Last Film You Watched

Moderator: Ian

Re: Last Film You Watched

Postby Ian » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:49 am

The Strange and Deadly Occurrence. A family begin to be terrorised in their new home by an unseen enemy. Is it a personal vendetta, or does someone just want them out of the house for their own reasons? Robert Stack and Vera Miles star in this standard but still pretty entertaining mid 70s TV movie thriller.
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:22 am

Saw Happy Death Day 2U at the cinema the other day. The original was slight but fun, but this one is bloated and unnecessarily wildly overcomplicated, losing the simplistic conceit and thus charm of the original with unwanted gobbledygook explanations and a wholly unwanted lurch more into sci-fi and even broader comedy than horror. Eh, I wasn't impressed. :(

Saw. Two men wake up chained in a bathroom, the latest victims of a notorious serial killer known as "Jigsaw", and soon find themselves expected to play a very deadly game. Cary Elwes, Danny Glover, Monica Potter and Michael Emerson star in the original Saw which, even despite its endless pointless sequels, remains a potent and intense horror thriller come whodunnit. Still a very fine film. :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:54 am

Ian wrote:...wake up chained in a bathroom...

Don't you hate it when that happens? *:|* :P
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:10 am

It's called Sunday in my house. :P
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:16 am

Can't Hardly Wait. With graduation over and just one last big blowout high school party left to go, Preston (Ethan Embry) has just a few hours left to tell the girl of his dreams (Jennifer Love Hewitt) how he feels about her. I hadn't seen this late 90s teen comedy for about 14 years despite having it on DVD, but just upgraded it to a Blu ray and actually thoroughly enjoyed it last night. I must admit I like it more than the American Pie movies, probably because the humour is a lot less of the cringe/grossout variety (which seems to be all modern comedies consist of these days). There's a great ensemble and almost a who's who of late 90s young Hollywood, and Seth Green all but steals the show with his laughable wannabe gangster talk. It looks lovely on Blu too, so glad I upgraded. :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:36 am

Ian wrote:...so glad I upgraded. :D

Showing off again I see. Image :P
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:20 am

I have to show off about something. :P
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:09 am

Fighting With My Family. An 18 year old working class English girl gets the chance to potentially become part of the WWF in this British comedy drama based on a true story. I didn't really know what to expect from this, and I really only went to see it for something to do this afternoon, and I have to say the trailer is a tad misleading, making it look like strictly a knockabout comedy, when it's really more of an underdog sports drama. It starts like a comedy, and frankly some of the 'modern' humour was so cringey I was starting to think "oh God, what have I done? Have I got to sit through 2 hours of this?" but then something unexpected happened. It started to get real, and I actually started to give a crap about the characters and the story. And I ultimately really enjoyed it. A pleasent surprise. :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:58 am

Sounds like it must have been raining heavily when you went in. :shock: :P

Ian wrote:...A pleasent surprise...

Please select one of the following...

Pleasint
Pleasunt
Pleasynt
Pleasant
Pleasont

I'm sure you'll find one that better suits your needs. Image :P :lol:

I don't mind being called a pedant as long as you spell it correctly. *:)* :lol:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:19 am

Jackiss. :P :T :mrgreen:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:02 am

I said sorry. :x

Oh, no I didn't. Sorry :oops: :( :wink: :lol:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:18 am

The Boogens. A mining company blasts open an old mine left disused and sealed up for decades after a deadly cave-in, only to let out something that was best left buried... This rather obscure early 80s horror flick turned out to be much better than I was expecting. The only cast member I recognised was Rebecca Balding (who played Carol in Soap) but all the actors were solid and engaging and the characters likeable, it was well made with a nice winter/snowy setting, which always adds to atmosphere, and while a slow burn it kept me interested through to an exciting ending. The monsters are wisely kept off-screen till the end, being a bit silly looking, but ferocious enough to be a threat and the deaths actually have impact because you actually like the characters. I rather liked this! :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:34 am

Avengers: Endgame. The remaining Avengers reassemble in a last ditch effort to defeat Thanos and reverse the murder of billions in this big blowout movie that is essentially the end of the MCU as we know it. I'm not the biggest fan of the genre, but even at the buttnumbing 3 hour running time I was kept engaged and entertained, and the ending was actually a bit of a choker. :(
Good film, though it's difficult to see this series maintaining this momentum now. I don't find most of the 'replacement' characters coming in terribly appealing, to be honest.
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:51 am

Ian wrote:...to be honest.

Oh dear, trying to fake honesty has never w*rked for either of us in the past. *:|* :P
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:14 am

Seems to work for politicians. :P
Ian
Webmaster

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment