What Are You Currently Watching (on tv/dvd)?

Moderator: Ian

Re: What Are You Currently Watching (on tv/dvd)?

Postby Ian » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:25 am

The Bill: Lone Ranger/Old Flame/Push It/Kiss Off. PC Eddie Santini is desperate to get out of Sun Hill and into a position on Drugs Squad. To this end he gets info from a female informant - who he also happens to be sleeping with - in order to set up a decidedly unofficial sting on a drug dealer. Things do not go as planned and he finds himself compromised while people start to die. And just when he thought things couldn't get any worse, one of the people on the Murder Squad turns out to be former PC now DS Rosie Fox, the young woman he bullied and harassed out of Sun Hill less than a year before. This gripping four-parter sees the downfall of the rather horrible Eddie Santini, a first class A grade sheister who finally puts himself into trouble he can't talk his way out of. Great stuff.
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Tue May 03, 2016 10:06 am

The Bill: Foreign Body. A police chase ends in a crash, a dead driver - and the unexpected discovery of a dead woman in the driver's boot. The case soon takes an unexpected turn that leads DCI Jack Meadows and DC Rod Skase to France, where things don't exactly go as planned... Although it starts off on a serious note, this feature-length special soon turns into a very funny episode with our two detectives being decidedly fish out of water. Rod is on particularly fine form; I do love that berk. :lol:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby DMt. » Fri May 06, 2016 1:17 pm

THE SINGER NOT THE SONG (1961) Dirk Bogarde - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsh_IqEC7mY

Saw this on TV some time in the 1690s, I can't have been much more than 12; remembered it the other day, and there it was [albeit in a horrible lo-res version] on the Tube. Bogarde later described his performance as 'a love affair with myself...nobody in that whole bloody organisation had a clue what I was up to!' - but he neglected to credit the black leather pants he wore as the bandit Anacleto, which really should have had their own agent.

It now reads as a tour-de-force of menacing camp [though of course I couldn't see this as a child, and just thought Bogarde's thoughtful, intelligent baddie rather cool], but apparently the critics of the day spotted this, and Bogarde's then-legions of fangirls too; it flopped as box-office, but has since [apparently] gained cult status. Well worth a look, I think, despite the obtrusive music score.
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Tue May 10, 2016 10:05 am

Been marathonning 3rd Rock from the Sun at tea-times, and enjoying it muchly. John Lithgow is hilarious.
William Shatner was in the one I saw yesterday, leading to this exchange with Lithgow when he arrived at the airport:

Lithgow: Did enjoy your flight?
Shatner: Not really. I thought I saw something on the wing of the plane!
Lithgow: The same thing happened to me!

:lol:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Wed May 11, 2016 7:39 am

Love that show. (Especially Sally) *:)* :)P :lol:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Mon May 16, 2016 11:30 am

Listened to the Who audio Davros, which was excellent. Found floating in space in suspended animation, Davros gets the chance of redemption working for a massive corporation as head scientist, over the Doctor's obvious objections. But wherever Davros goes, manipulation follows, always with one goal - to gain power, and then use that power to spread death and destruction.... Great story, Colin excellent as always (I think he's my favourite audio Doctor), some amusing satire on a particular brand of academic liberalism that refuses to condemn anything or anyone as evil no matter how much they deserve it, and Terry Molloy absolutely hitting it out of the park as the Big D. What a goshdarn loony! :shock: :lol:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:00 am

Listened to the Who audio The Secret History. The 1st Doctor is somehow replaced in his timeline by the 5th, who finds himself, Steven and Vicki in Roman times toward the decline of their Empire. Separated during an incident that sees Steven shipped off to Constantinople, the Doctor and Vicki set off in pursuit - unaware that not all is as it seems, and their arrival is expected... This was quite good. I loved the first episode, but though I thought it went a bit downhill in the end, a bit too convoluted and fan-ficcy (I would have been happy had it just stayed a more or less straight historical as the first episode basically was), but it was well-staged and never lost my interest or the ability to entertain. I just really, really enjoyed hearing a new Steven and Vicki story - especially since they were such a promising pairing that never got fully exploited on TV, and Peter Purves and Maureen O'Brien did a frankly stellar job of seeming like their 20something TV selves given they're both in their 70s now! They should do more.
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:58 am

Watched the first couple of episodes of Death of an Expert Witness, the first PD James Adam Dalgliesh mini-series from the early 80s. Really good. Great British cast, Roy Marsden in the lead role of course, but also the likes of Geoffrey Palmer, Barry Foster, Brenda Blethyn... Classic stuff. :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby DMt. » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:15 am

The UK does do really good character-actors, innit?...must be the ancient [post-Shakesperian] theatre tradition.
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:05 am

Saw Doctor Who - The Robots of Death again last night. Been nearly five years since I've seen it and had almost forgotten how great it is (and how full-on!). The Doctor and Leela arrive on a sandminer looking for ore on a desert world, staffed by a skeleton crew of humans and lots and lots of robots. When the first murder happens, the Doctor and Leela are immediately prime suspects - but someone on board has begun reprogramming the servile robots to become deadly killers... Robots is an absolute classic from start to finish, with the regulars and guest cast (particularly Pamela Salem and the great Russell Hunter) delivering terrific performances. Robots starts off as a whodunnit before ramping up into a full-on battle for survival against the killer robots and their master, "a happy little maniac" (as the Doctor calls him) who was raised by robots and considers them superior to humans. It's all the little details in the scripts that build the characters and the world they live in that really help turn Robots into something special, along with the production, which is first class throughout. Classic stuff. :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:18 am

Watched a 1990 Neighbours last night, the one where Doug and Pam are freaking out because they're starting to suspect Cody has an eating disorder, when she's actually just turned vegetarian and doesn't quite know how to break it to them. It was funny. "Oh, wait till I tell Todd!" :lol:
She still makes me smile. :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:55 am

I'm rather disappointed that the TV version of Rush Hour has been canned after just one season. I thought it was a rather fun throwback to old school action shows with a sense of fun and tongue in cheek humour, with very likeable leads and miles better than the movies. Ho hum...
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:28 am

Robin of Sherwood: The Swords of Wayland (Parts 1 and 2). Robin and company leave Sherwood to help a small village being terrorised by masked men masquerading as demons... but that might not be too far from the truth after all. Arguably the most famous and iconic ROS story guest stars Rula Lenska as a respected Abbess who's actually the leader of a Satanist cult out to loose Lucifer on the world! Classic stuff. You'd never get away with this stuff before 9 0'clock nowadays! :lol:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:14 am

Started the 5th and final season of Person of Interest. Terrific so far, looks like its going out on top! :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:39 am

The Bill: Up in Smoke (Parts 1 and 2). PC Jim Carver's disastrous performance in court sees a rape case thrown out and questions finally starting to be asked in high places as his ever-increasing alcoholism begins seriously interfering with his work. But when a drunken Jim babbles information he shouldn't to someone he shouldn't, the result is an armed raid that sees another officer gunned down.... Gripping stuff as Jim starts well and truly circling the plughole...
Ian
Webmaster

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment