Pauline Acquart - Retenez Son Nom

Moderator: Ian

Re: Pauline Acquart - Retenez Son Nom

Postby Owen » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:52 pm

So, Volontaire. Seen it last Tuesday, but didn't have time to post here.

Acquart-side, there is not much to say, unfortunately. She has even less screentime than I feared: present in 3 scenes only, and she has like 4 or 5 lines all in all. After the first 15-20 minutes she's not seen anymore. First time we don't see but hear her as she responds to a greeting from Corentin Fila's character, it's the lone figure seated on the stairs in the academy hall that the first pictures revealed. The second time is the one she expresses jealousy during a lunch. I'd say she steals the scene but I may be biased :P . Anyway, she play grumpy well. The third time, Lambert Wilson's character asks her if there is a problem. She says no.
And that is all...
She is credited as "La jeune recrue boudeuse" though :lol: .

The movie itself I didn't like much :( . The biggest problems in my opinion are:
1) The characters are not sympathetic. The actors play well, so it's not their fault, but it's the way in which they are written. I didn't really understand Laure's motivations, and those of commandant Rivière are obscure too until the final scene (I think). The story is told in a detached manner. Laure has a boyfriend in the beginning, and their relation does not ring right; moreover they break almost wordlessly so I didn't really buy it.
2) The actions and the pacing. Not much happens. The movie is very monotone, but without style. The photography has nothing remarkable, nor has the music (it even gets sappy at times, poor choices imho). Laure's progression, as the movie is about it, is very linear and it feels that her determination never falters. But it is not shown in a significant manner, especially her hardest obstacles. At one moment she can't climb a wall, even with a run-up. But she keeps trying. Rivière challenges her to do it without a run-up. At the crucial moment, she does it without a run-up BUT the movie does not show her succeed in one take, rather first we see her jump, and then the angle changes and we see from the top of the wall as she climbs. It was wrong to do so, because it takes away the feeling of achievement, and I was left with the impression that it was a cheap trick because the actress didn't manage to do it right.

Miscellanea:
- There are some funny moments, particularly a running gag about Rivière's mandarin which he never eats.
- The movie, in a true French tradition :roll: , has nudity from Rouxel, not one but three times. Ok, she's beautiful, but it does not serve the story... at all.
- Laure is supposed to be an expert in Russian and English, and that is done right, I was satisfied with Russian pronunciation from her, and her interlocutor is obviously really Russian, so that is good.
- Last thing, at times, the film really felt as an advertisement for the Marine. I suppose it is so because the Army funded part of the movie.
Owen
Gold Member

Postby fish » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:50 am

Owen wrote:...the film really felt as an advertisement for the Marine. I suppose it is so because the Army funded part of the movie.

I guess that makes some sense from a funding point of view, but sadly it seems to have compromised the film.
Then again, it takes good writers to take an idea from storyline to script to character development and through to completed product.
Any shortcoming can be fatal.
Thanks for the review though Owen.
I'm probably masochistic enough to buy it if the chance presents itself, so that's self inflicted wounds on my part I guess. :lol:

© Serene Millicent

Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby fish » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:19 am

Erm!
Why wasn't I told? :shock:

https://fidmarseille.org/en/film/les-grands-squelettes/

© Serene Millicent

Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby fish » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:48 am

Haven't had a chance to do anything more about Les Grands Squelettes. (The Big Skeletons)
I got sidetracked. :oops:
And now I'm going out. *:)*

So here's the last of Serene's pics for now.
What a beautiful woman. *:)*

© Serene Millicent
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby DMt. » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:41 am

Sombre pix dem, even for L'Acquart 'Boudeuse' :lol: !!

Not that I'm not happy to see them...
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby fish » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:26 am

Not so sulky now. :lol:
Laure, Pauline and Maët. *:)* *:)* *:)*

David, are you getting the PM's yet or is there still something going wrong?
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby DMt. » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:49 am

#Not-smiling
#deRigeur

[PMs seem fine now, fishy...]

8)
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby fish » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:49 am

DMt. wrote:...fine now...

Eeexcellent.
In my best Monty Burns voice. :oops:

#Not-Not-smiling :D :lol:
At the beach with Bernard Tanguy - Aug 2016

Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Owen » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:33 pm

fish wrote:Les Grands Squelettes

Theoretically, Marseille is not far from where I live, so I could go there. But I don't know if I will be available, and to be frank the description sound pretentious and I am getting a little tired from this kind of movies. Moreover, the director, Philippe Ramos, did Jeanne captive also with Pauline, and aside from her participation I did not find much to like in the film :( .
However, maybe, and just maybe, I will be in Marseille next week (independently from this event) and give it a second thought. Pauline is billed sixth, so maybe she will get a real role, as opposed to the one she had in Volontaire. And Pauline does not do much movies, and then they get lost in endless festivals, so this is a big opportunity.

:T
Owen
Gold Member

Postby fish » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:43 am

Owen wrote:...and then they get lost in endless festivals...

It's such a shame that a promising career seems to have stalled like this.
I long for Pauline to be cast in a meaningful role again so that she can see a bright future in film instead of minor parts in lesser films and as you say, in endless festivals.

Here's an untreated screen capture from a Blanche Neige search.

"untreated screen capture"...
That was unexpected.
The capture was about twice that size and had all those other choices out to the right.
Either Imageshack or the Forum have decided to do it's own crop to fit the image on the page. :? :T :roll:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby fish » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:23 am

Oh, hello Facebook. :W
Nice of you to send me this little post.

For anyone who has yet to see "La Bande à Juliette", or who would like to see it again, there are links via these pages.
https://www.facebook.com/La-bande-%C3%A0-Juliette-867173973328105/?hc_ref=ARQkDaT7aEX3HUWfvA_tR43r0_PQLYlgt5KvKeFBPZ6DLUrrHEWGOEuhKT03QeyQ4Dg
https://www.facebook.com/Coqueluche/?hc_ref=ARQkDaT7aEX3HUWfvA_tR43r0_PQLYlgt5KvKeFBPZ6DLUrrHEWGOEuhKT03QeyQ4Dg
https://www.facebook.com/Brefcinema/
https://www.brefcinema.com/

Happy Bastille Day everyone. *:)*

Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby fish » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:44 am

I'd love to have the power of a devil.
Oh, wait a minute. :twisted: *:)* :lol:

Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby fish » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:25 am

"Lettre d'un Père à sa Fille"

I love this outfit. *:)*

Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby DMt. » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:35 am

Nice...

Give her a biplane and a pair of goggles, and she could pass as Wing-Commander Acquart !

:mrgreen:
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby fish » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:48 am

Wing-Commander Acquart on a stroll in the woods with a wee local girrrl. *:)* :lol:

Fish
fish
Crew Member

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment