Greetings

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

Greetings

Postby fish » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:22 am

I've put off writing here for many reasons, not least because I think I'm the wrong demographic, I'm a grandfather for fk sake, but I too have to say that I love this movie. There is a chemistry between Rebecka and Alexandra which is totally enchanting and not found between characters in any/many other films. As a reviewer once said "I find it absolutely impossible to believe that Agnes and Elin are fictional characters that do not exist. It's a heartbreaking thought and I simply refuse to believe it."

There is also a supporting cast that I recognize from growing up in the 60's. I'm sure I was at "Christian's fest" many times, the hair and clothes were different but they are the same kids. It's just that as I remember it we were really cool and they're a bit lame.

From time to time I visit this forum to read what you say and I get a sense of sadness when one of you seems to fall by the wayside, so I want to try to give you a reassurance that to the thousands of anonymous visitors you are our heroes. Don't despair that you are alone, just keep up your good work.

I would like to pay particular respect to codyw1, not just because he lives in my home town, but for guiding me in finding Bear's Kiss on Ebay and for all his videos on U-Tube. Great clips, great music.

I urge all you other anonymous readers to join in and support this small band of heroes.

As a parting gesture I would like to share with you what I think are some first rate acting performances in some other first rate films. No particular order.
Jane Fonda - Coming Home
Angelina Jolie - Girl, Interrupted
Jake Gyllenhaal - Donnie Darko
Maggie Gyllenhaal - Stranger than Fiction
Audrey Tautou - Amelie
Joan Chen - Saving Face
Johnny Depp - Don Juan DeMarco
Natja Brunckhorst - Christiane F
Jenna Malone - Four Last Songs
Nicole Kidman - The Hours
Jim Carrey - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

This is not meant to be an "all inclusive list" in any way but if any of you can discover something new and enjoyable from it, then I have achieved my goal. You could even write in and let the others know.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:30 am

Aww shucks, you just made my day, fish! :oops: :D :wink:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby eiger » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:33 pm

What a kind post!

Welcome fish :)
eiger
Faithfull Member

Postby kant1781 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:36 pm

eiger wrote:What a kind post!

Indeed! _O_
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:36 am

I rather like the idea of being in a "small band of heroes". Sounds terribly cool! :wink: :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:55 am

Thank you for your kind words of welcome. I'll try to make the occasional intelligent contribution, but in the meantime I'll make do with one that's not so intelligent.

Has anyone ever noticed that Olof is left handed? At Agnes' birthday fiasco when they are eating he has his knife in his left hand and his fork in the right. Now this means either that I am very observant or that I badly need a life. No prizes for guessing which.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:38 am

yes fish, like me, you need to get a life! :lol:

I keep slowing the film down and putting the dVD on pause to pick up on details.

According to the invite (unless I got it wrong) Agne's birthday is Friday 27th April.

but 27th April in 1998 according to my diary would have been a Monday.

How sad am I.

:roll:
snaps
Crew Member

Postby fish » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:32 am

I'm sorry to say it Snaps but I think we both need to get out more often.

I was just looking for my own 1998 calendar to check, very sad indeed.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)