Last Film You Watched

Moderator: Ian

Re: Last Film You Watched

Postby Ian » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:11 am

Saw Beauty and the Beast at the cinema today. I was a bit on the skeptical side, as it's not really my usual cup of tea and in all honesty I probably wouldn't have bothered but for who the lead actress is... ;) :mrgreen: :oops: but I actually generally really enjoyed it. One or two of the songs had my rolling my eyes and went on a bit too long but for the most part it was really, really fun, bouyed by the glorious, gorgeous, effortlessly charismatic Emma Watson in the lead role (certainly the best thing she's done since Perks, hopefully The Circle will be great too). Had a really good time with this. :) *:)*
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:31 am

Life. Gravity meets Alien in this sci-fi horror flick starring Ryan Reynolds, Rebecca Ferguson and Jake Gyllenhaal. A team on the International Space Station are studying samples from Mars when they find a living organism among them - a microscopic single-cell life form that confirms the existence of life elsewhere in the universe. Of course, being that sort of movie, it doesn't stay microscopic for long... This is a terrific, intense, exciting and scary SF chiller that I really enjoyed. Goodness me, I can't remember the last time I went to the cinema twice in one week - and really enjoyed them both!
This is going to ruin my reputation as a grumpy old fart. :mrgreen: :P
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:07 am

No. I think your reputation is safe. :P :lol:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:06 am

(relief)
:mrgreen:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:04 am

I watched this little film last night. I don't know if you've heard of it. Show Me Love, it's called, though I hear it's called something different in its native Sweden. Something a bit rude, apparently. :shock:
I heartily recommend it, it's sweet, funny, touching, agonisingly believable and often very funny. Go watch it if you haven't already. :D

In all seriousness, :roll: :T it's been quite a long time since I've actually watched FA, and was delighted to find it as wonderful as ever, and it continues to retain its place in my top 10 favourite films of all time. Just lovely. *:)* *:)* :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:28 am

Ian wrote:...I don't know if you've heard of it...

Not sure.
Is it new?
Maybe I should check it out. :roll: *:)* :lol:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:57 am

The Burning. It's the early 80s, there's a summer camp and lots of teenagers. It's either a sex comedy or a slasher flick. Well, look at the title. ;) Yes, there's a maniac on the loose hunting teenagers and some surprisingly big names in the cast in what must be their first appearance for most of them, including a young Holly Hunter (who has like one line), Fisher Stevens and Seinfeld's Jason Alexander. Yes, George is most definitely getting upset! :P Passable if unremarkable early 80s horror, mostly of interest for the cast.
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:12 am

Hush. A deaf woman living in the country becomes the target of a sadistic killer in this gripping 2016 horror thriller from writer-director Mike Flanagan (Oculus, Ouija: Origin of Evil). This movie is a lean, mean exercise in nerve-wracking suspense and tension from my favourite modern horror director and genuinely had me on the edge of my seat. Cracking stuff! :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:01 am

Saw Guardians of the Galaxy 2 at the cinema today. Pretty good; probably not quite as good as the first but still pretty solid for the most part, and still the only series within these endless comic book movies I find particularly appealing. Kurt Russell was great, and I was happy to see Karen Gillan getting a bigger role too (and even some quasi-redemption for her character as well). Entertaining.  :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:06 pm

Damien Omen II. Seven years after the original Omen and Damien, now living with his uncle and aunt and cousin, is about to turn 13 - and about to learn his true identity and destiny, even as dark forces conspire to remove anyone who threatens that destiny coming to fruition. This 1978 horror sequel to the original Omen has always been a favourite of mine, I used to watch this endlessly as a kid - that explains a lot, doesn't it? ;) - though I hadn't seen it for more than 20 years, so I was pleased to find it still stands up well with a great cast including William Holden, Lee Grant and Lance Henriksen, though its best asset is undoubtedly Jonathan Scott-Taylor, who is perfectly cast as the creepy Damien. Really enjoyed it! :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Tue May 23, 2017 10:09 am

Went to the cinema yesterday to see John Wick 2. The first one was a pretty solid action flick, and this got good reviews, so I was expecting this to just as good but I'm afraid I was rather disappointed by it. The action is well staged, if a bit too well staged at times (as in, very obviously choreographed) but the plot and characterisation are even thinner than the first one. I just found myself not particularly giving a crap about any of it in the end. Ho hum. *:|*
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Thu May 25, 2017 11:32 am

The Man Who Knew Too Little. Bill Murray is a clueless American who decides to go to the UK for his birthday to visit his brother, who is hosting an important dinner party and elects to get him out of the way for the evening by sending him on an "interactive theatre experience" on the streets of London. Unfortunately Murray lands himself in the middle of a real espionage plot, and even as the bullets start flying and the bodies start dropping around him, he still thinks it's all just part of the show in this very silly but very entertaining late 90s comedy with a fine British supporting cast. Somehow you just don't expect to have Victor Meldrew as the villain in a Bill Murray comedy! :lol:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:04 am

I was thinking of going to see The Mummy today, but changed my mind, not least because of all the bad reviews. Instead I went to the video shop and rented a bunch of flicks, including Logan. Logan - aka Wolverine - is ekeing out a meagre existence as a chauffeur in 2029, trying to look after an ailing Professor Xavier (Patrick Stewart) in a world where mutants are dying out. Trying to stay under the radar, Logan instead finds himself becoming an initially reluctant bodyguard to a young girl being hunted by powerful forces and who has some very familiar powers... Hugh Jackman's stint as Wolverine comes to an end in this 2017 superhero flick that is darker than the norm - and certainly earns its R rating with the bloodletting. Pretty good, if a bit overrated and about half an hour too long.
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:26 am

A Cure for Wellness. An ambitious young executive is sent to the Swiss Alps to try and bring back his company's CEO, who is refusing to leave a luxury health farm. But following a car accident, he finds himself unable to leave and increasingly cut off from the outside world, and becomes more and more convinced that this "health farm" is hiding some very dark secrets... This creepy weirdo modern thriller was a rather delightful surprise and really entertaining and engrossing in spite of its rather long running time. I was particularly happy to see the film refusing to go to some by now tired cliche ending (where the "twist" is that the main character is just losing his mind and imagining all the sinister goings-on) and instead delivers a proper (if warped as hell) plot and plunge into full-on horror territory in the last act. Really enjoyed this! And the young woman in it bugged the hell out of me until I realised it was the teenage runaway who was targeted as a potential witness by the serial killing "Truth Terrorist" in season 1 of The Tunnel! :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:08 am

Aftermath. A terrible tragedy has aftershocks that result in another tragedy in this dark drama starring Arnold Schwarzenegger. Arnie is an ordinary man whose world collapses around him when his wife and daughter are killed in a plane crash, the result of human error on the part of the Air Traffic Controller, whose life simultaneously collapses in the wake of his fatal mistake. But Arnie's grief, shock and growing anger at his inability to get a simple "I'm sorry" from anyone in the airline leads him to an unthinkable act... Big Arnie gives a powerful performance in this very good film based on a shocking true story. :shock:
Ian
Webmaster

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment