Adèle Haenel

Moderator: Ian

Re: Adèle Haenel

Postby Owen » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:08 pm

I'm not very familiar with Polanski's case, however it is known that he has good connections which enabled him to continue having a high profile carreer. That's what I meant when I said "political". There award ceremonies are usually congratulating people within closed circles etc.
I agree, Polanski's should not have been selected, and he should not have been so well financed for so many years.

About Haenel. Her reaction is not wrong, of course. However, I suspect that this was planned and not spontaneous, because this way her gesture would have greater impact. I think that the most right thing to do would be for her to publicly condemn such a ceremony that has a convicted pedophile in it, and to boycott it (and Sciamma should have too). That is what I was talking about, calculations about impact (possibly from her side, and maybe from the side of the jury, who should have shown more awareness of the situation). I also disagreed with the weepy tone of the article reporting the incident, and bold and highly biaised claims in it.

About "survivor", I still disagree, because for me murderers are not the same as abusers, I mean not the same category of premeditation. If the victim dies in the hands of an abuser, it is an unintended consequence, mostly. (I feel that I should add more nuance to this, but it would make the post too long.)
But I say this not as a way to defend them. I am only against this exaggerated way of calling things and mixing them.
Owen
Gold Member

Re: Adèle Haenel

Postby fish » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:24 am

Owen wrote:...planned and not spontaneous...

I hadn't thought of that.
Portrait had been nominated for several awards so I guess that would be reason enough for them to attend.
Polanski had also been nominated but had made a very public point of letting everyone know in advance that he would not be attending.

As far as the "Polanski Case" is concerned, he was arrested in Los Angeles in March 1977 on 5 charges of rape by use of drugs against a 13 year old girl.
Plea bargaining resulted in lesser charges being laid.
He was found guilty but the US "justice" system being what it was, he was out on bail pending sentencing.
While out on bail he fled the US and has been living in Europe ever since.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Previous

Return to Entertainment