Last Film You Watched

Moderator: Ian

Postby Rebecka Fan » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:39 am

codyw1 wrote:What's it about, Kyle (other than seeing Tove in the nude, of course) :wink: ? Is it available on dvd?

I'll have a look for KG next time I venture into JB HI-FI. :wink:

Hannah is a young woman in college/university and she loves to write, particularly poetry. She's always leaving post-it-notes of her writing/notes/poetry. Well, there's this man whom she meets in a coffee shop that she's a regular at and he tells her that he's an English professor. What she doesn't know is that he's stalking her.

That's the basic premise. It is on DVD, although my copy was a torrent. The film is based on a book, which (the title) translated into English is called, A Different Way.
*Kyle*
I'm a Guy Directioner.
Rebecka Fan
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:50 am

Cheers, Kyle. Hannah Med H. Another for my "to get" list (along with Kamikaze Girls. And Manana, of course, when that comes out)! :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:34 am

Saw Halloween H20 again last night. Not bad, with some good moments, though the climax never really feels climactic ENOUGH. The original remains the best, of course, with 4 the best of the sequels.
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:52 am

Just caught Anna Tsuchiya (Ishiko/Ichigo from Kamikaze Girls) as Kiyoha in Sakuran on the World Movie Channel.

The story of a young girl sold into a brothel and her problems adapting to life as an Oiran. (Courtesans in the Edo period around 1600-1850 in Japan. Oiran were apparently in vogue before Geisha came onto the scene.)

Another film full of colour (like K Girls). Anna is just perfectly beautiful in the costume and make up of an Oiran. A lot of Manga influence again, like K Girls.

Certainly worth watching as a purely visual feast but I'll need to see it a time or two more to take in the storyline. I'll make sure I record it next time it's on.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:14 pm

Rebecka Fan wrote:Last nite I watched Hannah Med h. Tove was quite good in that film! And no, I'm not talking about the nude scenes, lol. Although they were good too. I recommend this film to anyone who loves Swedish cinema.

Any idea where I could get it from? Doesn't seem to be on ebay...
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:48 pm

codyw1 wrote:Any idea where I could get it from? Doesn't seem to be on ebay...

Amazon have it listed but showing "Currently unavailable."

Doesn't seem to be on Ebay most anywhere in the world, I've looked. That's also under "A Different Way".

What's the production company name? Maybe there's some info on availability there.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby fish » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:16 pm

Watched about half of a burned copy of Butterfly, a 2004 Chinese film. Lots of flashbacks, much like two stories running together, but very much inter-related.

Subtitles flow through pretty quickly and the picture quality wasn't so good (U-Tube clips), but the film looks like it might be worth an investment in a real copy. Found a seller in Hong Kong but it's not on Ebay and I'm a bit reluctant about having credit card details floating around too much so I'll have to think about it a bit yet. :?
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:45 pm

I'm having a very heavy repeat viewing of Ginger Snaps trilogy atm, it must be hormonal or something as we are entering Summer Solstice here :evil: Arooooooo! :shock:
snaps
Crew Member

Postby fish » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:21 am

snaps wrote:I'm having a very heavy repeat viewing of Ginger Snaps trilogy atm, it must be hormonal or something as we are entering Summer Solstice here :evil: Arooooooo! :shock:

So tell me this then....Is the trilogy three actual movies starting with Ginger Snaps? Or like a spin off into a tv type series? Or am I missing the point completely. (Hard to believe, I know. :roll: )

I mean the movie got pretty full on positve reviews so I would like to know if the rest of it is as good. :? :wink:

Winter solstice here....cold. (by our standards). :Z
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:51 am

There's three, the original, a sequel and then a sort of prequel set a hundred years earlier or something. I've seen the first two but not the latter.
Ian
Webmaster

Postby snaps » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:09 pm

I like them all, and the two after Ginger Snaps are not like cheapo ''cash-in'' on the first. They are quite different stories. After all, Ginger has been killed off in the first one, and only appears as a ghost to haunt and taunt her younger sister who comes into her own in the second film. The third one very imaginatively sets up a prequel set a century before. This provides an unusual but related story and rounds matters off by tieing up loose ends which go towards explaining the behavior of the girls in the first film. :Y

Winter solstice? :? Is everything upside down in Australia? Nevermind fish, you can take Lambrusco home with you, her fur will keep you warm at nights :lol:
snaps
Crew Member

Postby fish » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:37 pm

A little more research and the Ginger Snaps Trilogy might find itself at the top of my "to buy" list. Sounds very good. :D

snaps wrote:... you can take Lambrusco home with you, her fur will keep you warm at nights :lol:

Sort of winter furries instead of winter woolies. Not sure the pet sheep will like it but it sounds good to me. A jealous sheep is a fearsome thing indeed. :twisted: :lol:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:26 pm

I don't know the details but a friend of mine managed to ''torrent'' or whatever it's called all three for me. I don't exactly approve of that but having looked round couldn't find them anywhere although oddly enough I did see a video of Ginger Snaps in a charity shop last week and Ginger Snaps Back as a DVD on a market stall yesterday.

I watched the middle one again today while pretending to w-o-r-k. Again like the first one the accompanying music is very well done. I find the more I watch the more I see the humor in-between the lines, some of which are very funny in a deadpan ''gallows humor'' way.

The two young leads, Emily Perkins and Katharine Isabelle, have both had a steady stream of acting work since. They both put in excellent performances and the minor roles were well scripted and acted too. Especially noteworthy the Mother and Sam in the first film and Tatiana Maslany as Ghost in ''Ginger Snaps; Unleashed'' whose giggly manic wierdness provides the perfect counterblance to Brigitte's doomy depressive nature. :twisted:

P.S. You have rampant killer sheep in Australia too? :shock:
snaps
Crew Member

Postby fish » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:14 am

The Ginger Trilogy sounds very promising. :D

:shock: Killer sheep? No that's just my pet sheep Moa. Not named after you know who but named for how useful she is with the lawns. :roll:

O-) I don't very often slag off on films so I'll be as gentle as I can here. I expect that some people liked it.
I watched Better Than Chocolate yesterday because the concept of the film appealed and the two leads were cute.
But, the script needed a writer with talent who could give some quality lines instead of the pointless garbage used. The cast looked like they were on their first (and last) job, and the director led it all on a descent towards the very obvious ending. Most of the comedy was just poorly done slapstick humour, more cringworthy than funny.

I'm glad I was gentle. :N The concept was still good though and the lovemaking scenes were well done. :| Oh, the redhead was gorgeous too. :)
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:14 am

I've seen that, I didn't hate it, but I didn't like it much either. Instantly forgettable. The redhead was hot, though, as you say. :wink:

I may get round to renting GS3 one day. I just thought it looked a bit on the desperate side, the whole prequel idea...

Anyhoo, saw Leon again last night. First time in about 9 years (for some reason, I shan't leave it so long again). Still excellent, with great performances from Jean Reno, a wildly OTT Gary Oldman and the adorable Natalie Portman. Near-perfect.
Ian
Webmaster

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment