SML Dream

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

Postby fish » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:00 am

codyw1 wrote:Mm, yes, the "blip" on my Sherdil was not so much a blip as a full-on bloomin' cock-up. Get to the climax, and... it just froze and refused to carry on. I had to watch the rest of the film on the computer from the original file. Though then when I tried the dvd, that seemed to work on the computer too, though not on the player.

(bangs head against wall repeatedly) :roll:

I've spent the last hour playing with a program called "AVStoDVD" with a nice rounded success rate of 0%. :? (Unless I can double that in the next 5 mins I'll be forced to read the instructions again. :shock: )

I thought an "easy" solution might be the one suggested before, to convert the Real files to a Win format but I'm just starting to realise...I haven't got a bloody clue how to do that... It just doesn't seem as nice and easy as it sounds. (to me at least)

I thought computers were here to make life easy for us. :T

Before I demolish a wall with the imprint of my head do you have any ideas on this whole file conversion thingy? :?
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:20 am

You have to download a converter from the net. I use Total Video Converter, which I had to buy, though there are some free ones. Not all of them do the same thing, though. I don't think my TVC will do RM files. :roll:

I've seen three of my mix dvds on DVD Flick, and they've all been fine (save that 'skipping the penultimate track if you've got 50 on' thing.) So I really don't know what to make of the Sherdil thing. It's bloody annoying, though, especially as I liked it...
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:49 am

Thanks for that. I think I have a browse at TVC and similar rather than go crazy with AVStoDVD. It isn't as easy to understand as dvdFlick so even if it'll do a better job, it's still useless to me. :?

Spot of lunch first I think. :D
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby fish » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:43 am

I downloaded for trial "Total Video2Dvd" vers 2.8.1 from the TVC site as it will covert files and then burn them to dvd in one fairly simple process. Is this the version you use Ian?

Burned "Som kärlek fast på riktigt!", (aka Like Love But For Real), as a single file to see if it would work, and it works great! Completely blipless, (is that a word?), and pretty good quality.

Then thought I'd try Sherdil and........haven't worked out what went wrong here.......the process seemed to run its course for nearly two hours, the dvd ejected, the dvd player wouldn't recognise it, my pc tells me there are no files on the dvd.... :shock: :? :x :cry:

Is there an emoticon for "Uh-oh!"?

I guess I'll play around with it a bit more 'cause it seems to have the potential to be good, but it's a worry if it just doesn't work properly all the time.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:34 am

No, mine's just the straightforward Total Video Converter.

NOTHING seems to work properly every time! :roll: :wink:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:22 pm

Well here it is on a Saturday night, I've passed up the chance to go out for the sake of driving myself insane trying to use Total Video2Dvd. The problem seems to be that the program converts the files to an mpeg for dvd format but then refuses to burn them to said dvd. This took two tries to discover.

In the end I managed to save the converted files to somewhere I could find them and then use the infamous dvdFlick to burn them to dvd. Result, new copy of Sherdil, pretty good picture and sound quality and a complete absence of blip.

I am pleased even though it cost me a night out. Sanna Modig you owe me a dream. :lol:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby fish » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:45 am

fish wrote: Sanna Modig you owe me a dream. :lol:

Let me just tell you this, I had a dream. All I remember is being slumped by a keyboard with a computer screen showing me lots of error messages. :cry:
Not funny Rebecka! :x :wink:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:09 am

LOL Yeah, I think I might have to convert them to mpeg and do it again, I watched another of my mix dvds last night and it was perfect again, so I can only conclude that it being an RM file was the problem with Sherdil (though why it took until the last ten minutes to go tits-up is another mystery!) :roll:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:24 am

codyw1 wrote:I can only conclude that it being an RM file was the problem with Sherdil (though why it took until the last ten minutes to go tits-up is another mystery!) :roll:

I think that may be true. The difference between the unconverted RM files and the ones converted to the mpeg format was dramatic. Clear picture, no blip.....I'm lovin' it.

Might try to find a different converter program though as I don't feel like paying money for one that's supposed to burn to dvd, but doesn't.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:44 am

There's a free one called "Flv Converter" from Media Converters. As the title suggests, it'll only do flvs, but it's very good. Faster than my TVC and seems to clog up the computer less too (I'm converting Sherdil right now).
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:10 am

codyw1 wrote:There's a free one called "Flv Converter" from Media Converters. As the title suggests, it'll only do flvs, but it's very good. Faster than my TVC and seems to clog up the computer less too (I'm converting Sherdil right now).

I'm going straight there now. Sounds ideal.
Lots of them are Flv's anyway so hopefully that'll be all that's needed.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:12 am

I'm glad you guys are doing all this legwork on behalf of us dizzy ginger non-techies. _O_ When you work out the optimum configuration can you summarise for us, and give us an idiots guide to downloading. ^O^
snaps
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:39 am

I'm a bit peeved. I Flick'd the converted one this afternoon, and it seems like it fixes whatever the problem is... but it did it in frickin' full screen instead of widescreen!

Head. Wall.

:lol: Snaps. I suspect by the time we get it perfect, the buggers'll probably release the proper version then! :lol:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:34 pm

I'm not sure converting the files with "Flv converter" is the answer either. The conversion went fine, all the files were able to be burned to dvd, but the picture and sound quality were poor and I had gained a sort of mini-blip.

I think I might poke around a bit more for another converter.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:28 am

Hmm, it looked and sounded fine to me, it was just the aspect ratio that was stuffed. I'm giving it another go this afternoon. Third time lucky, I hope!
Ian
Webmaster

PreviousNext

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)