A linguistic question

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

A linguistic question

Postby Larsen » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:52 am

Are there any Swedish native speakers here?

When watching FA I had the impression that Agnes and Elin talk in slightly different ways. E.g. I noticed that Agnes pronounces "kanske" like "kanše" (I think this is standard Swedish, right?), while Elin says something like "kanCHe" (CH pronounced like in German "Bach").

Do they use different dialects, or am I completely wrong here?
Larsen
Faithfull Member

Re: A linguistic question

Postby snaps » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:06 pm

I guess you'd have to check with Magnus (Agnes&Elin Forever) next time he's round here. Agnes comes from Mariefred originally. Maybe it's intentional to show her as an outsider?

It's possible that Agnes and Elin have regional differences, as Swedish like other languages does. Kurt Wallander, (Henning Mankell's creation) as a detective, is a keen observer of dialect differences in the books.
snaps
Crew Member

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:36 am

You can pronounce "kanske" both ways, maybe the way Elin says it is somewhat more common

There are big dialectal differences in Swedish, but I'm not sure to have them speak this word in different ways was intentional

I know that Alexandra had to tone down her overall Stockholm dialect for this movie though

You can hear the way Erica Carlson speaks is genuine dialect from the area since she was born and raised in Trollhättan
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby Larsen » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:20 pm

Agnes&Elin Forever! wrote:You can pronounce "kanske" both ways, maybe the way Elin says it is somewhat more common

There are big dialectal differences in Swedish, but I'm not sure to have them speak this word in different ways was intentional

I know that Alexandra had to tone down her overall Stockholm dialect for this movie though

You can hear the way Erica Carlson speaks is genuine dialect from the area since she was born and raised in Trollhättan

Tak saa mycket!
Larsen
Faithfull Member

Postby snaps » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:46 pm

Can someone tell us a typical Swedish joke, or joke about Swedes (apart from them being named after a vegetable :lol: )

Here's an English joke about Australians (good job there aren't any listening :Y teehee! :D )

Question: How do you clear the people out of a swimming pool that's too full of Australians :?:

Answer: Chuck in a bar of soap :!: :idea:
snaps
Crew Member

Postby Larsen » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:34 pm

snaps wrote:Can someone tell us a typical Swedish joke,

This one fits in perfectly, since it is a linguistic joke:

A Finn and a Swede are arguing about which of the two languages sounds lovelier. Since they can't find a solution, they ask an Englishman to judge. The Englishman asks them to translate the following poem in their respective languages:

"Island, island, grassy island, grassy island's bride."

The Finn translates:
"Saari, saari, heinäsaari, heinäsaaren morsian."

The Englishman is quite satisfied. "That sounds lovely!" He looks at the Swede expectantly.

The Swede translates:
"Ö, ö, hö-ö, hö-öns mö."

The Englishman still looks expectantly...

---

I think "hö" means actually hay, but besides this the translation should be accurate.
Larsen
Faithfull Member

Postby snaps » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:53 pm

Very good :D Ho actually means something else in American English. :oops:

As for hay, the Swedish say ''hej'' for both hello and goodbye :? which must lead to a lot of confusion.

FRENCH GIRL: Is this farewell or au revoir?
SWEDISH GUY: Hej! :wink:

In Portuguese ''PUXE" pronounced ''push'' actually means (in English) ''pull'' which is confusing for going through doors, let alone for girls going out ''on the pull''.
snaps
Crew Member

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:47 pm

Larsen wrote:
The Swede translates:
"Ö, ö, hö-ö, hö-öns mö."

The Englishman still looks expectantly...

---

I think "hö" means actually hay, but besides this the translation should be accurate.

That was actually a good one, hadn't heard it before

And yes 'hö' means 'hay', but it's not pronounced 'ho' :wink:

In Sweden there are many jokes about Norwegians, but I can't think of any right now, I'm not into this type of 'funny stories' humour :)

Re 'hej' , we mostly say 'hej' when we meet someone and 'hej då' when we say goodbye, so there's no confusion
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby Larsen » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:39 am

Agnes&Elin Forever! wrote:[

That was actually a good one, hadn't heard it before

And yes 'hö' means 'hay', but it's not pronounced 'ho' :wink:

In Sweden there are many jokes about Norwegians, but I can't think of any right now, I'm not into this type of 'funny stories' humour :)

Re 'hej' , we mostly say 'hej' when we meet someone and 'hej då' when we say goodbye, so there's no confusion

My danish daughter (I myself am German) uses to make jokes about Swedes (they are very common in DK, as you probably know). In accordance with my daughter's age her jokes use to be rather infantil, like this one:

Hvorfor har svenske biler et hul i bunden? Saa at chauffeuren kan sige 'undskyld' naar naagen bli'r kört over. :lol:

Other jokes are dealing with Swedes coming to Själland in order to consume store mängder af snaps ('vores firebenede venner' :lol: ).

Maybe you'll like this one about the danish language. I think it was made by some Norwegians...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-mOy8VUEBk
Larsen
Faithfull Member

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:52 pm

Larsen wrote:
Maybe you'll like this one about the danish language. I think it was made by some Norwegians...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-mOy8VUEBk

:lol:

That was funny, and yes spoken Danish is often pretty hopeless to understand for other Scandinavians

Icelandic is also very different from the other nordic languages, even more so than Danish

Swedes and Norwegians on the other hand have no trouble communicating with each other
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby Larsen » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:25 pm

Can you tell me the difference between "tjej" and "flicka" - is it that the first one is more used by younger, the other one by older people?

And deos the word "pige" exist in Swedish? I believe to remember that an Icelander once told me that "pika" (or so) means something totally different in Icelandic than in Danish (namely a PART of the female body...).
Larsen
Faithfull Member

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:11 pm

'Tjej' is more for everyday use so to speak than 'flicka' , but they mean exactly the same thing ='girl'

I don't think older people use 'flicka' more or vise versa

'Piga' in Swedish is the equivalent of 'Dienstmädchen' in German, so it doesn't mean just 'girl' like 'pige' means in Danish
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby Larsen » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:42 pm

Dankeschön!
Larsen
Faithfull Member

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)