What Are You Currently Watching (on tv/dvd)?

Moderator: Ian

Re: What Are You Currently Watching (on tv/dvd)?

Postby Ian » Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:44 am

Heartily recommend All of Us Are Dead, 12 part Korean show on Netflix. Zombie apocalypse drama, predominantly set in a high school. Superbly made, action-packed, gory, and great characters you really come to love or utterly despise lol. Cute girls too. :wink:
High recommendation from me! :D *:)*
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:35 am

Ian wrote:...Cute girls too...

At last Ian gets to the important bit. :roll: :P :lol:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:09 pm

On-Jo is a heartbreaker. :wink:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Fri May 06, 2022 12:23 am

Dexter New Blood, episode 1. Good start, better than most revivals already. The new locale and supporting cast gives it a fresh feel and makes it feel like everyone hasn't been standing in place for nearly a decade, but Dexter is still Dexter and having Deb now becoming the ghost of his conscience instead of his dad both makes psychological sense and adds some reassuring familiarity to proceedings. Solid so far. :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Mon May 16, 2022 11:14 am

Episode 1 of series 1.
I think there may be 6 episodes.

I loved it.
I'll certainly be watching the rest.
https://www.imdb.com/video/vi3964257049/?ref_=ttvi_vi_imdb_4

Lots of the writing and production is by Steven Moffat.
And Rose Leslie's "Claire" is as beautiful as she was playing "Ygritte" in Game of Thrones.

There was a film a couple of years ago with Rachel McAdams and Eric Bana. I haven't seen that but I may track it down after this series is over.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:24 am

Started watching season 1 of Wicked Science again with the first episode. Believe it or not, it is over 2 years since I saw season 1!
Good opener, though a couple of odd things - one, in my reviews I've been pronouncing Dina completely wrong for some reason - it's spoken as Deena - and despite what I thought, Verity is in episode 1. Honestly I thought they added her in ep 2, to give Elizabeth someone to talk to and make it the 3-against-1 lineup look less dodgy, but no, she's there in the first episode, sitting next to her in class and walking with her when she tries to talk to Toby later only to get the death stare from Dina. But she doesn't so much as get a line, and I couldn't remember her from back in the day - it had been 14 years and all I could remember was Toby and Elizabeth, the general premise and bits of one episode (season 2's Fever), so it's perhaps not surprising she didn't register with me here.
Still, a solid and fun opener and Bridget is gorgeous in it, even if Elizabeth is rather terrifying. :mrgreen: I love that her idea of a practical joke is to switch a dodo egg for a T-rex one! :lol: :lol: (The mid 2000s TV CGI is woeful). To be fair, she clearly means it as a joke and a sort-of "we're both geniuses, isn't this going to be fun?!" message, as she actually gives Toby the heads-up as to what she's done, but f**k if that's her idea of a joke, I'd hate to see her when she's angry (we will. Frequently. Especially this season). :lol:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:39 am

Happiness was great. If you have Netflix, watch it. Great horror thriller with a virus turning people into a cross between modern zombies and vampires, with a bunch of people trapped in an apartment building - and some of the residents are as dangerous as the monsters. All this and even a rather touching little love story between the two very likeable leads. That's two Korean shows I've seen this year that are better than 99% of anything coming out of the US or UK lately...
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:17 am

The late 80s Jack the Ripper mini-series with Michael Caine. Classic stuff, and the Blu ray looks gorgeous.
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Santi » Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:16 pm

I've heard of this, I'll watch it.
Santi
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:25 am

:D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Santi » Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:20 am

Santi wrote:I've heard of this, I'll watch it.

Well, I didn't like it. They give a very different version of what it really was the real story. Although Michael, as always, does it super well.
Santi
Crew Member

Postby Santi » Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:26 am

A good Sherlock Holmes movie is this.
Santi
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:09 am

Wednesday. Middling on this so far. Feels a bit like a standard CW supernatural teen drama that someone had the bright idea of grafting The Addams Family onto to get it more attention than it would have otherwise. That being said, Jenna Ortega (the only "new" cast member of the godawful new Scream movie to make any impression on me at all) is spot on as Wednesday, a worthy successor to Christina Ricci, and is hot as f**k to boot. Her perky little blonde roommate is pretty damn cute too, and their burgeoning chalk and cheese friendship is a lot more fun and interesting than the 'plot' so far. I'm kind of hoping they'll get together at some point. Maybe in season 2? It is Netflix after all. :lol: :lol:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Santi » Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:08 pm

I'll check it out and see how it works ^O^
Santi
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:58 pm

Final few eps of the final season of Elementary. The final ep is a sweet summation of the series, but enjoyable as it is the real meat here is the penultimate eps as Holmes and Watson (and eventually the entire NYPD) face off with deranged billionaire tech mogul Odin Reichenbach (the brilliant James Frain), arguably the nastiest and most dangerous villain in the entire show. Cracking stuff. :D
Ian
Webmaster

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment