MONSTER tore me up so bad

Moderator: Ian

MONSTER tore me up so bad

Postby DMt. » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:00 am

This isn't 'entertainment' at all, though it is very serious art. I saw part of Nick wossname's documentary about Aileen Wuornos years ago, when I still watched TV sometimes; and I remember being scared by her and sorry for her at the same time, and that it was disgusting that she was executed, despite the murders she committed, when she was so obviously quite crazy from an unimaginably brutalised and horrible life. Then I forgot about it, like you do; until now.

The film was well reviewed, all kinds of plaudits, and I picked it up cheap [ouch], thinking I might check it out sometime. So I watched it this evening. A toweringly brave performance and [from what I remember] a scarily accurate likeness of AW by Charlize Theron, and Christina Ricci was excellent too, as usual, but it will be a very long time [if ever] before I watch it again, because it was quite the most harrowing thing I've ever seen. I don't think the full Moon helped, either.

I won't go into the story, in case you ever watch it [or maybe you already have], but if you haven't, and you do, brace yourself. When it was over I was crying bitterly, and said a prayer for Aileen Wuornos' soul; and I hope to God that she is at peace now, and her victims too, scumbags and decent[ish] johns alike. The one thing I will say is that I'm glad she knew love, real love, at least once in her dreadful life, even if it helped to destroy her.

If I ever start to feel sorry for myself again, for my so-called hard life, I'll remember her, and count my blessings

[The reason the DVD was cheap, it turns out, was that it's a Region 1, and I used up one of my laptop's DVD player region lives to watch it; but it was worth it...I think.]
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
DMt.
Crew Member

Re: MONSTER tore me up so bad

Postby fish » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:28 am

DMt. wrote:...it will be a very long time [if ever] before I watch it again...

"Enjoyed" is not quite the right word for Monster is it? Hell of a good film.
I too have seen it once, and there's a doubt that I'll ever watch it again for the same reason.

I have similar feelings about the most horrific film I've ever seen, "Christiane F".
Great film, I even own the DVD, and I keep thinking I should watch it again.
It's just so scary.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby DMt. » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:34 am

Both [based on] true stories, both real horror.

Remind me never, ever to watch it.
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:37 pm

DMt. wrote:

[The reason the DVD was cheap, it turns out, was that it's a Region 1, and I used up one of my laptop's DVD player region lives to watch it; but it was worth it...I think.]

You could have have ripped the dvd using dvd-decrypter and burnt a new copy on dvd-r

On the new dvd-r disc the film then becomes "region free" and you can watch it on any dvd-player

Dvd-decrypter is a free program that you can download from the net
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:39 pm

I've seen Monster as well and I think it was a good film

Great performance from Charlize Theron
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby DMt. » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:17 pm

Agnes&Elin Forever! wrote:Great performance from Charlize Theron

Yes, really. So brave, especially for a Hollywood actress, to play such a downbeat role! This is the fourth film in a row I've watched that deals sympathetically with same-sex love; LTROI, FA/SML, Water Lilies/NdP, and now Monster. Life seems determined to challenge my deeply-ingrained homophobia; and maybe it's easier for me to acknowledge the love as love when the protagonists are female, or kids, or both.

Of the four, Monster is by far the darkest, I think, with LTROI not far behind.
DMt.
Crew Member

Return to Entertainment