Froken Sverige

Talk about Alexandra Dahlström's films here.

Moderator: Ian

Re: Froken Sverige

Postby Dahls » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:53 pm

They do have a great line of actors and filmmakers, both exported abroad and home in Sweden, but it's not like theres no room for Alex. :?
I've seen Fröken Sverige once on netflix some months ago, and totally agree with you, Dave.
Hard to figure out why the hell she's so overlooked!
Dahls
Crew Member

Postby MSandt » Thu May 09, 2013 7:41 pm

Saw the movie yesterday. I liked it quite a bit. Dahlström was of course very good and the movie's soundtrack reminded me of FÅ in its effectiveness. Most of all I liked how the movie portrayed the extreme left as the hypocrits they are, intolerant of anyone who doesn't act and think like they do. Moa is easily identifiable as an individualist hero who fights against an imperfect world, including its fascism represented by her communist friends.

Suddenly I developed an urge to buy my next meal from McDonald's.
MSandt
Faithfull Member

Postby fish » Fri May 10, 2013 9:28 am

MSandt wrote:...Suddenly I developed an urge to buy my next meal from McDonald's.

Nooooo! :shock: :P :lol:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Fri May 10, 2013 10:09 am

Conformism is always the enemy.

Woah, that's deep. :lol:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby M83 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:59 am

kant1781 wrote:I saw Fröken Sverige again last week for the second time only (first time being sometime around 2006). It is repeating the obvious, of course, but nevertheless imperative, to point out again what a phenomenal actress Lex is. The film is no masterpiece, but her achievement as the lead is just stunning. Flawless. Better even than her performance in FA, way more refined, subtle, confident. The fact that Moa is no intergalactical cutie like Elin only serves to make this more obvious. For the umpteenth time I find myself totally unable to think of just any reason why Lex did not receive offers for more lead roles in better movies after this one. It is beyond me. Is there such an amazing amount of talent in Sweden that they can afford to waste this kind of giftedness?

I know this is an old message, and the user probably isnt around anymore. But the last bit interested me, I think what didn't help Alexandra in a way that she was only 14 when FA really hit, so she couldn't really strike while the iron was hot. I'm sure the Swedish industry isn't churning out many films yearly, so roles were going to be tough to come around for a teenager. Maybe she wanted to spend times hanging around with friends, and doing teenage stuff and get by with her studies. We don't know if Alexandra even wanted to act during that time, she barely did anything until Froken Sverige that was 6 years later and she was 20 years of age. I'm sure if she was the same age as Rebecka, she probably would have been offered more adult roles. Even today I don't think acting is really Alexandra's main focus.

Rebecka didn't really strike out either after FA either, Bear Kiss is probably her biggest role and Sherdil too, and her experience on BK didn't seem like it was all that great. But even her heart wasn't in acting.

I don't think I blame the Swedish industry for wasting the two of their talents, I just think one wasn't that interested in a film career (Rebecka) and the other was really too young to strike while the iron was hot (Alexandra). I think Rebecka had the potential to be a star, she had the looks (Alicia Vikander looks a bit like her) and I thought she had the more acting range. I'm surprised Alexandra hasn't really had a more successful career in Sweden, maybe working on TV or more supporting work in films.
M83
Gold Member

Postby fish » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:19 am

Hey Kant.
Are you still around?
Any thoughts on M83's post?

While undoubtedly a beautiful woman, Alex is not the archetypal film star beauty.
Too short and the wrong body shape.
In a world where tall, thin, long legged beauties are common Alex would always struggle to find main-stream roles. (particularly US ones which dominate the film world)
She's an amazing talent as a filmmaker though, and her cameo appearances are a treat.

From her early days in film she also worked behind the scenes with Lukas.
On FÅ where she came up with the idea for the ending scene, and in Lilya where she was interpreter and a scriptwriter for some of the scenes.

I think Alex was always destined to be in the film industry and still has an amazing future ahead of her.

Bex on the other hand was always going to study medicine.
According to many reports, she took the role in Bear's Kiss solely to finance her studies at Karolinska.
Sadly I don't think we'll ever see her in film again and we should treasure those little interviews she does every now and then.

Both are beautiful and amazing women.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby M83 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:58 am

fish wrote:Hey Kant.
Are you still around?
Any thoughts on M83's post?

While undoubtedly a beautiful woman, Alex is not the archetypal film star beauty.
Too short and the wrong body shape.
In a world where tall, thin, long legged beauties are common Alex would always struggle to find main-stream roles. (particularly US ones which dominate the film world)
She's an amazing talent as a filmmaker though, and her cameo appearances are a treat.

From her early days in film she also worked behind the scenes with Lukas.
On FÅ where she came up with the idea for the ending scene, and in Lilya where she was interpreter and a scriptwriter for some of the scenes.

I think Alex was always destined to be in the film industry and still has an amazing future ahead of her.

Bex on the other hand was always going to study medicine.
According to many reports, she took the role in Bear's Kiss solely to finance her studies at Karolinska.
Sadly I don't think we'll ever see her in film again and we should treasure those little interviews she does every now and then.

Both are beautiful and amazing women.

But plenty of great actresses out there that aren't typical beauties who craved out fantastic careers, Sally Hawkins and Olivia Coleman come to mind for me even Claire Foy isn't a classic beauty. She didn't have to be a lead actress, but even a character actress or even working on TV on Soaps or Weekly dramas. Her performance in FA won her awards in Sweden.

I think you could be on to something with Alex probably wanting to be more behind the scenes, as we know it's not easy getting any kind of film done. Maybe that's why her C.V for acting isn't stacked as acting is just seen as a hobby. She also went on to study in Italy for a time didn't she. I get with Alex that her acting career was just one of the finger she had in her creative pie, along with Directing and DJing. It probably was never her main focus, but she did for most of the early 00's give it a go but she never got the roles.

With Bex, it's just a case of someone wanting a different career and a awesome one been a doctor, also been a mother. The funny thing with Bex is she had the looks and talent to be a lead actress more so then Alex. You can tell that Bear Kiss was done for the money, her performance isn't great and she looked like she was sleepwalking through that role.

Both women's are great.
M83
Gold Member

Postby fish » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:49 pm

Even from the early contact with Lukas on FÅ Alex has seemed to be very interested in what goes on behind the camera.
I think she always knew that was where she was going.

Bex has admitted that she took the role in Bear's Kiss to pay for her study at Karolinska.

Classical beauty is nice, but there are other more important values in beauty.
I love Sally Hawkins.
Such a great talent and seems to be a genuinely nice person. :D
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby M83 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:57 am

fish wrote:Even from the early contact with Lukas on FÅ Alex has seemed to be very interested in what goes on behind the camera.
I think she always knew that was where she was going.

Bex has admitted that she took the role in Bear's Kiss to pay for her study at Karolinska.

Classical beauty is nice, but there are other more important values in beauty.
I love Sally Hawkins.
Such a great talent and seems to be a genuinely nice person. :D

To be fair, most of the talented youngsters from Moodysson's film's haven't gone on to do anything great after their great turns in his films.

Together (2000)- Sam Kessel and Emma Samuelsson who played the siblings in that film. It was Samuelsson's only film. Kessel was acting before the film but after it, he would on and off until 2009 then nothing after that.

Lilya 4 ever (2002)- Oksana Akinshina in terms of her career, she's the most successful. Besides Bourne film she did, she really has stuck to Russian cinema playing Girlfriend or wife roles. She hasn't done a role as great as Lilya since but she's still acting today so she's done great overall. Artyom Bogucharsky who played Volodya did short films here and there but mostly works on stage it seems.

A Hole In My Heart (2004)- Bjorn Almroth who played the son Eric of the film, hasn't done a film since. He was really good in this but the film was never going to get him major attention to be fair. He's now a Coordinator Agaisnt Violent Extremism. Funny side not the actress in the film Sanna Brading went on to host Sweden's version of Pop Idol, she was only a few years older then Bjorn too.

Mammoth (2009)- Sophie Nyweide who played the daughter of Gael García Bernal and Michelle Williams. Also seems to have stopped acting since 2015, although she seemed to have done some work in decent films like Margot At The Wedding, Bella and Noah. So she at least had a few good film besides Mammoth on her C.V.

We Are The Best! (2013)- Mira Grosin who played Klara, had a short film called Astrid before she did We Are The Best!. She didn't do anything until 2018 when she did this Netflix Swedish Comedy/Drama called Bonus Family and even then she isn't in the main cast and is only in 3 episodes of 16 episode series. But it seems like she's trying for a acting career. Mira Barkhammar who played Bobo, did a film called For Better and Worse in 2015 and then a short in 2018 called Itu even then she's not the lead in it. Liv LeMoyne who played Hedvig, she seems to have took a few years off and then in 2017 did a short called Smil (2017) she's the lead in that. Then in 2018 did Becoming Astrid, the biopic on creator of Pippi Longstocking. She doesn't feature in the trailer but she's high up in the cast list. At least three stars from that film are still wanting to be actresses.

So Rebecka and Alexandra aren't alone in not going onto bigger things in the film industry. It's a tough one out there, no matter how awesome a film and performance you put in, you need to strike while the iron is hot.
M83
Gold Member

Postby fish » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:16 am

M83 wrote:...It's a tough one out there, no matter how awesome a film and performance you put in, you need to strike while the iron is hot.

It seems to be a very tough business to break into and it also seems that quite a few of the "young attractive" ones fall victim to predators in positions of power.
Such a risky business. :evil:

Also many of the people you named were very young and hopefully they had good guidance to finish their education.
It seems that Bex did.

Oksana seems to have stayed in the business long term and I've enjoyed watching a few of her films.
I hope she's been treated well.

With Alex's attendance at the recent "Me Too" event in Stockholm I fear she may not have been so lucky. *:|*
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby M83 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:11 pm

fish wrote:
M83 wrote:...It's a tough one out there, no matter how awesome a film and performance you put in, you need to strike while the iron is hot.

It seems to be a very tough business to break into and it also seems that quite a few of the "young attractive" ones fall victim to predators in positions of power.
Such a risky business. :evil:

Also many of the people you named were very young and hopefully they had good guidance to finish their education.
It seems that Bex did.

Oksana seems to have stayed in the business long term and I've enjoyed watching a few of her films.
I hope she's been treated well.

With Alex's attendance at the recent "Me Too" event in Stockholm I fear she may not have been so lucky. *:|*

It's just tough out there for young women and men, some creepy stories sadly. But fingers crossed none of the actors or actresses came across this during their time on Moodysson's films, going by how Alex worked on two films with him and was hanging with his wife at a gig (The Cure) a few years back, it didn't seem to happen during his films.

That's the thing Rebecka and the lad from a Hole in My Heart were both the oldest at the time of their films, so they probably finished school and could have struck out for a film career. But both went into different careers. I'm happy to see the three young ladies from We Are The Best! are looking like they are getting into acting, they were all excellent. I wished Alex had a bigger career but she seems happy now and seems to have a interesting life, so who am I to complain.

Oksana has done well, maybe typecast but hey. But she was always a beauty that alone would have got her far. I hope she was treated well, but she was married twice to two older guys and one at a young age, so I don't know. Wouldn't surprise me if she was hassled at a young age.
M83
Gold Member

Postby fish » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:25 am

M83 wrote:...Wouldn't surprise me if she was hassled at a young age.

Maybe in the future there will be more reports of harassment/abuse of those we care about.
I hope not, because I would love to think that their lives were free from that.

Like I said, maybe in the future.
If it does come to pass we should offer them all the support, tacit or otherwise, that we can.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Previous

Return to Alexandra Dahlström