Tomboy (Céline Sciamma, 2011)

Moderator: Ian

Tomboy (Céline Sciamma, 2011)

Postby Santi » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:20 am

Tomboy is a 2011 French drama film written and directed by Céline Sciamma, her second film.
The story follows a 10-year-old child (given the name Laure by his parents) who, after moving with his family to a new neighborhood introduces himself to his new friends as boy.

The film is impressive. Talk of the prohibitions we have all. things a boy must make of boys and a girl child must make things of girl and can not be changed. Movie Talk about to the our little freedom. talk about feelings, desires.
Jeanne Dison is seems to pauline Aquart :oops:
Last edited by Santi on Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:52 am, edited 4 times in total.
Santi
Crew Member

Re: Tomboy (2011)

Postby Santi » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:25 am

I've copied this comments of one user of Filmaffinty (with her permission), because is the same that I think:
Laure is a ten year old girl who moves with her parents and younger to live in a new neighborhood on the outskirts of Paris sister. He makes new friends there, and benefit from its appearance to impersonate kid. A girl group falls for her, convinced she's a boy.

I was very impressed by the work of all children. They work so well that often looks like you're attending a documentary. especially the younger sister. I think there is a job of great actors address.

The film is entirely credible. You may be interested about, but I think from the beginning to the end .. In addition, the absence of music, the silence, the close-ups of gestures and looks contribute to the feeling that it is not a movie but you're looking at happens in the house of Laure.

The treatment makes the transsexual child is exceptional, with an elegance and beauty difficult to achieve. The film prevents and treats disease situation with a clean and naturally that is not unusual in the movies. Normally dramatic effects, the curiosity, the controversy is sought. This is quite the opposite. From the first moment it is known that she is a girl who pretends to be somebody, no dramatic effects, the film exudes subtlety, tenderness, touch, delicacy .... normal. And normal is often at odds with the film. Or at least, it is difficult to combine it. Here is an example of how to make films about controversial issues naturally and without cheating.

The movie I liked. It is not just the subject of transsexuality, is that I think addresses well the childhood. Whatever child can see reflected in these scenes playing scarf, football, truth or dare, those fights in the water, those childish cruelty, the snitch, these ongoing routines of childhood are not alien to us and why we feel that the film has a great deal of credibility. And with that I return to the beginning: child actors are excellent. Without doing so well, none of this would be possible.

Because in this case it is treated with such delicacy and respect, no position in any way, we do not see the child or the child, but to the person. And that, as regards the issue in question, do not get any.

But this film is special. A must see.
Last edited by Santi on Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
Santi
Crew Member

Postby Santi » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:28 am

ONLY READ IF YOU HAVE SEEN THE FILM
When Laure speaks for the first time with the girl (Lisa), she asks his name and that answer "Michael", and it shows that he just happened. Which she has realized that she has taken by boy, and follows the game, because in addition likes to see that it is a boy. But all this is clear from what you see in the movie, in seconds, the eyes say it all, smiles, gestures.

It's funny how, from the beginning to take per child, she strives to become a boy. Not enough to dress like a boy and a haircut, no. Being a kid is something else. Is playing football, spitting, talking like guys, fight ... and all that stuff gets Laure learn and learning to be Michael. No I will smile every time I think of when they will go to bathe in the river and a piece of dough gets into the suit to look like a boy. The film is full of bright moments.

And Michael is no longer Michael and Laure returns to be when he gets home. Then it is sweet and tender, with her sister, with her parents. Lavishing hugs, caresses. Emotions cross the screen.

Then there's the story with Lisa, who falls for him / her. Because one thing is to dress and behave like a boy and another thing to be homosexual. Laure is what we call a "tomboy", but it remains unclear who is lesbian, although it seems so. But ... to see Lisa falls in love with him or her? That is not clear and is worthy of a good postpeliculero debate. I vote yes because Lisa is a lesbian, but I say it is not clear, each draw conclusions.
Comments copied of user of fiilmaffinity, Keizz (Madrid-Spain).

Santi
Crew Member

Postby Santi » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:22 am

In this web there're some links:
http://www.divxclasico.com/foro/viewtop ... 02#p910402
(collonut is my user's name) :wink:
Santi
Crew Member

Re: Tomboy (Céline Sciamma, 2011)

Postby Santi » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:50 pm

She plays with her eyes very much like Agnes, reminds me in Bex.

When she makes her first kiss

In the last scene
"Je m'appelle Laure"
Last edited by Santi on Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Santi
Crew Member

Postby fish » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:57 am

Santi wrote:..."Je m'apele Laure"

I loved that hesitation to see Lisa's reaction, and then that first hint of a smile to come.
Very cute.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Santi » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:36 am

is a Total change all the movie, right?
Santi
Crew Member

Postby Santi » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:57 am

I can not avoid it. :T
I've found the football field and the apartments with tree. :lol:

.... soon....I will put photos in googlemaps... :wink:
Santi
Crew Member

Postby Santi » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:29 am

Do you know where I can find the complete script of the movie?
Santi
Crew Member

Postby DMt. » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:40 am

No, sorry; but the subtitles are available - Open Office will read them, and VLC will play them with the movie -

Tomboy_English_and_French.zip
(29.14 KiB) Downloaded 755 times

Apparently Tomboy was filmed on a Canon D70 - with special lenses, but still... :shock:
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby Santi » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:13 pm

Thank you! _O_

I am very angry , very angry. :-x
It seemed missing dialogues in the film . And now I have seen with your subtitles that I was right. I've seen the movie several times incomplete. :T
Santi
Crew Member

Postby Santi » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:39 am

Santi wrote:I can not avoid it. :T
I've found the football field and the apartments with tree. :lol:

.... soon....I will put photos in googlemaps... :wink:

are in google-maps *:)*

Santi
Crew Member

Postby Santi » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:40 am

is in googlemaps so
Santi
Crew Member

Postby fish » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:23 am

Nice finds. *:)*

Pity Gurgle didn't take the pics while they were still filming though. :roll: :P :lol:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Santi » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:22 pm

You've caught me :lol:
Santi
Crew Member

Next

Return to Entertainment