Elin says "I think you think that I think you're a bad person", while in the dvd she says "I think that you think that I think you're bad". I'm even more certain of the difference in the moment when they "come out". In the VHS version, I'm positive Elin says "we're going to fuck", while in the dvd she says "we're going to shag"!

Anyone else confirm or deny this? Or am I just losing my mind (entirely possible) :wink: ?
Ian
Webmaster

Re: Subtitle difference

Postby kant1781 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:41 pm

codyw1 wrote:am I just losing my mind (entirely possible) :wink: ?

You already have.

I'm sure that in the VHS version, Elin says "I think you think that I think you're a bad person", while in the dvd she says "I think that you think that I think you're bad". I'm even more certain of the difference in the moment when they "come out". In the VHS version, I'm positive Elin says "we're going to fuck", while in the dvd she says "we're going to shag"!

Well, I can't confirm obviously, but are these, like, real differences?
The first two version really come down to the same, don't they? (Syntactially, the second version is closer to the Swedish, "nu tror du säkert att jag tycker så här att du är dålig", but that's all.) And what is the difference between f... and shag, except that the first word is more gross?
What do the Swedes around say about which one is closer to "knulla"?
All in all, I must say that the English subtitles are quite true to the script and reliable, while the German subtitles have an awful lot of distortions and even faulty translations.

I must have memorised the dialogue! :lol: )

Don't you have that, that you talk Fucking Åmål ? That you feel the urge to answer people with Swedish bits or phrases taken from the film when they fit in the conversation? Even if it's just a little "nej..." in Elin's peculiar tone of voice...
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:57 pm

Elin is meant to be very shy at first in the toilet scene.

She isn't saying that Agnes is believed to be "bad" or "a bad person".

She is saying "dålig", but the underlying meaning is more "now you think that I don't like you at all".

And then she says "men det är inte så. Det är precis tvärtom! Jag tycker egentligen att du...du är bra".

Which translates to "but it's not like that. It's just the opposite! In fact I think that you...you are good".

What Elin is saying is that she really likes Agnes :lol:

But you probably got this already, I just wanted to clarify it completely :)
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:11 pm

Concerning the words "shag" and "fuck", isn't "shag" used more in England or Australia, and not so much in the USA?

And fuck is more of a bad word used mostly for swearing?

I would say "knulla" is more like "shag" , just a slang for having sex :lol:
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby hcd » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:45 pm

... while the German subtitles have an awful lot of distortions and even faulty translations.

Really? Can you give some examples, please?
hcd
Faithfull Member

Postby Ian » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:10 am

LOL Yeah, I know, the slight difference doesn't change the meaning, it's just that I noticed it 'cause I'm completely anal! :lol: (And must have that scene recorded in my head on a permanent loop. Y'know, just 'cause it's so AWW :oops: )
Ian
Webmaster

Re: Subtitle difference

Postby Ian » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:01 am

kant1781 wrote:[Don't you have that, that you talk Fucking Åmål ? That you feel the urge to answer people with Swedish bits or phrases taken from the film when they fit in the conversation? Even if it's just a little "nej..." in Elin's peculiar tone of voice...

Mm, not really. I do occasionally say 'ok' in that funny way that Rebecka says it. And I am frequently tempted to throw a spectacularly irritated "OHH"! into the conversation., :wink:

Think about the movie a lot, though. Far too much, really! :roll:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby loney » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:45 am

a question:

the scene where Elin asks Agnes, "Is it true that you are a lesbian?"
and then Agnes/Rebecka says something that sounds similar to "what?" in English.. can someone tell me what that word is in Swedish, is she really just saying 'What'?
loney

Postby hcd » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:25 pm

...can someone tell me what that word is in Swedish...

The Swedish script says:

ELIN: Är det sant att du är lesbisk?
AGNES (Överrumplat): Va?

"Va" seems to be short/colloquial for vad (=what), but that's only a guess. I'm not familiar with Swedish. Maybe other forum members can help.
hcd
Faithfull Member

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:14 pm

Yes, "va" is short, or spoken version, of "vad" which means "what".

Agnes is surprised by Elin's question, and probably a little shy as well :wink:
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby kant1781 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:32 pm

Agnes&Elin Forever! wrote:And fuck is more of a bad word used mostly for swearing? I would say "knulla" is more like "shag" , just a slang for having sex :lol:

Yeah... so Shagging Åmål wouldn't do, I guess? _O^
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby kant1781 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:17 pm

hcd wrote:
... while the German subtitles have an awful lot of distortions and even faulty translations.

Really? Can you give some examples, please?

Okay, you got me :wink: We had a discussion about this here years ago, I just checked and now I think it's not as bad as my memory made me think it is. There are some mistakes, however. For example:

...when Agnes complains to her father about her mother. In the German version, this goes something like „Mama hat mich noch nie verstanden. Sie war immer so perfekt und hat es immer so gut gehabt.“ („Mum has never understood anything about me. She has always been so awfully perfect and has always had it so good.”) But then she goes on: „Sie ist eine von diesen Frauen, in deren Leben immer alles glatt gelaufen ist.“ (something like „She is one of these women that life’s been good to“) This has no basis in the Swedish where Agnes just says „Hon vat en sån som dom som...“, meaning just „She was like one of those who...“, leaving the rest open. Some commentators have (plausibly) said that what Agnes thinks is that Karin must have been like Camilla and the other girls who are harassing her.

...on the bridge, Elin says "jag menar inget dumt, men du är konstig", which means something like "I mean (to say) nothing stupid (= I don't want to offend you), but you are strange". This gets mistranslated as "Du bist nicht dumm oder so, aber du bist anders" ("You are not stupid, but you are different", which would be a silly thing for Elin to say to Agnes.

...when Agnes says „You... “ when touching Elin’s hair in the coming-out-scene, the German has her say „Gut...“ („Good...), which is all the more ridiculous since the Swedish and the German would have been identical here („Du...“).

...there is a really annoying instance of the German translators trying to be more funny than the original - when Elin says to Johan, "Du hast den Horizont einer knieenden Ameise" ("You've got the perspective of an ant on its knees"), all she really says is "Du är så jävla dum i huvet" ("You're so bloody stupid").

...as usual when films are dubbed into German, the swearing is reduced drastically. This is especially bad for a film like FÅ where the authentic raw language is important for the atmosphere. So when Jessica and Elin yell "jävla fitta" (fucking cunt) at each other, this becomes a rather lame "Drecksstück" (piece of dirt) in the German translation. German has no real counterpart to "fucking" as a swearword. German dubbing studios usually use the word "verkackt" (because of lip synchronicity) which is ludicrous because it has no sexual connotation at all and "Kacke" really is a children's word for "shit", making the people in Tarantino or Coen Brothers movies sound like six-year-olds. Consequently, Elin's reference to "fucking Åmål" gets "verkacktes Åmål" (on the bridge), and her most famous line, "Värfor måste vi bo i fucking jävla kuk Åmål ?" gets completely destroyed ("Warum müssen wir nur in diesem verschissenen Kuhdorf wohnen?" - "Why do we have do live in this shitty dead-end place?"). All this is more or less harmless, but a serious blunder is that when Elin shouts "jävla lebb!" at Agnes, this is translated as "Du kleine Schlampe" ("You little slut") instead of "Verdammte Lesbe!" ("Fucking dyke!") in German. The problem is that it is psychologically important that Elin calls Agnes a lesbian here - she is trying to fend off her own feelings for her.

There are also some inaccuracies in the talk between Elin and Jessica before the party when Johan calls and they talk about him. Elin mocks Johan's attempt to offer her a ride that morning. This goes missing in the German version, in the spoken dialogue as well as in the subtitles. There are probably more instances of this kind but I would have to rewatch it all script on my knees to find them... :wink:
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby hcd » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:52 pm

...on the bridge, Elin says "jag menar inget dumt, men du är konstig", which means something like "I mean (to say) nothing stupid (= I don't want to offend you), but you are strange". This gets mistranslated as "Du bist nicht dumm oder so, aber du bist anders" ("You are not stupid, but you are different", which would be a silly thing for Elin to say to Agnes.

Seems to be an old version. On my DVD Elin says: "Somehow you are strange. I meant no harm, but you are so different."

...when Agnes says „You... “ when touching Elin’s hair in the coming-out-scene, the German has her say „Gut...“ („Good...), which is all the more ridiculous since the Swedish and the German would have been identical here („Du...“).

Why is this ridiculous? in my opinion It fits to the scene as well as "You...".

...there is a really annoying instance of the German translators trying to be more funny than the original - when Elin says to Johan, "Du hast den Horizont einer knieenden Ameise" ("You've got the perspective of an ant on its knees"), all she really says is "Du är så jävla dum i huvet" ("You're so bloody stupid").

Annoying? It has the same meaning, so I don't have any problems with that.

...which is ludicrous because it has no sexual connotation...

The word "fucking" in this case is used to emphasize a negative meaning. In my opinion it's okay to use the word "verkackt".

...this is translated as "Du kleine Schlampe" ("You little slut") instead of "Verdammte Lesbe!" ("Fucking dyke!") in German.

I wouldn't see "Lesbe" as an swear word, so "Schlampe" is a really good choice.

The problem is that it is psychologically important that Elin calls Agnes a lesbian here - she is trying to fend off her own feelings for her.

I don't agree. When you get a wallop you react spontaneous. The feelings you metioned are pushed into the background. I don't see a need to call her a lesbian.

However, all points are just minor differences. I wouldn't go that far and call these distortions or faulty translations. If I have something to criticize then the unlogical and to constructed parts of the film. F.e.:

unlogical: Elin takes off her trousers in the elevator and yells to her sister for her skirt. Why don't she puts on the trousers again when the elevator rides down?

constructed: Who turns off his car when you stop to pick up hitchhikers?
hcd
Faithfull Member

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:31 pm

unlogical: Elin takes off her trousers in the elevator and yells to her sister for her skirt. Why don't she puts on the trousers again when the elevator rides down?

constructed: Who turns off his car when you stop to pick up hitchhikers?

The first one is explained in the script, Elin throws her trousers out of the elevator, but yes we don't see this in the film.

Second, well perhaps you don't but this man did :wink:

Why didn't you mention the real mistake, how Victoria could ring the doorbell? :lol:
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby hcd » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:34 pm

Elin throws her trousers out of the elevator

That's unlogical too. Why should she do that?

this man did

Must be a special Swedish characteristic feature.

how Victoria could ring the doorbell?

Go-Go-Gadget Arms? :P

Why didn't you mention the real mistake

I didn't recognize it. Good find.
hcd
Faithfull Member

Next

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)