Let The Right One In

Moderator: Ian

Postby Ian » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:45 am

Where did you order yours from, fish?
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:12 am

codyw1
I found him on EBay UK, he/she's in Singapore and has the seller name Fox36705, BUT....... I just had a look at his "store" and it shows "This seller currently has no items for sale"......

I had a quick look on both the OZ and UK EBay sites as well and all I could see were the US region 1 and Blu Ray copies. The German EBay site is sometimes helpful but the Swedish site has always refused to let me spend money.

Sing out if you can't find a copy and you can borrow mine if all else fails.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:27 am

I was just wondering if the one I'd already ordered was going to be the same. Probably not. I've already got another version, though, with the right subtitles, I was just wondering if the dvd I'd ordered was going to be like yours. Like I said, probably not! :roll: :wink:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:54 am

It's tough though when you have to buy multiple copies just to try to get some decent subtitles. Best of luck.

Wouldn't it be nice just to have a Babelfish in your ear?
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:44 am

LOL Yeah. Actually, I went on a 'Learn Swedish' site a couple of months ago. A bit too difficult for me, I think, though! :wink:

Now, I didn't exactly say I BOUGHT the other copy. :wink: (Though in all honesty, providing I like it, I probably will eventually anyway if the local release has the right subs. I'm a sucker like that. :wink: )
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:09 pm

So, Codyw1, what did you think of the film?
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:36 am

I'm planning to watch it tomorrow night. :D

You can call me Ian if you like, fish. :wink:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:41 am

Watched Let the Right One In last night.
I loved it. Touching and dark in equal measures, with some extraordinary performances from the two young actors. Lina Leandersson is particularly astonishing, managing to be sympathetic yet sinister, sweet yet very scary. Perhaps my only problem with the film is the subplot about a victim she inadvertently infects, which doesn't work very well IMHO. Then again, it only takes up about 5 minutes of screen time in total, so I'm not too fussed. Mercifully devoid of sweeping orchestral scores, smothering CGI and MTV editing, this is a moody, atmospheric little movie that will seep into your imagination. I'm still thinking about it and some of it's implications (particularly in regard to Eli's 'father' (who obviously isn't.) Could he have once been just like Oskar? After all, Oskar won't be 12 forever. Where Eli always will be). Dark, layered stuff. LOVED IT. Quite probably going to be my film of the year.

And my second favourite Swedish film of all time! :wink: :P :lol:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:03 am

Couldn't agree more Ian. I thought the deepest most troubling bit was after the film ended and I began to think "what is Oskar's future?"
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:47 pm

Now I've seen it too and I also liked it, even though I'm not really into fantasy or horror

But it was a well made and touching film

Did you know Lina Leandersson's voice is dubbed in the film?

Apparently her voice was considered too young or childish so another actress spoke her lines, but the voice fits very well to the person
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:47 am

I understand she wasn't dubbed, but that her voice was 'modulated' slightly to make it sound slightly deeper. That's what I heard, anyway.
Ian
Webmaster

Postby bruno » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:12 pm

fish wrote:I agree with Bruno that Oskar's fate looks like being the same as the guy who lived with Eli and foraged for food for her, in fact I wondered if he started out the in same way as Oskar.

In the book the man protecting Eli and foraging for food is a pedo guy who "loves" her/him.
So it's not the same thing, but the problem remains, what good side this relationship can have, if any?
bruno
Gold Member

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:52 pm

I read she actually is dubbed by another girl, so it's not her own voice that's been 'modulated'

And like Bruno says the old man is a pedo in the book

Haven't read it myself but they say the book is even darker than the film, a lot of stuff where left out in the film version
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby fish » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:56 am

And like Bruno says the old man is a pedo in the book

I'm not too sure whether I feel better or not about that.
Sort of takes away a bit of the innocence about Eli. (if there really was any to begin with). Does the book give him any more background, like how long he had been with Eli and how they came together in the first place?
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:07 am

I'm not sure I really care what's in the book; that doesn't make it true in the film (look at Breakfast at Tiffany's. I seem to recall George Costanza being taken by surprise by the difference between the book and the film :wink: ).

I think the film is very smart in leaving it unclear who he is. The possibility that he may once have been just like Oskar is one of the more unsettling aspects of the movie, and a masterstroke in my opinion.
Ian
Webmaster

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment