Agnes apologizes/perfume note

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

Agnes apologizes/perfume note

Postby Alyson » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:01 am

Hi everyone!

I don´t know if there´s a post about the scene where Agnes goes to Victoria´s house to apologize but i wish we could discuss about that.
I see this this scene as a very original one! cause this kind of teenage behavior - sweetest Agnes, of course :') - is so hard to see in movies.

i read in some critic´s site:
"The movie is funny, gentle, and true. It knows how teenagers can be cruel and how sharply they can regret it... Mad at her parents, mad at herself, Agnes lashes out at her friend and mocks her gift of perfume. Later, she apologizes. In most American teenage movies, there's not depth enough for such subtlety: An insult is an insult, without nuance."

Plus: Rebecca is.just.wonderful in every.single.scene, but i just LOVE when she says: - "I don´t know why i said that..."
- "You don´t know?"
- "No..." --> Argghhhh So cute and sincere!!

Did somebody notice that when she says the perfume * in fact smeels really good *, Agnes makes a this amazing wondering face??? Like, she didn´t use the perfume BUT everybody saw Elin asking to use it, right?? :D :D
Alyson

Re: Agnes apologizes/perfume note

Postby mpox » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:22 am

Alyson wrote:Did somebody notice that when she says the perfume * in fact smeels really good *, Agnes makes a this amazing wondering face??? Like, she didn´t use the perfume BUT everybody saw Elin asking to use it, right?? :D :D

Aww, that makes me want to watch it again, and I'm trying not to see it a bunch of times and burn out on it.

I definitely think the reason she liked it was because Elin did.

One thing I was thinking was it was a bit weird for Victoria to give Agnes perfume in the first place. Maybe girls give each other perfume all the time and it doesn't mean anything but I kind of thought her insane over-the-top reaction at school afterwards was a bit like that of a spurned suitor.

Anyway welcome to the board. :) I'm afraid we missed the real action from when the film was new but the people that stuck around are pretty great and know almost everything about the film so it's fun reading their replies.
mpox
Gold Member

Postby Ian » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:33 am

I never picked up on the perfume thing, well spotted Alyson!

Rebecka is awesome in every scene, let's face it. :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby eiger » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:21 am

...but i just LOVE when she says: - "I don´t know why i said that..."
- "You don´t know?"
- "No..." --> Argghhhh So cute and sincere!!

haha, i go crazy about this second as well as you do, when she says "no" (her swedish "nej" is even better) and bites a bit on the right part of her lower lip. you must try it yourself, it really isn't that easy as it looks like.
well, it's....... can't describe what i feel when i see it. the whole scene is definetly one more beautiful detail of this beautiful movie.

since i've seen FA for the first time, this forum sometimes makes my day!
eiger
Faithfull Member

Postby Ian » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:21 am

Given that Victoria sarcastically says to Agnes at the end of that scene "Good luck with Elin", it's a pity we didn't get to see the look on her face when they walked out of the bathroom together.

:wink:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Alyson » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:59 am

Thanks for the welcome mpox! And next time you watch it don´t forget to write about this scene, okay?

Rebecka is awesome in every scene, let's face it.

hahaha Couldn´t agree more! :D

...the whole scene is definetly one more beautiful detail of this beautiful movie.

her swedish "nej" is even better

Eiger, i couldn´t agree more with you. This scene looks so simple but it is deep cos deals perfectly with human nuances.
Alyson

Postby Ian » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:19 am

Actually, re Victoria, she is there in the crowd scene at the end (you see her before they come out and everyone is speculating as to who Elin is in the bathroom with), and there is an odd look on her face. Do you think she suspects it's Agnes?
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Alyson » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:34 pm

Hi codyw1! I also noticed the odd look on victoria´s face...but i don´t know if she could suspects about it cause she was so damn mean and sarcastic before: "good luck with elin" :)
But what do you think?
Alyson

Postby kant1781 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:11 am

I've also thought about what this tells about Agnes as a character. I mean, this is the morning after the night where the dream of her lifetime has become reality, right? She must be on cloud nine, a whole new life has tentatively become visible to her. She's waiting for Elin's call to confirm that new life of hers. And what is the first thing she does in that situation? Goes off to apologize to Victoria, as if not to carry that old bag of guilt with her into that new thing...
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:57 am

Alyson wrote:Hi codyw1! I also noticed the odd look on victoria´s face...but i don´t know if she could suspects about it cause she was so damn mean and sarcastic before: "good luck with elin" :)
But what do you think?

I dunno... but I think she DOES half-suspect who it MIGHT be... :wink:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby eiger » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:35 pm

I've also thought about what this tells about Agnes as a character. I mean, this is the morning after the night where the dream of her lifetime has become reality, right? She must be on cloud nine, a whole new life has tentatively become visible to her. She's waiting for Elin's call to confirm that new life of hers. And what is the first thing she does in that situation? Goes off to apologize to Victoria, as if not to carry that old bag of guilt with her into that new thing...

it shows us that agnes is a really kind, upright person. she knows that she hurt victoria by saying these things the evening before as well as elin hurt herself by doing this kissing-bet with her sister. and elin apoligized so agnes wants to do this, too, as soon as possible. but i must admit, that, regarding the action of the last night, it seems a bit strange to see agnes sitting next to victoria directly after she left elin in the night. perhaps there's missing an analogon of the "dream scene" for agnes, that would show her sitting "on cloud nine" (isn't it seven? :wink: ). from the beginning of the film, we know that anges is very determind about her feelings for elin, anyway she must be confused about what happend in the car and so on.
eiger
Faithfull Member

Postby kant1781 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:28 pm

eiger wrote:on cloud nine" (isn't it seven? :wink: ).

Naaa.... the heaven is seven, but the cloud is nine :wink: .
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby Alyson » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:24 pm

codyw1 wrote:
I dunno... but I think she DOES half-suspect who it MIGHT be...

don´t know too...but maybe she did *half-suspect*! :D kkkk

eiger wrote:
it shows us that agnes is a really kind, upright person...

What an amazing person Agnes is!:)
And also shows that sometimes people say things they really didn´t mean...
Alyson

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)