SML Dream

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

Postby snaps » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:42 pm

Sorry if I'm hogging the board but this thread has been a rich seam of thinking. Just putting in an original thought. I do feel the Agnes poem was a lost opportunity. Even allowing for the necessity to keep within a 90-minute time boundary, I would have been inclined to trim back some of the incidental characters interactions to allow room for this plot development.

Perhaps Elin could have exited with a hard copy of the poem, perhaps admiring it after her revisit to Rebecka? Elin is getting to an age where she can begin to see through the deceit of bogus ''Italian'' suitors and discriminate the fawning of characters like Camilla as exaggerated flattery. To have such an unsolicited expression of affection could have been a solid rock in her unstable world.

I could imagine her asking Agnes about the poem (maybe during the bridge scene) and who it was about, and Agnes rolling the dice and telling Elin it was dedicated to her. I believe this would have cemented the bond on a more practical level.

There is very little physical evidence of ''token'' objectification (apart from the yearbook photographs) which often is a key feature in such intense girl-girl relationships. (examples include the handkerchief in ''Picnic at Hanging Rock'' and Marie's theft of Floriane's throwouts in "Water Lilies, stories set 100 years apart).

I think the ''poem'' would have been an opportunity to set down a marker in their relationship.
snaps
Crew Member

Postby fish » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:24 am

snaps wrote:I could imagine her asking Agnes about the poem (maybe during the bridge scene) and who it was about, and Agnes rolling the dice and telling Elin it was dedicated to her.

But then what would be the point of Viktoria's role, and Agnes' berating of her? Not a lot is ever said about Viktoria apart from how cruel Agnes was. But that alienation led to Viktoria's revenge which let to Elin finding out that Agnes loved her, not just any girl.

I fear you're talking about an entire remake of the film here, (and can I line up for a ticket now?) :wink:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:45 am

MMM food for thought, yumyum

I'm quite ambivalent about Viktorias role as you may guess from reading my prequel blog. Viktoria is a physical (if not emotional) cripple and offers a contrast with Agnes stunted emotionality. If Viktoria didn't exist we'd probably have to invent her!! :lol: Agnes has to have someone even lower down the pecking order to put her life into the doomy relief necessary for her to contemplate suicide. I just thought the poem was a good way of making a segue between Agnes and Elin. We are not really offered a convincing explanation why Elin, the social star, would risk everything i.e. her social standing , for a fling with Agnes which she would otherwise be savvy enough to keep as a dark secret, I feel.

It doesnt require a remake, merely a minor adjustment to bring home the reality. Without a more tangible hook to the plot the whole bridge/ lets go to Stockholm routine might just as easily be a fantasy in Agnes mind.

Gosh! perhaps it was :shock:
snaps
Crew Member

Postby fish » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:19 am

snaps wrote:We are not really offered a convincing explanation why Elin, the social star, would risk everything i.e. her social standing , for a fling with Agnes which she would otherwise be savvy enough to keep as a dark secret, I feel.

You're right, in a way. There is no overt explanation, but I have chosen to accept what is so succinctly put by Deborah Conway as the reason for Elin to risk all.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxR70fpZ870
Some things are worth the risk and the "Love of a liftime" I put in that category. ^O^

I, of course, have always lived in a fantasy world. Saw the real one once. Didn't like it. :shock: :T
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:30 am

Ohhh you are a deep dark horse aren't you? 8)

Liked the clip btw! :)

I must repeat this as a mantra! :wink:

The real world is MUCH toooo scarey :shock: and it's bad for your health.

It's why I hide in here. I like the wallpaper and it tastes good too and they don't hit me if I chew it and crayon all over it. :?

I'm still waiting for the ''love of a lifetime'' but I am patient. *hint hint* :lol: :lol: :lol:
snaps
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:53 am

The impression I always get is that Elin never actually gave a toss about her 'social standing'. She doesn't even seem to like her 'friends' very much. It's almost like she's been forced into a role that she never really wanted in the first place. Stepping out of it is, of course, still scary. But in the end she chooses what SHE wants, as opposed to what has been chosen for her by others. :wink:

Wow, getting way too deep here for a Sunday morning.

Anyway, I came in this thread for another reason. Had one HELLUVA dream last night. I dreamt my parents bought me for my birthday (rather oddly since my birthday was 3 months ago :lol: ) - an all-expenses paid trip to Sweden and ticket to the Swedish premiere of Manana. Including a pass to the 'backstage' cast and crew party, where I met Alex. Didn't spend too much time with her, but we chatted a bit and exchanged smiles throughout the evening and she was very nice and friendly and lovely. Came back saying "That was one of the best experiences in my entire life." :D

Then I woke up.

F**k.
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:29 am

codyw1 wrote:The impression I always get is that Elin never actually gave a toss about her 'social standing'.

Had one HELLUVA dream last night. I dreamt my parents bought me for my birthday (rather oddly since my birthday was 3 months ago :lol: ) - an all-expenses paid trip to Sweden and ticket to the Swedish premiere of Manana. Including a pass to the 'backstage' cast and crew party, where I met Alex. Didn't spend too much time with her, but we chatted a bit and exchanged smiles throughout the evening and she was very nice and friendly and lovely. Came back saying "That was one of the best experiences in my entire life." :D

Then I woke up.

F**k.

I agree entirely that Elin "never actually gave a toss", but my view is that that frame of mind came about through her total confidence in her standing at the top of the pecking order. It's easy not to care when it'll always be there.

And as for the dream, only one word can sum it up. "Bastard". (In a caring and sharing way of course.)(Is this the emoticon for envy? :mrgreen: )
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby mpox » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:01 am

fish wrote:I agree entirely that Elin "never actually gave a toss", but my view is that that frame of mind came about through her total confidence in her standing at the top of the pecking order. It's easy not to care when it'll always be there.

Her confidence may have been helped by her social standing, but her frame of mind is based in large part on her dislike of fucking Åmål. Her greatest fear was to never get out of the place and to get the "typical" life.

I think the poem reference would have worked better in a sequel, like Elin telling Agnes that's when she first started to think of her as a real person rather than just an excuse to not go to the other party. The bridge would be too early in their relationship for them to explore any talk of feelings about one another. I think even after they kissed there's a lot of uncertainty about what it meant, obviously Agnes wants it to mean one thing it takes Elin a lot longer to accept that's what she wants too.
mpox
Gold Member

Postby fish » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:39 am

mpox wrote:Her confidence may have been helped by her social standing, but her frame of mind is based in large part on her dislike of fucking Åmål. .....

I think the poem reference would have worked better in a sequel, like Elin telling Agnes that's when she first started to think of her as a real person rather than just an excuse to not go to the other party. The bridge would be too early in their relationship for them to explore any talk of feelings about one another. I think even after they kissed there's a lot of uncertainty about what it meant, obviously Agnes wants it to mean one thing it takes Elin a lot longer to accept that's what she wants too.

I didn't mean to ignore her distain for Åmål, that's obviously crucial to the story. I guess I was just trying to find one of the reasons for her over abundant self confidence.

A sequel. Yes, I agree, the poem would work well in that context but it's probably not going to be a major part of that story. Certainly make an interesting aside though. How would Elin react?
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:41 am

fish wrote:
And as for the dream, only one word can sum it up. "Bastard". (In a caring and sharing way of course.)(Is this the emoticon for envy? :mrgreen: )

It was awesome. I was positively BUZZING when I woke up. The memory quickly fades, though. :cry: :roll:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:55 pm

codyw1 wrote:It was awesome. I was positively BUZZING when I woke up. The memory quickly fades, though. :cry: :roll:

Damn! That is an awesome dream.
Now, if your parents were to adopt me do you think you could dream up another ticket with them paying:?: :lol:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:54 pm

*Sings ''I Have A Dream" by ABBA*

I have a dream, a song to sing
To help me cope with anything
If you see the wonder of a fairy tale
You can take the future even if you fail
I believe in angels
Something good in everything I see
I believe in angels
When I know the time is right for me
Ill cross the stream - I have a dream

:Y
snaps
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:20 am

fish wrote:Now, if your parents were to adopt me do you think you could dream up another ticket with them paying:?: :lol:

LOL I just wish I could have one like that EVERY night!
Ian
Webmaster

Postby snaps » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:43 pm

I'm up for adoption! *:)* Yay! I'm not sure of the legal arrangements, guess its a bit like a ''dowry'' but my parents are up for negotiating a financial deal to see the back of me. :D
snaps
Crew Member

Postby fish » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:52 am

snaps wrote:I'm up for adoption! *:)* Yay! I'm not sure of the legal arrangements, guess its a bit like a ''dowry'' but my parents are up for negotiating a financial deal to see the back of me. :D

I can see it now...."Hello Mr Snaps. You don't know me but I'd like you to give me lots of money to take your daughter to the dark side of the moon where we'll put her to w*rk in the salt mines."

No. I don't see any flaws in that approach. :shock:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)