Tillsammans

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

Tillsammans

Postby mpox » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:03 am

OK, there aren't any real posts in the Tillsammans forum and I just saw this so I'll talk a little about it here. :)

It's... pretty good. I have to say that coming off FÅ and L4E it'd be hard not to feel a little disappointed and that was the case. I did wait a while to watch because I didn't think it'd be fair to have it follow so closely on the heels of two of the best films I've seen, but more time wouldn't really have helped all that much. The main problem is there are a lot more characters involved and that takes away from what I feel is Moodysson's greatest strength - character development and connecting those characters to the audience. By the time you start to get a grip on who the characters are here, much less start to feel any real connection with them the film is pretty much over. It does end well but there were a few moments where I thought - if this wasn't Moodysson would you be watching, or maybe hitting the FF a little?

Also... this is kind of goofy but the kid who plays Eva's neighbor friend looks exactly like that It's Pat! character from Saturday Night Live. That probably won't mean anything to people outside of N.A., but:

So if you haven't seen it should you? I think so, but it's probably not going to rock your world like either of the others will.

I'm undecided about whether to see Hål i mitt hjärta, Ett or not. If I get the box set I'll probably watch it but I'm leaning away from that because the included copy of FÅ isn't a 16:9 print and the French version can be ordered from Amazon. I know it doesn't have English subs but I could transfer subs from the English version onto a ripped copy of the French and then... and then... Ok, yeah, it does all sound a little desperate and retarded. Maybe if I just wait long enough there'll be an anniversary release or something.
mpox
Gold Member

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)