What Are You Currently Watching (on tv/dvd)?

Moderator: Ian

Re: What Are You Currently Watching (on tv/dvd)?

Postby Ian » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:35 am

Started Buffy season 6 last night, with the feature-length premiere, "The Bargaining". Fantastic stuff.
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:02 am

Doctor Who - Dalek/Planet of the Ood. Dalek is okay but overrated with a comically bad ending. Planet of the Ood is really good, though, a really strong SF thriler with a great turn from Tim McInnerny (Percy and Captain Darling in Blackadder) as the villain.
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Irishman » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:48 am

I started watching The Ricky Gervais Show on HBO lately. I really like his sense of humor.
Irishman
Faithfull Member

Postby Ian » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:00 am

Doctor Who - Revenge of the Cybermen. The first story I ever bought on VHS back in 1987, I haven't seen this for about 20 years due to a) not liking it, and b) the VHS giving up the ghost a long time ago. I thought I'd give it another go on DVD and, lo and behold, I actually quite enjoyed it. It's still a bit on the lame side, but it was fun in a "switch your brain off and don't expect too much" kind of way, and nowhere near as bad as I remembered it being.
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:09 am

Doctor Who - Bad Wolf. The 2 part finale to the 2005 season which exited Eccleston's Doctor. Great stuff. I'm particularly fond of the way Eccles slams one of the guards head first into a wall and just carries on without even breaking his stride. What a badass. :lol:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:22 am

Bad Wolf was a good one. Image

So good in fact, that there were ongoing references throughout Tennants time in the blue box. :roll: :P
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:24 am

Bought and started watching 24 season 7 over the weekend. Never seen this one before (despite watching season 8 on telly last year). Great stuff.

Had to lol at the female President asking Jack how she can be sure where his loyalties lie, and he replies (brilliantly), "With all due respect, Madam President... ask around." :lol: Yeah, methinks the guy should get some respect saving the world six years on the trot! :lol:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Rebecka Fan » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:57 am

I'd found an old VHS recording of Ghostwriter, so I thought I'd watch it. Good ol' times! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvpANx_WYPY <--I uploaded my favorite scene to youtube.
*Kyle*
I'm a Guy Directioner.
Rebecka Fan
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:21 am

24 still. It's so addictive, I'm marathonning like 4 or 5 eps a night! It's so wildly over the top (you've got to love a show that has African terrorists launching an attack on the White House itself to kill the President) but its utterly thrilling stuff. Pretty cool having Jon Voight as this season's main Big Bad.
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:38 am

Had a double bill of Who last night, of The Sontaran Experiment and The Hungry Earth 2 parter.

TSE is very enjoyable, a fun, atmospheric little Tom Baker quickie with a great villain in the sadistic Styre.

Shame I can't say the same for THE. I wanted to like it this time, I really did, but its awful. The script is dire - dull, stupid and a nonsensical rehash of about half a dozen classic Who stories, all of which were a million times better than this. It's then made worse by the prodction - namely, the new Silurians, who are so far removed from the old ones as to be utterly unlike them, and who look less like prehistoric lizards than a generic race of aliens beamed in from Star Trek circa the mid 90s. They're laughable, frankly.

Last season was mostly great, and I love Smithy and co, but this is a pure oven-ready turkey.
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Rebecka Fan » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:34 am

Vids from Siobhan's time on Idol and her post-idol interviews. Today she is 21. :) I have a cold, but I'd never miss Siobhan's birthday.
*Kyle*
I'm a Guy Directioner.
Rebecka Fan
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:20 am

It's been about 4 and a half years, so I decided to go back and start from the beginning of the Cody era (very late 89) of Neighbours again today. Great stuff! I was hesitant as it's often a bit weird when you go back and start again, but no problem after all. Of course, the presence of a certain someone helped. :oops: :)P Love the way she cons Todd into taking her to the school dance despite his determination to stay faithful to Melissa. :lol:

It's just so easy to watch.
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:56 am

Eerie Indiana: Reality Takes a Holiday. Completely bonkers episode in which Marshall finds he's an actor in a tv show called "Eerie Indiana", with the town just a movie set and his family and friends just actors. Then he finds his "character" is set to be written out of the show... in a very permanent way. Utterly insane, very funny and strangely sinister. Great fun.

Finished the whole lot now, enjoyed that. :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:46 am

Doctor Who - Space and Time. Comic Relief special just shown in the UK (on YouTube, of course).

Very funny. :lol:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:32 am

Doctor Who - Carnival of Monsters. The Doctor and Jo arrive on a cargo ship in the Indian Ocean in 1926... or do they? When the ship is attacked by a prehistoric monster, the crew behave as if stuck in a time loop and a giant hand materialises below decks and steals the TARDIS, the Doctor realises that not only are they not on Earth, they've become the latest "miniaturised specimens" in a form of galactic travelling "peepshow". This hugely imaginative and terrifically witty story is one of the most bizarre and atypical Pertwee adventures, but also one of the most immensely entertaining. Great fun.
Ian
Webmaster

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment