Pauline Acquart - Retenez Son Nom

Moderator: Ian

Re: Pauline Acquart - Retenez Son Nom

Postby DMt. » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:47 pm

Hello Stefan!

You're just in time to see the thread hit half a million views, and at least a thousand [or so] of them must be by our dear, shy lurkers, rather than us few diehards here... :T

PAB is indeed an amazing actress, telepathically expressive and uniquely [even strangely?] beautiful, and it's always nice to see that acknowledged.

You have a great day, too.
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby DMt. » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:05 pm

fish wrote:"In the closet."
(comment translated from French, and not my comment)

I gather that many of today's young people are deeply suspicious of all gender/sexuality categories, and decline to identify as any of them.

Seems like a damn good idea to me!

People with agendas can bitch all they want, I'm not interested [and neither is l'Acquart Glorieuse, I'm sure].
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby fish » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:57 am

Welcome Stefan.
Nice to find another of Pau Pau's admirers.
How did you first become aware of her?
Have you seen any/many of her films/tv series/stage shows/ whatever?
I hope you find things on the Forum to stimulate your interest even further and please feel free to join in with any of the discussions you like.

fish wrote:..."In the closet."..

Context is a wonderful thing.
I originally planned to share the context of the "In the closet" pic a day after I posted it.
So.......
The comment is real, as I recall it was made by her friend Sarah.
The pic however is slightly cropped.
Pauline is actually sitting on a chair.
In the original you can see a number of coats, jackets, etc also on the chair as well as hung up on hooks.
It looks for all the world like Pauline is sitting in a clothes closet.
And I'm sure that was why the comment was made.

The comment should not be taken to infer anything else. *:|* :lol:

Yeah, I know. :( :P

On the left it's Nyima, then two guys I don't know, and on the right it's Nina. Christmas 2014.

Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Stefan » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:04 am

Hey guys,

oh thanks so much for the wonderful welcome... I am just off for a few day to Spain but deftly will be back here next week. :)

Your forum and the wonderful photos are amazing and a magnat to come back, he he.

Yes, i have seen 2 and a half movies of Pauline and she is a class of her own an would deserve much more attention... It's a pitty i did not recognize her more early, she would have been in Salzburg, Austria this year on a theater celebration even... not out of reach from Munich, the place i live.

Off to airport now, but wanted to let you know your welcome is highly appreciated :D

See ya soon next week!
"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." Marcel Proust
Stefan

Postby Ian » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:08 am

Welcome to the forum, Stefan. :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby DMt. » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:45 am

Stefan quite rightly wrote:...a class of her own...

It can't really be put any better than that.

It's the facts, Ma'am, just the facts...

*:)*
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby M83 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:18 pm

One thing I find funny, I'm a big fan of Pauline (although that's just going on her performance in Water Lilies) so don't take this in the wrong way please, but unlike say Fucking Amal when neither of the main actress went on to do anything of note after that film (that might be Controversial to say on this site). With Water Lilies, which end up giving us one of France's best actresses right now in Adele Haenel, who's go on to win French Caesar's and knock out a damn impressive C.V. You won't find a better actress under her 30's right now. But her thread runs 6 pages at most on here lol. While Pauline, who's ended up a working actress and hasn't really reached any massive heights. Her forum is on it's 269 page.

I'm just wondering do you think it's cause Pauline is more of mysterious character, that you probably get photo's and a film from Adele on more regular basis makes her less interesting for some. While finding stuff on Pauline is more exciting cause it's more rarer. I can understand the appeal of Pauline, she was really striking in Water Lilies but I'm really surprised that Adele's thread is so small especially at how great her career has grown.
M83
Gold Member

Postby fish » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:45 pm

M83 wrote:...I'm just wondering do you think it's cause Pauline is more of mysterious character, that you probably get photo's and a film from Adele on more regular basis makes her less interesting for some. While finding stuff on Pauline is more exciting cause it's more rarer. I can understand the appeal of Pauline, she was really striking in Water Lilies but I'm really surprised that Adele's thread is so small especially at how great her career has grown.

That's it precisely in my opinion.
I love Adèle.
She's very talented, she's beautiful, she's very much in demand, and it's so easy to find good things written about her.

On the other hand I have a feeling that Pauline can be more difficult to work with and that her career is less prominent as a result.
Nothing definite, just an impression after emails with people like Christophe Botti (Un Coeur Sauvage) and even Bernard Tanguy (Parenthèse)
This woman is intriguing, a challenge.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Owen » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:05 am

Welcome Stafan! *:)* It's good to see that Acquart continues to fascinate. What two and a half movies did you see with her?

fish wrote:I still haven't discussed The Classic Browser with my tech yet, but I guess I'll have reason to contact him again soon.

Could you tell me how it goes, if you do contact him about that? I'm interested.

"In the closet."
(comment translated from French, and not my comment)

Was it "Dans le placard?" or similar? Because after that comment I really didn't understand what you two were talking about :T :lol: .

M83 wrote:I'm just wondering do you think it's cause Pauline is more of mysterious character, that you probably get photo's and a film from Adele on more regular basis makes her less interesting for some. While finding stuff on Pauline is more exciting cause it's more rarer. I can understand the appeal of Pauline, she was really striking in Water Lilies but I'm really surprised that Adele's thread is so small especially at how great her career has grown.

For me, it was Water Lilies especially, and her sincere performance there, so I think that at first it was an attachment to the character more than to the actress. Or, to be more precise, I didn't dissociate the two. Later, it was because I was waiting for her to play a role on par with WL's Marie. Now, I haven't seen all her short films (Lettre d'un père à sa fille and La nuit tombe especially), but I think that hasn't happened yet. I'm not waiting for number 2 Marie (though it would be interesting to revisit the characters), but for a big profound role for her.
(I like Adèle Haenel too, and I've seen several movies with her, and will see more still.)
Owen
Gold Member

Postby M83 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:51 am

fish wrote:
M83 wrote:...I'm just wondering do you think it's cause Pauline is more of mysterious character, that you probably get photo's and a film from Adele on more regular basis makes her less interesting for some. While finding stuff on Pauline is more exciting cause it's more rarer. I can understand the appeal of Pauline, she was really striking in Water Lilies but I'm really surprised that Adele's thread is so small especially at how great her career has grown.

That's it precisely in my opinion.
I love Adèle.
She's very talented, she's beautiful, she's very much in demand, and it's so easy to find good things written about her.

On the other hand I have a feeling that Pauline can be more difficult to work with and that her career is less prominent as a result.
Nothing definite, just an impression after emails with people like Christophe Botti (Un Coeur Sauvage) and even Bernard Tanguy (Parenthèse)
This woman is intriguing, a challenge.

Been difficult to work with is the death knell for any acting talent, especially when you haven't the C.V to back up such behavior. With Adele, to have come out at such a early stage in her career (as much as some say it doesn't matter these days, look at Ellen Page and even Kristen Stewart to a point. Page career hasn't been the same since she came out. It definitely matters to the studios sadly) and still be able to get top roles and push herself to become better. She's known to be a little eccentric but no one has ever said a bad word about working with her. Plus her English is supposed to be great, so maybe taking a step out of France and given American indies a shot might be her next step. Her best films are The Devils, Love At First Sight, BPM, The Unknown Girl and House of Tolerance.

If you told me back then who'd I think be the bigger star, I would have said Pauline. She had a bit of the Scarlett Johansson about her, also her performance in Water Lillies hit me a bit like Rebecka Liljeberg did in FA. I said the same about Rebecka but to be fair to her she wasn't ever interested in becoming a actress full time. But it's never to late for Pauline, she's still 25 years old (Adele is 29) so she could turn it around.
M83
Gold Member

Postby DMt. » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:25 am

If the camera and/or crowd loves you, aaand you have the talent and taste and discipline, I suspect all else is pretty much irrelevant - including the PR machinery.

I've only-half-jokingly, myself, toyed with the idea that she's chosen a William Gibson-type, anti-advertising/'negative-PR' approach to her career; a Garbo-esque thing, even. Bob Dylan has never used a PR company, apparently...

I still haven't seen most of PAB's tiny output, but in both Lilies and Au 7eme Jour, age 15-17, she is already a mighty force; so powerfully magnetic in every shot - you can hardly take your eyes off her. You can't buy or fake that, it's soul stuff. Both of those DP's visibly knew exactly what they had the luck to work with, and so did Edgar H, I think.

Perhaps early acclaim has spoiled her, puffed her up; I have no idea [although Owen's description of meeting her gives no hint of that] or perhaps it's just made her determined to go to theatre school, learn the craft, qualify herself in acting as a profession, pay her theatre dues, and find a way to work in her chosen medium, rather than be devoured by it.

I think that's what anyone who cared for her would counsel; rather than, borne on the wings of fame, raw egotism and wild talent, to follow so many other early successes into the meat grinder of Hollywood [or Celebrity in general, come to that] and to an early grave.

PAB also doesn't even attempt to censor the many less-than-flattering images of her, I suspect it's rather a relief from having to be beautiful all the time.
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby fish » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:20 pm

Many wise words in the last few posts.
I'd love to have an insight into Pauline's career objectives, but such is not to be.
While she's personally an extrovert she is also very private when it comes to certain aspects of her life.
I try to respect that while not staying silent with my thoughts.
Quite tricky sometimes.

On other matters..
I'll send a PM to you David and Owen because I have some interesting stuff to share once I hear (or not) from the others.
I'll also ask M83 and Stefan if they'd agree to be included.
David, I haven't heard back from the member you mentioned to me a little while ago, so I haven't shared anything there.
Would you like to ask again and see if they'll PM me in the next couple of days?

Cheers. :W
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby M83 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:57 am

DMt. wrote:If the camera and/or crowd loves you, aaand you have the talent and taste and discipline, I suspect all else is pretty much irrelevant - including the PR machinery.

I've only-half-jokingly, myself, toyed with the idea that she's chosen a William Gibson-type, anti-advertising/'negative-PR' approach to her career; a Garbo-esque thing, even. Bob Dylan has never used a PR company, apparently...

I still haven't seen most of PAB's tiny output, but in both Lilies and Au 7eme Jour, age 15-17, she is already a mighty force; so powerfully magnetic in every shot - you can hardly take your eyes off her. You can't buy or fake that, it's soul stuff. Both of those DP's visibly knew exactly what they had the luck to work with, and so did Edgar H, I think.

Perhaps early acclaim has spoiled her, puffed her up; I have no idea [although Owen's description of meeting her gives no hint of that] or perhaps it's just made her determined to go to theatre school, learn the craft, qualify herself in acting as a profession, pay her theatre dues, and find a way to work in her chosen medium, rather than be devoured by it.

I think that's what anyone who cared for her would counsel; rather than, borne on the wings of fame, raw egotism and wild talent, to follow so many other early successes into the meat grinder of Hollywood [or Celebrity in general, come to that] and to an early grave.

PAB also doesn't even attempt to censor the many less-than-flattering images of her, I suspect it's rather a relief from having to be beautiful all the time.

Maybe she's just doesn't have the push like a Adele, not a fault of Pauline. The same thing was said of Adèle Exarchopoulos (Blue is The Warmest Color) that she didn't take her career serious and was posting stuff on Instagram that didn't make her look that great, less than flattering images and partying hard. She's a mother now, and her work has got better and she's more career focused now and she's the same age as Pauline.

She's still young and she could still come good on her early promise, maybe been famous isn't suited for her and having a career on the stage and doing the odd film is. She still has that performance in Water lillies that live forever. She has the looks and charisma to be a star, and the talent to act. But if the drive or ambition isn't there then it's not going to come for her. But working as a Stage actress and the odd role in Film isn't anything to sniff at.
M83
Gold Member

Postby DMt. » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:26 pm

M83 wrote:...working as a Stage actress and the odd role in Film isn't anything to sniff at.

Very well put indeed,M; and yes, it's worked well enough for the very talented Celine Salette [Les Revs, House of Tolerance, a ton of theatre]...I was very surprised to learn, sometime back, that the UK's most remunerative industry [apart from ahem 'defense', presumably] was not whisky, or cars, or music, or even highly-creative 'accounting', but...live theatre.

There's a story about Andy Toad-Webber, in Hollywo0o0od for a business meeting about the filming of one of his horrible cod-opera efforts, being so bored and rude that one of the execs there expostulated that they were talking about a forty-million-dollar movie, could he please try to take it seriously?

Toad [of Toad Hole] apparently drawled back, smugly, that he'd already made £120 million POUNDS from the touring, dear boy...
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby Stefan » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:11 pm

hey there,

wow, you all are really active, I think Pauline can be proud of you taking good care of this group here as it's important to be recognized when you're working as an artist...

First movie that impressed me was "Naissance des pieuvres" - maybe no wonder, as it's probably the international most well known movie with her.

French cinema has a few offside the mainstream really outstanding movies that convinced at Cannes, "Water Lilies" is besides "Blue is the warmest color" for sure one of them. However, i cannot really understand why Pauline wasn't honored with a price... for me, she convinced me with every scene... it was sooo like real life, that I was just out of words after the movie ended... and I didn't like the end too much, to be honest. However, that is in a line to other movies, Lea Pool (Lost and Delirious) once said:

“I’m more into Shakespeare’s tragic dramas and the Greek tragedies. Pauline is a great hero like Antigone or Jean d’Arc. She doesn’t reach her aim, but she is stronger than the others, because she fights for something she believes in. I’m way more impressed; if someone dies for her ideals than if she agrees to wrong compromises. Even though Victoria will go on after Pauline’s death, there will be the question if she ever will be happy again. I’m far away from a thought about a happy-end, and let’s be honest: In every Hollywood tearjerker we feel it as sob-stuff."

Pauline from L&D reminds me a lot of Marie... what a magical connection. ;)

The other one I have seen is "au septième jour" as its available on vimeo... But however, my french is not good enough to follow the language. Hard to say a lot about it.

Last not least her music video, where Pauline's acting was a lot more impressive to me as the singer, with all necessary respect...

Will try to catch up the remaining messages soon, happy to be part of such active fans here. :)
"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." Marcel Proust
Stefan

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment