Last Film You Watched

Moderator: Ian

Postby mpox » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:17 am

snaps wrote:The two young leads, Emily Perkins and Katharine Isabelle, have both had a steady stream of acting work since. They both put in excellent performances and the minor roles were well scripted and acted too. Especially noteworthy the Mother and Sam in the first film and Tatiana Maslany as Ghost in ''Ginger Snaps; Unleashed'' whose giggly manic wierdness provides the perfect counterblance to Brigitte's doomy depressive nature. :twisted:

I thought the second film stood up very well to the first (and they're two of my favorite horror movies), and in some ways I like it more as it's much darker and Brigitte gets all grrl power. It doesn't really have the sense of humor of the first but it had its moments (e.g. the "self awareness" scene with the hairy palm, bwah).

P.S. You have rampant killer sheep in Australia too? :shock:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0779982/
mpox
Gold Member

Postby fish » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:37 am

mpox wrote:
snaps wrote:P.S. You have rampant killer sheep in Australia too? :shock:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0779982/

What I find most frightening was that someone actually liked it. :shock:

Moa of course was offered the starring role but turned it down when she found out about the barbeque planned for later. 8)

And as for "I thought you of all people would appreciate efforts to deconstruct the colonialist paternalistic agrarian hierarchy that disenfranchises the Tangata Whenua and erodes the natural resources of Aotearoa." Well I would have thought that was obvious. _O^
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:09 pm

I read the synopsis. Wow what a freaky plotline! :shock: What brand of furniture polish was he sniffing when he wrote that one? :?
snaps
Crew Member

Postby fish » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:44 am

With a reference to "Aotearoa" he's obviously a New Zealander rather than an Aussie so we can reject any claim that we were responsible for weakening his gene pool. :P
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:28 pm

What's the diffrence between New Zealanders and Australians? Are they like Aussies, only sober? :D
snaps
Crew Member

Postby fish » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:02 pm

snaps wrote:What's the diffrence between New Zealanders and Australians? Are they like Aussies, only sober? :D

I think you might find a similar response referring to Belgians as French, or Norwegians as Swedes.....I'm trying to find a comparison for the English but for some reason they all come out looking like compliments. :P :lol: :wink:

A sober New Zealander. Imagine. :shock:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:17 pm

Well I was born Canadian so I guess I shouldn't laugh. As everyone knows we are just Yankees who talk too high pitched. :)

I've often wondered what New Zealanders need with all that butter ? Haven't they heard of Astroglide? :oops:
snaps
Crew Member

Postby fish » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:42 am

snaps wrote:Well I was born Canadian so I guess I shouldn't laugh.:oops:

And everyone walked away........ :shock:

8)
Then you know exactly what's going on.

And the butter? A much healthier alternative to Astroglide. Made from real cows, unless you can find sheeps' butter, then you're really talking. :twisted:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:12 pm

You and I have very prehensile minds. :Y Consider for a moment the topic of this thread. How did we end up here? as I have said on occasions the morning after :oops:

I need good film recommendations. so much crap around. I need a film like FA/SML that I can disappear into and LIVE inside to blot out everything else around me, at least for a while. They don't seem to make many films like that these days. I have to keep going backwards.

I did get a very cheap ex-rental copy of "Single White Female" today off the market. Joy!!! but scarey :? I've known a couple of cases real life like this, not ending in murder or anyfink too bad but oooo spoooooky. But it seems to be a very gurl thang *:|* . Maybe thats why it wasnt quite the hit it deserved to be?
snaps
Crew Member

Postby fish » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:31 am

I thought SWF was great, and very scary. She was severely demented in the "I'm going to live your life" department.

Love this kind of film. :twisted:

Have you tried films like Being John Malkovich or Girl Interrupted?
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:08 am

My list of favourite films, Snaps (not including the obvious) :wink: :

Aliens
An American Werewolf in London
Arachnohphobia
Batman
Batman Returns
Black Christmas (the 1974 ORIGINAL)
The Dead Zone
Die Hard
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Election
Ghostbusters
Gremlins
Groundhog Day
Halloween (ORIGINAL!)
Leon
Let The Right One In
Mulholland Drive
The Royal Tenenbaums
Serendipity
Three Amigos
12 Monkeys

:wink:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:38 am

I thought I was the only one who liked Serendipity. :shock:
Cute little story. John Cusack is always good and Kate Beckinsale is just magnificent, (reading a Swedish tv guide or not.)
She's great in Laurel Canyon as well. :)P :wink:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:19 am

Thanks for the recommendations guys. :)

Girl Interrupted is in my top ten already deffo.

Actually a lot on codys list that I have seen are already firm faves like

Aliens (i like all but the third one in the cycle), An American Werewolf in London, Arachnophobia, Die Hard (and sequels, love the dark humor), Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Groundhog Day (feels like my life!), Leon (superbly different with edgy characters), Let The Right One In (of course), Mulholland Drive etc

Have got over most of the kidstuff type films now, and I usually tend to avoid overly hyped films, sugary sweet, and blockbusterish promoted films. I go more for psychological thrillers like Blue Velvet or edgy social drama/romance which is why I see a lot of continental films.

There's some on the list I haven't seen. As youve both mentioned Serendipity I wil have to keep an eye out for, and some of the others you've referenced I have seen around but not viewed, I will check.

It's odd as I've missed out on so many being at a prissy girls boarding school but bizarrely being allowed to see ''arthouse'' films as they were considered ''cultural''. :D
snaps
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:56 am

snaps wrote:
Actually a lot on codys list that I have seen are already firm faves like

Aliens (i like all but the third one in the cycle), An American Werewolf in London, Arachnophobia, Die Hard (and sequels, love the dark humor), Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Groundhog Day (feels like my life!), Leon (superbly different with edgy characters), Let The Right One In (of course), Mulholland Drive etc

Ooh, you have actually some taste, girl. :wink: :P :roll:

No, I really liked Serendipity too, fish. It's just another daft american romantic comedy and yet it somehow... WORKS.
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:27 pm

Browsing through the movie channels earlier....
There it was.....
Black Sheep. :shock:
Mutant, carnivorous sheep everywhere. :shock: :shock:

Didn't watch it all but saw enough in 5 minutes to work out where it belonged on the list of all time great films. :r
Fish
fish
Crew Member

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment