What Are You Currently Watching (on tv/dvd)?

Moderator: Ian

Re: What Are You Currently Watching (on tv/dvd)?

Postby fish » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:58 am

Ian wrote:...a victim of its own cleverness...

Nothing like writing yourself into a corner to test your own literary abilities. :? :P
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:24 am

I've actually been tuning in to Neighbours this week, for the first time in about 13 years. Mainly because they've brought Sky and Lana back for a guest stint. Never expected to see either again, esp the latter, who although somewhat a landmark as the show's first gay character was still only a 3-month guest in 2004/2005. She and Sky were best friends, and she had a massive crush on her but while it teetered on the edge a couple of times they never actually became a couple, which I thought was a huge mistake. But lo and behold, Sky's apparently decided she quite likes going that way after all, and they've come back as a couple and actually got married yesterday.
Must admit, didn't see that coming. :shock: :D *:)*
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:01 am

Took all this time to respond to societies changes.
Nothing like being a modern relevant show I suppose. :roll: :P
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:54 am

I have long thought that they just bottled out at the time. One of the many disappointments that led to me stop watching again.
But at least they got with the program eventually. *:)* :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:51 am

Aww. :oops: :lol:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:27 am

Neighbours a decade or so later?????? :wink:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:09 am

15 years apart. So cute, and very well spotted. No idea if the actress did it deliberately, but it's so damn sweet. :oops: :lol:

The recent brief Sky/Lana return/reunion actually kind of inspired me to search out some old (Christ, 2004 is "old" now, s*** :evil: :T :lol: ) Neighbours episodes. Saw the first ep of 2004 last night. Don't think I saw it the first time - I think it was sometime during the year I started watching again, though I had been intrigued by them bringing in Sky (last seen as a toddler back in 1991!) and bringing back David Bishop (and actually played by the same actor who played him for a brief guest role in 1988!). I enjoyed it. Reminded me of how much I liked many of these characters before they were either killed off or ruined in the subsequent years, especially David and Liljana, and Sky. Lord, Sky looks so young :lol: ! I don't even mean compared to today, even compared to the end of 2004 she looks like five years younger! :lol:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Santi » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:28 pm

My wife wants to see the movie Contagion (2011).
It seems to be similar to what we are going through. :T
Santi
Crew Member

Postby fish » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:19 am

Santi wrote:...similar to what we are going through...

With Alan Krumwiede. :shock:
What a great name for a character in a movie. :roll: :lol:

Yes, it all seems a bit close to home doesn't it? *:|*
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:26 am

I'm sorry, :P , but I'm kinda bingeing on 2004 Neighbours now. :lol: Generally very enjoyable so far. The Rocco/Carmella stuff is silly (I still don't get why they were so enamoured with the latter, she's very bland, but oh let's make her a regular and *never* bring back Lana (sorry, still bitter here :evil: :twisted: :P ) and Trixie is horrible. But the rest of the cast is really strong at this point, so if an episode doesn't have Sky or the Bishops it doesn't matter, because it'll have Max and Steph and Summer and Izzy instead. It's pretty addictive at present, and will only get even better when Lana turns up. It's a shame to think it all turned to crap again in 2005. :roll:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Santi » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:32 pm

I do not like the series, :N but you make me want to see this series. :lol:
Santi
Crew Member

Postby Dahls » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:31 pm

So I wanted to talk about this series I was watching a few weeks ago.
Or should I say binging.
It's three seasons long (and unfortantly stopped at three :( ), but I went through them all within a week, which is highly unusual for me, but I just couldn't help myself.
This is sort of the reason why I came to revisit this lovely site, I'll get back to that.

It's called Anne with an E, and is a retelling of the classic world famous novels about Anne of the Green Gables, in which you probably might know.
It's quite darker and grittier than the original litterature and all other film/tv-adaptations over the years, as I understand (never read them nor have I seen any other versions myself), but it's got heaps of heart and emotion to balance it out.

If you don't know the story (which I didn't prior watching it) it's about an adorable young orphan girl who comes from an abusive childhood at the orphanige and various of not so good familys, to be adopted by two aging siblings from a farm in Prince Edward Island, Canada, in the 1890s.
She suffer much hardship trying to get accepted in the small (and, at times, smallminded) community. She's sort of on the bottom of the class hirarki, being an redhead orphan with freackles, but gradually wins them over with her charming and inocent ways.
I love how everyone's life and perspective seems to change, over time, by her entry.
She is free thinking and outspoken (not very appreciated for a child in a narrow minded time) with an incredible imagination, probobly developed from years of isolation and hiding in her previous harsh childhood, and she's also quite the scatterbrain.
And God, I just love the relationship she has with her new adoptive parents, the three of them are suburbly casted, all actors simply nails it. I've been moved to tears more often than I care to admit by their loving interactions.
They're both unmarried without children, brother and sister, and just now learning the notion of life that's more than routine and farming.

The cinematography is nothing but breathtaking.
The production was based mostly in Ontario, but scenery shots were made in Prince Edward Island, as appropriated, with wonderful panoramic views of the vast fields, cliffs and beautiful nature.

Like I said, I watched all of it, 27 episodes, within a week, and when i was done I could't stop thinking about it. Like it really struck a nerve in me, I didn't know what to do.
So a couple of days later I came to the only conclution i could: I'll just simply watch it again. :T
Starting from episode 1, I watched the entire thing over again, but still I couldn't rid myself of thinking about this show.

It gives me this gitty feeling, like when you were a child visiting the countryside, walking through a field and letting your fingers run through the tall grass, getting facinated by a ladybug or butterfly landing in your hand.
Yes, it basicly gives me butterflies. :)
A real feelgood series I'd say, but with much excellent written drama that'll keep you on the edge of your seat.

So I realised, this was pretty much the same feeling I had when I saw FÅ 8 or 9 years ago. I still remember the mix between butterflies and despair, roaming the internet and eventually landing on this site, giving me some theraputic company from likeminded people.
I thought it might help coming back and unburden my feelings a bit.

Anyway, I don't know if I'm selling this any good, feel I'm a bit all over the place trying to explain how deep this got to me. *:|*
I can't imagine anyone here not truley enjoing this show though.
Maybe as much as I did, or maybe to a lesser extent.
I highly recomend giving it a try, It's on netflix, but can of course also be bought on dvd.
Dahls
Crew Member

Postby fish » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:22 am

Dahls wrote:...Or should I say binging...

One of the few positives of being socially isolated is having the time to catch up on these things. *:)*

I must confess I haven't ever watched "Anne with an E" before but you've given me an incentive now.
If only I could find the time. :roll: :T :lol:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:22 am

Talking of bingeing in isolation...

Still bingeing 2004 Neighbours. Stingray is cracking me up. The scene where he's having breakfast with the Bishops was hilarious. Starts rubbing his foot on Serena's, she awkwardly moves away, he tries again and gets David, who think it's Liljana and starts grinning goofily at her, who looks at him utterly bewildered! :lol:

Both David and Lil are incredibly underrated, and both really funny too. I loved the scene where they're getting friendly in the surgery/lawyer reception area, and Lil says they'd better stop in case Karl catches them.

David: Doesn't he approve of messing around during work hours?

Lil: Oh no, he does... just not between married couples.

Ouch! :lol:

Some incredibly lovely females of across multiple age groups in this era too. Only downside is no Lana yet, but I'm sure she'll turn up eventually. :wink:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Dahls » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:29 pm

fish wrote:you've given me an incentive now.

I do hope you take me up on that, I promise you won't be sorry.

Ian wrote:Talking of bingeing in isolation...

I'm not even in isolation. Just seem to find myself spending all the time after work to binge lately.
Dahls
Crew Member

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment