Doctor Who

Moderator: Ian

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Ian » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:54 am

Saw The Five Doctors last night. I haven't seen this for a very long time, at least 7 years and I have a feeling it may even be longer than that, but for some reason I was just feeling in the mood and threw it on last night. Loved it. A glorious celebration of classic Who with enough nostalgia and warmth to cheer anyone up. Troughton and Pertwee slip back in like they've never been away, and Hurndall makes a way better faux 1st Doctor than a certain someone else ever did. Lovely. :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:42 am

Looks like the animations may be coming quicker sooner than later. The October 27 London Comic-Con will not only see a clip from the upcoming Faceless Ones animation but also announce what the next animation following that will be.

Place your bets now! :D *:)*

Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:04 am

Is there ever going to be a new series of DW come out on TV?
Or doesn't anyone care any more? :? :(

Nice legs BTW.

Not you. :N
I meant Karen of course. :roll:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:15 am

I think it's next year.
Not that many do. :shock: :P
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:11 am

Ian wrote:...Not that many do...

I would have liked Jodie Whittaker's "Doctor" to be a success but there doesn't seem to be much momentum at the moment.
Shame really as I think it was a brave move casting her in the role and it was deserving of success.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:44 am

Fury from the Deep is to be animated! The announcement was made at the London Comic-Con on Sunday. This 6 part 2nd Doctor story is completely missing in its original form, but will be fully animated in colour and b&w for DVD and Blu ray release next year, following The Faceless Ones.

Fantastic news! *:)*
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:50 am

Season 14 is to be the next classic season blu ray set, out in the UK in April. Tom Baker's third season featuring stories such as The Deadly Assassin, The Robots of Death and The Talons of Weng-Chiang.
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:24 am

Contrary to previous statements that some of the missing stories were unlikely to be animated because of complexity - many of the Hartnell historicals in particular - the animators are saying that all the missing stories now could be done (though obviously they won't unless sales stay good).

*:)*
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:05 am

Saw the new animation of Fury from the Deep last night, a story that, aside from reading the novelisation as a kid, I've really little familiarity with, obviously because the whole thing is missing. I was actually planning to watch just the first 3 eps and watch the rest tonight, but ended up watching the whole thing! Considering that I somewhat struggled to get through The Faceless Ones, even the second time, that's probably a good indication that I absolutely loved this! I was really surprised by how much fun this one was. It took me a little while to get used to the animation but once the story got going I was all in, and it kept me gripped throughout all 6 episodes, which went by surprisingly fast, I thought. For a character I'm not that much of a fan of, Victoria's departure was surprisingly emotional and well set up and played - she doesn't really want to leave the Doctor and Jamie, but she just can't hack being scared out of her wits every five minutes everywhere they go. Can't really blame her! This was great and Fury definitely joins the ranks of my fave 2nd Doctor stories. Roll on Evil of the Daleks and The Abominable Snowmen (hopefully!). :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Fri May 07, 2021 9:52 am

The season 3 William Hartnell story Galaxy 4 is to be animated, according to the Daily Mirror.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/lost-doctor-who-episodes-starring-24056014

We're still waiting to get confirmation on Evil and Snowmen (though that leaked Evil storyboards thing on YT last month seems to indicate that one at least is true).

Galaxy 4 isn't the most hyped tale but it seems quite good from the extant episode and just getting a Hartnell animated at last is exciting!
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:29 am

Terror of the Autons on Blu ray. First off, the PQ, while still not as good as some others, IS an improvement. So too are the optional CGI fx, particularly the Nestene at the end which almost makes you understand why the Master chickens out! :lol: The best thing, though, is the "smoothing out" of all that terrible, garish CSO/back projection, which now looks SO much better and more natural. It really makes the story a lot easier to watch, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Bravo! :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:33 am

Evil of the Daleks is being animated! Will be out in Sep in the UK (probably Oct/Nov in Aus). :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:34 am

Now that would have been my choice for a female Doctor...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:14 am

Is that your Tardis parked over there in the background?
No wonder she looks so upset. :roll: :P :lol:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:32 am

Big Doctor Who news today... Russell T Davies is returning as showrunner for 2023 and beyond, with production of the show now being the responsibility of BBC Studios (the BBC's commercial arm) and independent production company Bad Wolf (headed by Julie Gardner and Jane Tranter, the RTD era co-producer and BBC1 Controller of the time respectively). This marks the first time in the show's history the ongoing series will be produced by a company outside the BBC and the first time a former showrunner has returned.
No announcements as yet on cast for the "new" era.
Ian
Webmaster

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment