What Are You Currently Watching (on tv/dvd)?

Moderator: Ian

Re: What Are You Currently Watching (on tv/dvd)?

Postby Ian » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:15 am

Pretty Little Liars season 5 finale. Framed and arrested as accomplices to murder, the girls are headed to the big house. Has "A"'s terror game reached its conclusion? Well, not quite. When the prison van is hijacked and the girls taken, the police finally - and I do mean, finally - start to catch on to the A game, but it may already be far, far too late. The girls awake to find themselves in a different kind of prison - an underground "doll house", where A Intends to keep them all as his/her "dolls"... forever.
Well, that's escalated. :shock: :wink:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:04 am

Rather enjoying the 2001 season of The Bill. It's a bit maligned by fans, mostly because the replacement CID characters after the wipeout caused by the Beech scandal in late 2000 aren't up to much, but it's BAFTA winning stuff compared to what came later. Okay I've skipped a couple of episodes (those dreadful ones with McAllister and her informant and dreary Riley with his brother) but it's still been thoroughly enjoyable for the most part. Quinnan's nervous breakdown is dramatic stuff and the last I watched was Long Shadows, a 2 parter where Meadows gets fired up when he thinks he's found evidence that Chandler is corrupt (he hasn't), which was great. Chandler was such a fantastic character, can't believe how the dreaded Marquess ruined him. Then again he ruined the entire show so why am I surprised?
Ian
Webmaster

Postby snaps » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:56 pm

I really do love this site and all the wonderful people I have met here. *:)* Not sure what the future holds. Seems to me you can carry on and contain SML/FA as a moment in history, not to be repeated, forever preserved in amber like a trapped insect. I don't have a problem with that. it is often cosy being 'in on a secret'

Alternative view is to use SML/FA as a springboard to reach out to the young people of today and make sure they understand what a milestone SML/FA was and that without it what they take for granted would OK be realistic maybe in terms of media depiction taken another 5 - 10 years to achieve.

I don't have the answer or a fixed view, but I think you should be aware of developments that are revolutionising social media so that the unfolding story takes place in 'real time' and discuss the implications on the Forum.

Check this out? : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i10jkIsHueA :D
snaps
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:02 am

For Christmas... I got the Power! :D

Anyway, I watched the Doctor Who Power of the Daleks animated DVD. Hmm. I wasn't too keen on it at first, to be honest, and the animation particularly suffers in the post-regeneration scenes where you really, really, really need to see Troughton for real. The animation just doesn't capture how weird and even sinister that he comes across even in the telesnaps. However it does get better later on and makes this a a pretty enjoyable story, though I still suspect the real thing would be better. :wink:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:08 am

Buffy season 1.

Which is 20 this year. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :T
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:55 am

Ian wrote:...Which is 20 this year. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :T

:shock:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:55 am

Tell me about it. :( :T *:|*
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:02 am

Francis Durbridge Presents. Got this out of the library and rather enjoying it. 60s BBC mystery thriller series. With the production style, 25 minute installments of multi-part stories and cliffhangers, it's all very 60s Who. :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:16 am

The Bill: Beech on the Run. This feature-length 2001 special filmed on location in Australia sees the now DI Claire Stanton heading down under in her pursuit of fugitive former DS Don Beech, who's now making a name for himself in the criminal underworld of Sydney. Easily one of the best of the season with the return of two fan favourites, this is a really enjoyable Bill mini-movie (even if the climax is a little bit OTT.). This special is also notable for its Aussie guest stars, which include not only Jason Clarke (John Connor in Terminator Genisys) as a federal officer but also John Noble (Walter Bishop from Fringe!) as a Police Commander! :lol:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby snaps » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:19 pm

https://www.facebook.com/sbsondemand/videos/1801111150126925/

If you're a big fan of Scandinavian crime thrillers or Nordic noir, or if you want to work through some dark revenge fantasies you've got, then you should check out In Order Of Disappearance" - Fiona, Managing Editor of Movies and TV
snaps
Crew Member

Postby fish » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:07 am

snaps wrote:...you should check out In Order Of Disappearance...

Big chance that'll be free to air on SBS later in the year.
Looking forward to it. *:)*
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:40 am

Finished the 2nd and final volume of Francis Durbridge Presents, the last two of which (starring Martin Jarvis as the same policeman character) were from 1979. Really enjoyed these, the only one I wasn't keen on was The Doll from 1975 which I found a bit dull (though did have the unexpected delight of William Russell with that truly extraordinary greying 70s hairdo!) but enjoyed the rest a lot. Think I might buy them both at some point.
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:17 am

Listening to the Big Finish Doctor Who audio The Reaping at the moment. Learning about the murder of a family friend - the father of her best friend - Peri forces the Doctor to take her back home to Baltimore, 1984. While Peri deals with "family stuff", the Doctor does a little digging and finds there's more to the murder than meets the eye. The Cybermen are in Baltimore - and whatever they're up to, Peri's loved ones are right in the middle of it.
This is pretty good so far. Col as great as ever, of course. :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby DMt. » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:56 pm

Finally got the S1&2 of Les Revenants, have been watching a disk at a time with Jan [who, happily enough, likes it too] *:)*

Up to the last disk now [already!] and am on tenterhooks, whatever they are, to see how they resolve it all.

Or don't... :shock:
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:02 am

The pilot of the late 70s/early 80s The Incredible Hulk. Dr David Banner (the great Bill Bixby) is conducting scientific research involving unnatural and seemingly impossible feats of strength on the part of ordinary people during times of crisis, research he's a little too personally invested in due to his failure to rescue his late wife from a horrific car wreck. When he stumbles onto a connection between the incidents and sun spots/gamma rays, he decides to subject himself to an experiment, but unbeknownst to him ends up blasting himself with a couple of million more rays than he intended. Nothing seems to have changed at first, but when he gets angry... This is an excellent feature-length first episode of this classic show, really smart, really well acted and really well directed. The first two times he transforms are actually still pretty scary! Great stuff that stands up really well. :D
Ian
Webmaster

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment