Adèle Haenel

Moderator: Ian

Re: Adèle Haenel

Postby Owen » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:02 am

snaps wrote:The Unknown Girl

I've seen it in october, in the theater. Really good low-key drama, with elements of detective story. Not joyful though, not at all, it's very gloomy, with lots of grey atmosphere, grey buildings, grey water, grey everything, even performances. And I'm saying that as a compliment, because it seems to have taken much hard work to get it to this state. Besides, as a morality statement, this movie appeals to me.
Adèle is very good in her role, and I like how the direction treats her. Total opposite of what she played in Water Lilies for instance.

Now that I think of it, the greyness of everything reminds me of Per Wahlöö's two novellas about commissionner Jensen.
Owen
Gold Member

Postby snaps » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:10 am

THE UNKNOWN GIRL

I agree with what Owen and others have said. Bought the DVD slashed in price at HMV. It IS very low key - and very much in the Francophone tradition of film-making. The 'Sight & Sound' review did say 'Adele Haenal is mesmerising'. This is very true. Downside is that there is not one other strong character for her to play against - just a host of minor characters and conflict with every one of them. It is engaging as a medical 'whodunnit' and Adele is centre-stage (enough reason to watch it anyway :) ) A young doctor who makes an understandable error of judgment, and then atones by turning detective over a death of an anonymous immigrant that everyone else is more than happy to forget about. It is a tour-de-force for Adele as she is playing almost the total flipside of her amoral manipulative role in Naissance des Pieuvres. It would have been good if she had a strong female companion to play against - a sort of 'flipside' Marie if you can imagine such a thing. Anyway - one worth seeing as Adele matures as an actor. The relentless concrete drabness and thundering traffic noise of Liege in Belgium provides the perfect backdrop for Adele to shine through like a flower growing in a crack in the pavement - physically, intellectually and morally beautiful in an asshole anonymous corner of 'modern' Europe.
'Jag jagar drömmen som blev sann.' Image
snaps
Crew Member

Postby fish » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:02 am

So much out in the public eye with her career, and so many good substantial roles too. *:)*

I must confess I quite fancy "Orpheline", but maybe that's just the thought of the two Adèles being together. :oops: :P :lol:

Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:07 am

OK, today we are rehearsing the shower snogging scene but unfortunately (coughs) Francois can't make it today (sighs) O-) So I guess I'll just have to stand in for him while you practice :) *:)* :evil:
'Jag jagar drömmen som blev sann.' Image
snaps
Crew Member

Postby fish » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:31 am

snaps wrote:...unfortunately (coughs) Francois can't make it today (sighs)...

Oh dear, what a shame, how sad. :roll: *:)*

So who swept the cutting room floor the morning after?
That's all I want to know.
Oh, and are they into corruption? *:)* :lol:

Fish
fish
Crew Member

Previous

Return to Entertainment