What Are You Currently Watching (on tv/dvd)?

Moderator: Ian

Re: What Are You Currently Watching (on tv/dvd)?

Postby Ian » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:03 am

It's like a crazy mix of comic book (being a Batman prequel), noir and epic OTT soap opera. :lol: I did like the homage (re: blatant steal) to Batman Returns in the one I saw today though, with Selina getting shoved out the glass window and her seemingly lifeless body then being surrounded by cats. Total lift, but nicely done! :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:59 am

Elementary: The Illustrious Client/The One Who Got Away. Things get very personal for Holmes and Watson when the body of a murdered woman provides evidence that the man who abducted and abused Holmes' protege Kitty in London two years ago has arrived in New York - possibly to finish the job. This gripping and chilling 2 parter may also be the most powerful and emotional Elementary to date.
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:48 am

Currently rewatching season 5 of Dexter. I had no idea - mainly cause I had no idea who he was the last time I watched this - that Jonny Lee Miller is the main villain of this season (a rich and famous "motivational speaker" who's also the leader of a pack of serial rapist-killers). Having become completely addicted to Elementary the last couple of years, and gotten so used to him as Holmes, it's so bizarre seeing him as this cold-blooded psychopath (complete with American accent)! :lol:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:05 am

Saw a bit of new sci-fi show The Orville on SBS the other night. Unfortunately I didn't know it was on so I missed the first bunch of episodes, but what I saw looked like really good fun, and it's already got a second season in the US, so I think I'm gonna buy the season 1 DVD that came out here this week. :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:46 am

If you're on "SBS On Demand" you might be able to catch up here.

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/program/the-orville
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:34 am

Too late, already bought the DVD. :D

I can only get that on my computer anyway, not my TV, and I hate watching shows on a small monitor. :wink:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:57 am

Miss Marple: The Body in the Library. Miss Marple is called in when some well-to-do friends wake up one morning to find the body of an unknown young blonde girl in their library. The very first Joan Hickson Marple from 1984, and still hugely enjoyable across 2 and a half hours. Looks gorgeous on Blu ray too. :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:42 am

Married With Children: You'd Better Watch Out. The first MWC Christmas episode sees the Bundy's festivities seriously marred when a Santa supposedly "flying in" to a nearby department store gets blown off course and ends up, er, splattered all over the Bundy's lawn. Seriously inappropriate Xmas lols! :lol:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:25 am

Ian wrote:...Seriously inappropriate Xmas lols! :lol:

One of many good MWC episodes. Image
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:19 am

My Xmas night viewing consisted primarily of the Xmas specials of Whodunnit and Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads. Both from 1974! :lol:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:51 am

The X Files: Blood. This chilling season 2 episode about ordinary people driven to madness and murder by subliminal messages in their electronic devices seems more chillingly plausible in today's world than it did back in the early 90s. Classic stuff.

KILL 'EM.

KILL 'EM ALL! 

:lol:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:24 am

I love subliminal messages.

Don't know why I said that. :? :T :lol:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:03 am

The Bill: Close Cooperation. Sun Hill is having to share cells with Barton Street due to the station being renovated but the 'friendly cooperation' turns less friendly when a Sun Hill prisoner gets beaten up by a Barton Street Sgt. Great, tense episode kicking off the "corrupt Sgt Coles" storyline and marking the first appearance of future regular Insp Cato (bizarrely named Twist here, despite it being obvious later on that they were clearly meant to be be the same character! :lol: ) I have to say, I'm really enjoying the 1990 season so far (not quite halfway through). It seems much stronger than 88 and 89. That's partly down to some character replacements (Uniform is much improved with the exits of Frazer and a couple of others and the arrival of the likes of Insp Monroe, and Quinnan and Garfield) but also just the show itself. There's a real strutting confidence to it now. :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:27 am

The Bill: A Fresh Start. The unveiling of the new-look refurbished Sun Hill Station is marred by the discovery of a child's body - the second in a month - and the realisation that a serial killer is stalking Sun Hill. This cracking episode starts out as a very funny comedy episode before taking a sharp left turn into far darker territory. As if all this wasn't enough, the episode also features the very first appearance of Simon Rouse as (then Detective Superintendant) Jack Meadows. Hilariously described as being "average" by Bob Cryer! :lol:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:24 am

Orson Welles Great Mysteries: A Very Strange Bed. In olde Paris, an inebriated young man flush with success in a seedy gambling establishment is offered a bed for the night by the proprietors to ensure his safety. But nothing is as it seems... This was a pretty good first episode for this early 70s British anthology series. Very Jonathan Creek. With a young Colin Baker, no less! :lol:
Ian
Webmaster

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment