The music of Fucking Åmål

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

The music of Fucking Åmål

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:24 pm

As you know all of the music on the FÅ soundtrack is either pop or jazz or classical music, the film has no composed "film music".

My favourite band BRODER DANIEL and their 3 included songs, Whirlwind, I'll Be Gone, and Underground, fit perfectly both the mood and the situations.

Moodysson is also a fan of them and he was really happy he could use their music in the film. He also wanted to use some music by British singer MORRISSEY, but it proved too difficult to secure the rights for this. We're left with only some photos of him in Agnes room :wink:

The song Drifter that is played in the beginning of the film during the short credit-sequence is by another Swedish indie-band called YVONNE. It's an almost eerie song that introduces us this eventually very sweet story, good contrast :wink:

I also very much like the use of the classical piece Adagio when Agnes tries to cut herself with a razor blade, and at the same time the scene where Elin is walking across the bridge back to Agnes house.

Some native English speakers have expressed discontent because Moodysson chose to use the song I Want To Know What Love Is by FOREIGNER during the kissing in the car, they say it's cheesy or something? Does the song sound silly to you guys? :o

Some apparently have wondered if the scene was meant to be ironic, but this wasn't Moodysson's intention, he just felt it was a beautiful and fitting song to have during that scene.

At first he wanted to use Total Eclipse Of The Heart by BONNIE TYLER, but this turned out to be far too expensive, they couldn't afford it.

The soft jazz song Danny's Dream by Swedish LARS GULLIN is played in the scene where Agnes is lying on the sofa talking to her father, this is a very tender scene and the music fits perfectly I think.

The rest of the music in the film is mostly 90s pop or Eurodisco, the stuff Elin and her friends listen to :lol:

Worth mentioning is the song När Vi Två Blir En, this is when Johan stands in front of the mirror before the party, it's by the popular Swedish pop band GYLLENE TIDER and the song is from the early 80s.

And of course the great song Show Me Love by ROBYN played during the end credits, a song that eventually gave it's name to the English and American release of Fucking Åmål :wink:
Last edited by Agnes&Elin Forever! on Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Re: The music of Fucking Åmål

Postby NOSSYDOOM » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:22 pm

Agnes&Elin Forever! wrote:
At first he wanted to use Total Eclipse Of The Heart by BONNIE TYLER, but this turned out to be far too expensive, they couldn't afford it.

And before that he wanted Scorpions You and I
NOSSYDOOM
Faithfull Member

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:57 pm

NOSSYDOOM wrote:

And this was also too expensive, or was there some other problem, or did he just change his mind?
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby eiger » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:28 pm

thank you for the information, nice summary :)
eiger
Faithfull Member

Postby mpox » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:17 pm

Agnes&Elin Forever! wrote:My favourite band BRODER DANIEL and their 3 included songs, Whirlwind, I'll Be Gone, and Underground, fit perfectly both the mood and the situations.

The song Drifter that is played in the beginning of the film during the short credit-sequence is by another Swedish indie-band called YVONNE. It's an almost eerie song that introduces us this eventually very sweet story, good contrast.

These are my favorite songs from the film, but in general I like how Moodysson often used music to intensify things rather than as merely background.

Some native English speakers have expressed discontent because Moodysson chose to use the song I Want To Know What Love Is by FOREIGNER during the kissing in the car, they say it's cheesy or something? Does the song sound silly to you guys?

You have to understand the place of Foreigner in popular music culture in America, they're not the most esteemed band. Even in 1998 they wouldn't have been considered popular or cool. I'm not a fan of the band or that song, but I liked it in the movie because it shows how what might normally seem trite or corny can take on a new meaning because of the circumstances. And in that context, when the music swells - I want to know what love is - really is the sentiment of both girls and it transcends the treacly Foreignerness of the song.
mpox
Gold Member

Postby kant1781 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:55 pm

mpox wrote:You have to understand the place of Foreigner in popular music culture in America, they're not the most esteemed band. Even in 1998 they wouldn't have been considered popular or cool.

...and I may add that this doesn't only go for pop culture in America... LM must have used this song with an ironic nod. I mean, what LM is really into, as far as music is concerned, is Morrissey, and you just can't seriously at the same time be into Morrissey and Foreigner. That would be like supporting Clinton and supporting McCain at the same time :wink: . The one rules out the other. But as everywhere in the film, Moodysson didn't use the music that he would have liked to hear in the scenes, but the music that the characters would probably get to hear - there's Eurodisco for Elin, Bob Hund for Agnes and Lars Gullin for Pappa Olof. And Foreigner is just what DJs on mainstream provincial radio stations play late in the night "for all the lonely people out there". That's why the song is perfect in that scene to me.
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby NOSSYDOOM » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:08 am

NOSSYDOOM wrote:

And this was also too expensive, or was there some other problem, or did he just change his mind?

He heard Total Eclipse of the heart on the radio while driving and i guess he changed his mind.

kant1781
All the music in the movie is music that Moodysson really likes, he listens to Eurodisco. He even listens to Britney Spears.
Last edited by NOSSYDOOM on Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
NOSSYDOOM
Faithfull Member

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:10 am

Yes of course Kant, Moodysson couldn't use the same kind of music throughout the film, this wouldn't have worked :wink:

But regarding Foreigner, he has said this was a nice song, he probably was aware it wasn't "cool", and of course it was meant as a "radio song".

But exactly what is meant to be ironic in the scene I wonder?
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:50 am

I love that song. It's a beautiful song, played at a beautiful moment.
Somebody really should memo me about what's supposed to be 'cool' or not these days. :roll: I think it's a beautiful love song.

Fail to see anything 'ironic' about it's use. A tad manipulative, perhaps, but in the best possible way. Shamelessly romantic, if you ask me!
Ian
Webmaster

Postby mpox » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:54 am

codyw1 wrote:I love that song. It's a beautiful song, played at a beautiful moment.

There's a copy of the commentary track (Swedish and English translation provided) from the UK DVD on droopy's site, don't worry Foreigner fans he says good things. :)

http://fucking-amal.droopy.sk/subpages/ ... dircom.htm

It's not a choice you'd make at that point to be popular, it's likely the type of music that Elin and Agnes in different circumstances might have rolled their eyes at, but when they look at each other and Elin leans over and the music swells as they start to kiss... it's a great moment.

This also seems to be a bit of the better lucky than good phenomenon that we talked about in the O'boy thread as I don't think either of the other songs mentioned would have fit the scene as well. I had to look them up on youtube, the video for that Bonnie Tyler song, oh man, haha.
mpox
Gold Member

Postby mpox » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:34 am

Thinking about this some more (hey, I'm bored :)) I think one of the things that makes it so effective is like kant says it's just the sort of thing that'd be played on late night radio and it's so unremarkable at first that it lets them spring it on you.

I've been going through the music on my computer (a stupid amount) and trying to find something else that would work as well for that scene and not really having much luck. Part of it is I don't listen to a lot of sentimental music like that, but it also has to have that innocuous -> big appropriate chorus thing. I'll edit later if I find anything but I'd be interested in hearing other people's ideas on what songs would work.
mpox
Gold Member

Postby eiger » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:18 pm

I'd be interested in hearing other people's ideas on what songs would work.

haha, nice idea, will think about this, but not before the weekend.

i want to say something general about the use of music in FA. did you notice, that moodysson arranged it in a way, that the music, that emphasizes the feelings of the scene, isn't something artificial that only we, who watch this movie, hear? in fact, the music is INSIDE the action itsself, the cameraman could record it via the microphone (of course this isn't the case because of the quality) and the actors listen to it the same as we do. For example:
-elin/jessica/johan before they go out: they all listen to the same radio-station (johan louder)
-the music on the party
-when agens wants to kill herself, she turns on albinoni, she even controls the volumen when her father knocks at the door
-in the car: foreigner comes out of the radio
and so on

i think this is something wonderful and special. just think about "titanic", when di caprio and the women (don't know any other names, you all know what i mean :wink: ) stand in up front on the ship and he spreads her arms to celine dion's hit "my heart will go on". i remember that some people startet crying when i saw it in the cinema, i think they would't do so without the music. but where comes it from?!?!?! it's clear, that if you would stand next to them, you would only hear wind, waves and the noise of the motors...completely artificial.

perhaps, a less sensitive director than moodysson would add music to other scenes, for example when agens strokes elin's hair in the toilett. on top of that he could use slow-motion or other knick-knack here, so that everybody figures "_this_is_love_,_you_must_be_deeply_moved_now!" :r ...cruel imagination!

music in FA is brillianty used in my opinion! _O_
eiger
Faithfull Member

Postby kant1781 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:16 pm

Agnes&Elin Forever! wrote:But exactly what is meant to be ironic in the scene I wonder?

codyw1 wrote:Fail to see anything 'ironic' about it's use.

I had this discussion with two other members (now gone, unfortunately) two years ago, and since I am in constant fear of repeating myself all the time and getting on people's nerves, I just refer to that topic where I have tried as hard as I can to explain where I see the irony:
http://showmelove.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=469
DISCLAIMER: Please be prepared that I call the music of the band Foreigner "inexcusable" (and worse things) in the above thread and that I really mean it. This is my personal opinion alone, every human being on this planet is very welcome to think otherwise and I shall love him or her none the less! :wink:
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:49 pm

Ok Kant, maybe you have a point (amongst all your rambling :lol: :wink: ) it's not the girls kissing each other in itself that has any irony about it, but the "romantic setting" ?

The girls are doing this crazy thing, hitch-hiking to Stockholm in the middle of the night, they kiss in the backseat of a car, a dream come true for Agnes, the radio plays this sentimental "love song".

But then they get abruptly interrupted by the man driving the car, UT UR BILEN! , and are taken back to reality.

Is this basically what you mean?
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby kant1781 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:39 pm

:Y Yes, this is basically what I mean.
kant1781
Crew Member

Next

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)