Feel bad films?

Moderator: Ian

Feel bad films?

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:56 pm

"Feel bad films" as opposed to "feel good films" ?

Monster and Christiane F have been mentioned elsewhere on the forum

Do you have any other examples?

I think the television-movie Threads (from 1984) about a nuclear holocoust in Europe is really upsetting

You can watch it on Youtube or download it as a torrent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQo0BQM3OlQ
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Re: Feel bad films?

Postby DMt. » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:11 pm

Dancer in the Dark...?
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby katka » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:56 pm

ahhhh Dancer...is very heavy, emotional and sad movie. The saddest what I've seen... :cry:
katka
Crew Member

Postby DMt. » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:01 am

Yes, and I am currently avoiding von Trier's "Antichrist" like the plague.

Clouzot's "Wages of Fear" is pretty bleak...[the one with the two trucks and the cargo of aging nitro] - that and the 'portmanteau film' or loop of horror stories called "Dead of Night", which scared the bejeesus outa me as a kid.

Both black&white, btw.
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby DMt. » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:22 am

Lars von Trier's 'Melancholia' is looking more and more like something I want to watch [though I still don't have the stomach for 'Antichrist'] - the opening sequence looks absolutely gorgeous, and resonates very strongly with my own current minor obsession with slow-motion.

For 'Melancholia', read 'Nibiru'...? :shock: :shock: :shock: Perhaps this is the ultimate Feel Bad Movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KER_IcHQYcA

Also, I really like Charlotte Gainsbourg; she is something else, like l'Acquart, a one-off; and I'm now prepared to believe that Kirsten Dunst has much more to offer than I might have thought, too. Some folks are saying it's her greatest work yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=za6OTPNUBbE

Gainsbourg; "I think, for me, the real disaster in the film is fear; but I think it's because I relate to that, having played that character...ummm...yeah, fear, apprehension...uhhh...the fear of losing everything..."

She is so fucking cool, that woman.
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby fish » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:59 am

DMt. wrote:...and resonates very strongly with my own current minor obsession with slow-motion...

It took me a while to w*rk out that it wasn't just a still pic. :roll: :oops: :lol:
I hope the rest of the film moves a little more, otherwise I'd :Z

Charlotte is one of those lucky people who gets more attractive with age. And she can act. *:)*
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Dahls » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:10 pm

Just got around to se Christiane F this afternoon, after seeing it mentioned here.
Man, this was hard to watch! :shock:
To watch such a sweet girl go all the steps to become a heroin addict... I needed to pause for a minut a couple of times :oops:
She reminded me a bit of my cousin from when we were growing up, both in looks and personality (before the addiction anyway), which made it even more difficult. Also, she reminded me a little of Agnes.

Overall I thought it was a great film, an honest and realistic depiction of the horrors that often follows drug abuse.

I also liked the involvment of David Bowie, both since it really fitted the movie, and he was one of my biggest idols in my teenage years *:)*
Dahls
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:18 pm

Dahls wrote:Just got around to se Christiane F this afternoon, after seeing it mentioned here.

It must be a year or more since I last watched it. Not one I would want to own. A superb film though. I really liked that the boy tried so hard to make sure she didn't end up like him. But inevitably they both end up whoring themselves out, and have nothing left not a shred of self=respect between them. I agree the David Bowie involvement gave it the gritty edge and brought the realism home. We have to remind ourselves this isn't some art-school final year project.

Christiane F is a real person. I hope she has found some peace now. :Y
snaps
Crew Member

Postby Cheevers4ever » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:35 am

Breaking the waves, The Idiots and Dancer in the Dark By Lars von tier are feel bad times at their best.

Festen a danish film from 1997 is another feel bad film
Cheevers4ever
Gold Member

Postby DMt. » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:16 pm

Melancholia definitely belongs here. Seldom, if ever, has EotW looked so good. Burning takes by la Dunst and la Gainsbourg both, and the superslomo part of the intro is awesome [though Fishy thought it boring].
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby Dahls » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:14 am

Maybe with a second viewing he can enjoy it as much as you (and me). :P

I thought the strongest scene was towards the end, when Kirsten was sarcastically repeating, in a very patronizing way, Charlotte*s wishes about how to spend the final day, with Charlotte in tears. Must admit I shared those tears. :oops:
Superb acting!
Dahls
Crew Member

Postby fish » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:46 am

Dahls wrote:Maybe with a second viewing he can enjoy it as much as you (and me). :P

It isn't that I found it boring, on the contrary, it's just that I must have been a little tired (and emotional) when I watched it and found it difficult to keep my eyes open. :Z

My story.
Sticking to it. :T :P :lol:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby DMt. » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:27 am

Whoops, bit of a Fishy misrep there, it would seem. <Retracts spurious 'boring' attribution...> 8)

I'm still a little 'tired and emotional' this morning, I think...good job I don't drive anymore... :Z :cry:

Time for coffee. :Y
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby Juule » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:35 pm

I guess this belongs here.

Funny Games (1997).

Quite disturbing. That's all I can say.

There's also a remake (2007) from the same director. Haven't seen that and probably never will.

Still, I'd like to see the original again.
Juule
Crew Member

Postby Cheevers4ever » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:48 am

Juule wrote:I guess this belongs here.

Funny Games (1997).

Quite disturbing. That's all I can say.

There's also a remake (2007) from the same director. Haven't seen that and probably never will.

Still, I'd like to see the original again.

Funny Games is pretty bleak but i love it for some reason. I think the acting from the two main guy is brillant.

The Road with Viggo Mortensen is pretty tough watch

Cracks with Eve Green is pretty bleak. Set in an all girl school. The ending is pretty damn bleak
Cheevers4ever
Gold Member

Return to Entertainment