Last Film You Watched

Moderator: Ian

Re: Last Film You Watched

Postby Ian » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:05 am

REC. A young female journalist and her cameraman are doing a story on a typical night for a local fire service when they are trapped - quarantined - in an apartment building where a terrifying virus is running rampant and turning the residents into flesh-eating zombies in this late 2000s "found footage" Spanish horror flick that is absolutely one of the best (if not the best) of its genre. Tense, adrenaline-fuelled and often watch-through-your-fingers scary. :shock:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:20 am

Went to the cinema today to see Annabelle Creation. 12 years after losing their young daughter in a tragic accident, a middle aged couple throw open their large home to a group of young girl orphans and their nun caretaker. But a presence lurks in this home, a dormant evil that is only too happy to be reactivated in the presence of so many new young souls... This prequel to a prequel to the original Conjuring has (unlike the first prequel) gotten pretty good reviews so I decided to check it out and enjoyed it. It's the same old spooky schtick but it's well made and acted and is very entertaining, with some great scares. One of the main little girls in this being terrorised by demonic forces was in last year's Ouija Origin of Evil, being terrorised by demonic forces. Poor lass is going to get a complex... :lol:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:32 pm

The Circle. Emma Watson (yay!) is a struggling young woman whose best friend (Karen Gillan, yay!) gets her a job at a massive tech company known as The Circle, which is obsessed with connecting everything online and having the whole world, and everyone it, always under observation. Grateful and overawed at everything around her, Emma well and truly drinks the Kool-Aid, to the extent of agreeing to be "observed" basically all day, every day, and rapidly rises within the company to gain the ear of its founders (Tom Hanks and Patton Oswalt). But her involvement with the company gradually begins to erode at her friendships and family, and ultimately results in tragedy... This high-tech drama/thriller seems to have been widely panned, though I've no idea why, to be honest. It's well acted by all, certainly benefiting from the presence and charisma of Watson, Hanks and Gillan, and as an introverted anti-social git who hates social media anyway, I found it all very creepy and disturbing. It's also rather unsettling that both Watson's screen parents here, Bill Paxton and Glenne Headly, died between shooting and release. A solid flick. The only disappointment is that, even with the surprising amount of screen time - and really good chemistry! - between Emma and Karen, there was still no kiss. :evil: :P :lol:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:31 am

Ian wrote:...between Emma and Karen, there was still no kiss. :evil: :P :lol:

You're going to have to tighten up on your editorial control there Ian. :P :lol:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:12 am

I stand by that complaint. :P
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:16 am

The Mummy. The 2017 version, where Tom Cruise battles an undead woman with nasty powers who wants to... I don't know, cause general chaos. Or something. Really, who the hell cares? This got massively panned and while I kind of wanted to like it as I don't mind Cruise and I sometimes have a tendency to wildly disagree with some whiny critics on some films (T5 and the recent The Circle being prime examples), I thought this deserved a drubbing and then some. Lifeless, lazy runaround CGI boreathon. In the immortal words of Monty Python, it's a piece of s***, when you look at it. :roll: :P
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:15 am

IT. A bunch of kids in the late 80s come to the terrifying realisation that their small town plays home to a demonic entity that feeds on children in part one of an intended 2-part adaptation of the Stephen King horror bestseller. IT has been filmed before, of course, as a TV mini-series back in 1990 (27 years ago, rather deliciously the same length of time in which IT hibernates between each killing spree). What worked then were the kid cast and Tim Curry as the Pennywise the Clown manifestation of IT; what didn't work as well were the adult cast playing the older version of the kids and the general execution, which was was often a bit TV Movie lame. The good news is the new kids and the new Pennywise live up to their predecessors, while the film leaves out the adult aspect entirely (presumably for the second film) and the execution is undeniably just all round better, classier, and scarier. The late 80s setting and vibe is also very nice. All in all the new IT is a more than worthy effort and a very entertaining horror flick. :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:36 am

Ghostbusters. Haven't seen this in about six and a half years, and this is the first time I've seen it on Blu ray and on my bigger TV, and I have to say absolutely I loved it to bits all over again. The Blu ray looks absolutely gorgeous and the film is as magic and funny as it was 33 years ago.
Still one of my all time favourite movies. :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:09 am

Christmas Evil. A rather sad man obsessed with Christmas, toys and Santa Claus goes completely go-ga on Xmas Eve, simultaneously emulating Santa by bringing toys to kids while also killing a few people along the way. This 1980 horror (?) movie is as peculiar as it gets, from the loonytunes essentially being the central character that we follow all the way, right through to the completely WTF ending that has to be seen to be gawped at. Not terrible, not exactly good either, but oddly watchable in a "I've no idea where this is going" sort of way. :T :lol:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:37 am

Ian wrote:...A rather sad man obsessed with Christmas, toys and Santa Claus goes completely go-ga on Xmas Eve...

I don't know about you, but I just hate these biographical movies. :T :P :lol:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:08 am

Now if he'd had a Harry Potter fan-fic collection I really would be worried. :shock: :lol:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:21 am

Lethal Weapon 3. Riggs and Murtaugh are back, this time up against a corrupt former cop who's stealing deadly weapons and putting them back on the streets in this entertaining sequel. The 3rd film in the iconic buddy cop action series isn't quite on the same level as the first two, lacking a certain intensity and the villain just doesn't live up to the bad guys in the first two either, but it's full of great action and laughs, and Rene Russo is a welcome addition as a badass Internal Affairs officer who quickly strikes up some romantic sparks with Riggs. Still good fun. :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:28 am

Went to the cinema today to see Happy Death Day. Groundhog Day meets Scream in this entertaining tongue in cheek horror flick as a bitchy college girl finds herself endlessly reliving the same day over and over again - the day that, no matter what she does, always ends with her being brutally murdered by a mysterious masked killer. This is an unremarkable but still fun piece of fluff that almost feels like a throwback to the late 90s post-Scream run of 'yoof' horror flicks, and there are worse things to be, it has to be said. Not great but perfectly watchable.
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:49 am

Cult of Chucky. Chucky's back... unfortunately. Nina (Fiona Dourif), now in a mental home after being convicted of murdering her family because no one believes Chucky did it, finds her doll-sized nemesis on his way back with a score to settle and some new tricks up his sleeve in this massively disappointing entry in the series. The previous entry, 2013's excellent Curse of Chucky, put things back on an old school track after the bloated self-indulgent failure of Seed of Chucky back in the early 2000s, but apparently writer-director Don Mancini hasn't learned from his mistake after all, because what we get served up here is much closer to that godawful mess than it is the lean and entertaining Curse. Make no mistake, I fricking hated this movie. I didn't want to, in fact I've been looking forward to it for ages, but crap this was bad. The plot is lopsided, convoluted and fairly nonsensical, and there's also a new and decidedly unwanted sense of unpleasent mean-spiritedness to the film with its excessive gore (not something the series has ever really needed before), the implied fate of Alice, the little girl from Curse, and the nature of Nina's psychiatrist. I ended up wholly disliking this film from top to bottom. A huge disappointment. :T :cry: :evil:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:29 am

The Seven-Ups. An elite police unit dedicated to getting results with no one asking too many questions about their methods come up against a brutal psychopath and his partner who are kidnapping Mob bosses for ransom. Roy Scheider stars in this gritty early 70s cop thriller that's watchable and entertaining enough, if nothing particularly special. An awesome car chase midway through is the standout sequence, and Richard Lynch is creepy as the villain.
Ian
Webmaster

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment