Pauline Acquart - Retenez Son Nom

Moderator: Ian

Re: Pauline Acquart - Retenez Son Nom

Postby Owen » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:15 pm

The eyewitness is back! :lol:

So, it was... well... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :|
disappointing twice. The play, and Acquart (but less, 'cause she was really there 8) ).

The play I won't bash too harshly, because I found its choices of "mise en scène" interesting, and the story too. However, for a late play (10 pm the beginning), it is overlong and booooring. Especially towards the end, when I couldn't concentrate anymore on the meta-philosophical-whatever dialogues, and just wanted to close my eyes, because I didn't really care for what was happening (not much, as always in theatre, there is tons of pointless dialogue that leads nowhere :P it is a personal opinion, I don't like theatre very much). Fact is, this play is demanding, especially for a viewer like me, who doesn't go to see plays unless I am forced to (which doesn't happen): the dialogue is thick and "profound" and demands to think about it, there are many plot elements in the play, it is complex (and complicated), and on the top of all, it uses a minimalistic "mise en scène". There were two wooden abstract decorations, painted bright yellow, at the left and the right of the scene, and a wall in the far side of the scene, and in it there were turning panels to let enter the actors. That's all, no interruptions for change of decorations, only lights were showing the evolution of the action.

The play consisted of 4 actors only, who played several characters. The main actor (Thierry Raynaud - Andreas) is on the scene almost all the time, and the play is organised of encounters of him with different characters; he progressively realises why his life seems cursed. However I found him not always convincing in the role (I understand that it is difficult to play evenly 1h30 on the set). Nathalie Richard plays a woman he encounters and the mother of this woman, and she was excellent I think. It seems that she is a renown actress, but as I don't follow theatre actuality at all, I can't be sure and have an informed opinion. Pierre Baux was the best actor for me, very convincing; I liked that at one point he smokes on the set (well, more precisely he lightens a cigarette - twice). I don't enter into detail of the plot, pardon me, but I didn't understand all of it, it was heavy and the changing of roles for the actors was sometimes confusing. I don't say that I was out of the intrigue but I felt not much concerned. And the climax of the play was not really a climax, the main actor just shuts up and sits, wandering, or petrified, and Nathalie and Pierre tell the plot. But the performances were overall pretty good and surely conformed to the directions of Jonathon Châtel.

About, the organisation of the space: it was well orchestrated, very square, but I found it "polarised". I mean, the decorations were the center of the action, and they were on the opposite sides. To see what was going on was not always welcoming, especially for the people who were sitting on the sides (like me, but I chose the right one, and was right :) to see what I came for), because the action was on the sides more than in the center. But for the most part, I've seen well all that was to be seen.

Ow, I went lengthy, I'm sorry :lol:

Anyway, about Acquart. She plays two supporting roles, one of the daughter of an old friend of the main character, who (the girl) doesn't like him (the main character); and the other, of a nun in a charity hospital (or something like it). Her first role is thin, she says almost nothing and sits silent for the most of the important dialogue, staring and waiting her exit. I thought at first she would be the villain of the play but it didn't unfold like a standard tale (more like a metaphysic-philosophical-whatever reflexive play for the bourgeoisie of Avignon and tourists, who like "artistic" creations just because). She just disappeared for an hour :shock: :? :cry:
The second role was more developped and interesting. This nun helped the lost Stranger (that's the main character) and when he is finally saner than before, she gives him one of the keys to the plot (she reads a passage from Exodus, about curses). She was here longer, and on my side of the set, so I could see her profile more clearly. She was barefoot too, so that's a definitive plus :D
Her performance was more or less bland, not that I disliked it, but I was hoping to see 1. more of her, 2. feel like an emotional connection, because she was the one that I came for (and apparently the only one, or maybe one of the rare). I know that she played according to the directions given to her, but it lacked emotional impact, she was just there (and this applies for the rest of the play, because it is a more cerebral one than an emotional sparkful one).

This is sorrowful (well, maybe not at this point...), because at the very beginning, the actors were trying to hide their laughs and become more serious to fit with the tone (they achieved that). And these repressed laughs, I know, indicated the ambiance behind the scene, where I really wanted to be, at least as a passive spectator. The emotions, the truths of the actors were left hidden and I regret that. If I can appreciate theatre, it is more as a living representation, not figures and porte-parole of the director's "deep" thoughts. What I wanted to see of Acquart for example, is her as a human being, not as an expressionless actor (yes, it is the opposite of what I should expect), and I felt deprived of that. That's why I talk about her barefoot, because of one movement of her toes that I spotted, and that I remember vividly, and I know this was her as a human being. But it's not much.

At the end people applauded too long, I think, and the actors exited and reentered on the scene several times to bow (apparently a tradition). But then they left and I couldn't stay to see if they were going out to talk with people, because the person that accompanied me wanted to sleep badly (and the pace of the play helped that), and frankly I too, so we left. Therefore, no photos, sorry :(

The night after I dreamt that I met Pauline, and it was a hundred times better than the play (no innuendos :mrgreen: ). Unfortunately, when I woke up, I didn't write down this dream, as I casually do (I find it interesting), so I don't really remember what was going on. It was very peaceful and quiet, I recall. A resting, feel-good dream.

Anyway, that's the story.

Now, on the news side (I will be short).
The encounter with the crew of Andreas was today and I found a video of it. It is here: http://www.theatre-video.net/video/Dial ... -d-Avignon
It is VERY disappointing. Not only the actors are absent, because it is a resting day for them, but Châtel says not one word about any of them. He talks only about the story, the author, the themes and so on. The video is boring. The play didn't left me with a desire to learn more.

The reviews that I found are silent about the detail of performances. Not one talks even mentions Acquart. However I couldn't read the Figaro's review (if someone can, please copypaste here or send me by PM, I'll see if it is relevant to the subject of the thread). It is here (and asks subscription): http://www.lefigaro.fr/theatre/2015/07/ ... impose.php

The conclusion is: Pauline Acquart is a champion of discretion. And at the festival nobody cares for a supporting role.
Owen
Gold Member

Postby Santi » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:27 pm

It is the theater festival in Avignon ?
My parents took me when I was 10 to 12 years old
Santi
Crew Member

Postby Owen » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:45 am

Yes, the same one. But I went only to the play with Pauline (I don't really care for the festival).
Owen
Gold Member

Postby DMt. » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:10 am

Oh dear...poor Acquart, and poor Owen!

I suppose you have to do [or watch!] at least one turkey of a show in your life, eh? :roll:
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby fish » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:26 am

Owen wrote:...Anyway, that's the story...

Sadly it seems nowhere near as good as I had hoped. :(
(But at least you got to see Pauline wiggling her toes. :P :lol: )

Yeah, very late for a show in which she had such a minor role, and I see what you mean about Châtel hogging all the media.
He certainly is the only face of all the PR.
I haven't been able to see the Le Figaro article either. They want me to sign up for €9.90 a month. :shock:
Needless to say, I haven't seen it. :roll:
The only notable pic is the one I posted a day or so ago and which is used by Le Figaro.

I liked your review though, thanks for writing it.
And it's great that you got to see her live.
I'm still very envious of you for that. :P

Think I need to devote more time to looking for her films. 8)

Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby fish » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:43 am

DMt. wrote:...I suppose you have to do [or watch!] at least one turkey of a show in your life, eh? :roll:

We've probably all been there. :( :oops:

None of the sources I had in place have any other Avignon-Acquart pics either.
A real disappointment but I'll keep on checking until the Andreas run is over.
In 2016. :shock: Image :lol:

LaFAB: "Yeah. Sorry guys, but you know I didn't write it, and, it's a job." :roll:

Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby DMt. » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:51 am

Nonetheless, another 10,000 views flashes by in the FA Acquart thread! 8)
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby fish » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:40 am

DMt. wrote:...another 10,000 views flashes by...

What???
I must have blinked or something. :roll: *:)* 8)

Still nothing new from Avignon.
Where's the paparazzi when you need them? :shock: :T :P
Plenty of pics/vids of M. Châtel but he seems determined to keep his cast hidden away. *:|*

Pauline can't be happy about it. :(

Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby fish » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:47 am

Thanks for posting this Pauline.
Very nice. :D
(Also reminds me of that dream about sniffing your hair. :shock: :oops: :P :lol: )

Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby fish » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:16 am

Much as I respect Owen's views, Andreas has received all positive reviews in Avignon.
Maybe, like me, he was looking forward to a huge "Acquart fest" when the reality was that hers was just a supporting role. :(
Strindberg wrote "Le Chemin de Damas" when he was suffering from a severe mental illness in the latter stages of his life and his perception of the world was somewhat tainted.
However he was a genius and reputedly (I haven't read it) it's right up there with his trilogy on "Miss Julie". :Z

Before everyone falls asleep, here's a vid of part of they play.
Pauline's non-speaking part sadly, but a vid nonetheless. http://www.theatre-video.net/video/Andreas-extraits-69e-Festival-d-Avignon?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Andreas finished in Avignon last night but the play will still be on for the next six months or so at various festivals and such around France.
Hopefully Châtel will loose the reins a bit in future and his Andreas cast will have a more public profile. *:)*

Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Owen » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:02 pm

My review wasn't that negative. I liked some things, but for the most part was bored with the fragmented story. It is an uneasy play, and one should come prepared. I maybe should have watched the presentation videos by Châtel. I also lack the habit of watching theatre (because I don't like it, too chatty).

For Acquart, you are right, I was disappointed that her roles aren't more significant. The first one even (the one seen in the video, where she's sitting there doing nothing) seems useless to me.
For the Strindberg's play, I don't doubt that there are profound and interesting themes in it.

I saw that 26 and 27 february 2016 Andreas will be played in Aix-en-Provence. I could watch it again, but it's too soon to tell.

Now that I think of it I could have taken a picture during the applause, nobody was caring I think. It wouldn't be much, but it would be mine.
Owen
Gold Member

Postby DMt. » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:02 pm

I think I like Acquart in white... 8)
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby fish » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:32 am

Owen wrote:...It is an uneasy play, and one should come prepared...

I think you did well in just getting there. 8)
Your review was an accurate reflection of your opinion of the play and that's all anyone can ask.
What you wanted, what we all wanted, was much more Acquart.
Sadly Andreas didn't deliver and I'm sure I would have written a similar review.

Owen wrote:...but it would be mine.

"Ours".
I'm sure you meant to say you'd post it here and it would be "ours". :P :lol:

Ron Obvious wrote:I think I like Acquart in white... 8)

I think you're not the only one.
I'm still very envious of Owen. :mrgreen: :lol:

I wonder if Pauline ever contemplated leaping to her feet and grabbing the guy's flower. :evil: :P :lol:

Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Owen » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:04 am

"Ours".
I'm sure you meant to say you'd post it here and it would be "ours". :P :lol:

That's what I meant :lol: I wouldn't dare keep it to myself.

By the way, how did you retrieve the video? I tried a Chrome extension but it didn't work.
Owen
Gold Member

Postby fish » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:32 am

Owen wrote:That's what I meant ...

Obviously. :roll: :P :lol:
That was quick Owen. It must be pretty early in France. :D :W

I don't use Chrome, I use Firefox.

On one of his all too often visits, I explained to my computer tech the problems I was having downloading vids.
He went away and came back with this..... https://videodownloaderultimate.com/en/?cid=6&v=ffall
...which was free and seems to w*rk very well with Firefox.
So far. :roll:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment