Last Film You Watched

Moderator: Ian

Re: Last Film You Watched

Postby fish » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:00 am

Recorded it from pay TV a week ago, watched it last night.

Strange and beautiful story, superb cast.
Directed by Guillermo del Toro.

Multi award winner. https://metro.co.uk/2018/01/23/shape-water-sally-hawkins-octavia-spencer-michael-shannon-star-oscar-nominated-movie-7252900/

If you get the chance to see it, see it. :Y
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Santi » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:48 pm

I saw it a while time ago but I did not lower it. Now I will look at it.
Santi
Crew Member

Postby fish » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:47 am

Santi wrote:...Now I will look at it.

That's the value of recording it.
I watched it a second time soon after the first.
So many things became more clear.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:20 am

Overlord. A group of young American soldiers land behind enemy lines on D-Day, only to find the Nazis even Naztier than they thought and engaged in horrific experiments to create supersoldiers. An odd mix of World War II thrills and (eventually) horror, Overlord is an entertaining enough shaggy dog story.
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Santi » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:15 pm

Ian wrote:Overlord.

You love horror movies. :r
Not me. :N
Santi
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:46 am

Oh yes. :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:42 am

Funny Farm. A New York sports journalist and his wife decide to pack it in and start a new life in a small country town in a bid to get out of the rat race and have a simpler life... but things don't go entirely according to plan. Chevy Chase stars in this very enjoyable late 80s comedy that is just gently humorous for its first 3/4, but becomes absolutely hilarious in its last act (which is also, entirely coincidentally as I don't recall ever seeing this before or, if I have, it must have been the late 80s and I certainly don't remember, set at Christmas, rather wonderfully). I really enjoyed this. :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Santi » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:05 pm

Have you rescued this vhs from the grandfather's box in the basement? :mrgreen:
Santi
Crew Member

Postby fish » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:37 am

Santi wrote:...grandfather's box in the basement? :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:25 am

:P
I have it on shiny Blu ray. Like all the truly great movies (i.e 70s/80s/90s). :P
Well, with one notable exception... :roll:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:06 am

Bear Island. A scientific team head to a remote island that once served as HQ to Nazi U-boats during World War II to study climate change, only to find conspiracy and murder somehow linked to the island's dark past awaiting them. This entertaining late 70s thriller based on the Alastair McLean novel is bouyed by the spectacular and atmospheric location as well as an excellent cast including Donald Sutherland, Vanessa Redgrave, Christopher Lee and Lloyd Bridges (though I must confess to having difficulty taking the latter seriously after Airplane and the Hot Shots movies ). A solid start to my 2019 movie watching! :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby M83 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:04 am

The Last Waltz- Martin Scorsese's directed music documentary/Live gig about the Band's last gig's with special guest's Bob Dylan. Joni Mitchell, Van Morrison, Neil Young etc. They just re-released on Blu Ray, so got it for Christmas. Fantastic film.

Ran- Akira Kurosawa's retelling of Shakespeare's King Lear. Grim, and downbeat but beautiful shot and acted.

Metropolitan- Whit Stillman's Directorial Debut from 1989, based around a rich students from New York who befriend a new student and invite him to a ton of parties. Far more interesting then my description. Wonderful turn from Carolyn Farina, who should have became a massive star but sadly didn't.

My Life as A Dog- A Swedish film from 1985, which was Oscar Nom for Best Foreign Film. From Lasse Hallstrom (who went on to direct Hollywood films like Chocolat and What's Eating Gilbert Grape) but for me this is still his best film. A boy (Anton Glanzelius), obsessed with comparing himself with those less fortunate, experiences a different life at the home of his aunt and uncle (Tomas von Brömssen) in 1959 Sweden. Sweet and sad film but very funny, Anton Glanzelius is great as the young lad but it's Melinda Kinnaman as tomboy Saga, who leaves the biggest impression. Also interesting fact, the actress Anki Liden who plays the boy's mother, is in fact the mother in real life of the late Avicii.
M83
Gold Member

Postby fish » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:58 am

M83 wrote:...My Life as A Dog- A Swedish film from 1985...

I've had that DVD for years.
I've forgotten how many, it's been that long.
As I recall I enjoyed it last time I saw it. :D
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:30 am

Charade. Audrey Hepburn is a young woman whose husband - who she's already planning to divorce - turns up first murdered and then to not be who she thought he was. It soon transpires that some very dangerous people want what they claim he stole from them - and now they think she's got it. Cary Grant co-stars in this mid 60s Alfred Hitchcock thriller that I really enjoyed for the most part. It has to be said, much of the "romantic comedy banter" stuff between Hepburn (who I otherwise rather liked) and Grant is painful and cringey as hell, but the mystery/thriller stuff (which is thankfully most of the film) stands up well, bouyed further by an excellent supporting cast including Walter Matthau, James Coburn and George Kennedy (all younger than I've ever seen them before lol!). All in all I rather liked this. :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Santi » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:38 pm

M83 wrote:My Life as A Dog- ...

My uncle always says that, in this life, even to be a dog you have to be lucky (it's not the same dog in Beverly Hill, as a stray dog) :lol:
Santi
Crew Member

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment