Let The Right One In

Moderator: Ian

Re: Let The Right One In

Postby fish » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:13 am

codyw1 wrote:They'd probably get lynched if they didn't. :D

They didn't. :x

World Movies channel is of course a subsiduary of SBS who always do their own subtitles in their own idiosyncratic Australian kind of way. They actually weren't bad, different, but not bad. :)
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:56 am

Oh dear! :roll: :shock: *:|*
Ian
Webmaster

Postby kant1781 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:59 pm

fish wrote:ImageImage

Quite shocking! :shock: You wouldn't believe what this dangerous red-head can do with her teeth!
:lol:
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby fish » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:50 am

kant1781 wrote:Quite shocking! :shock: You wouldn't believe what this dangerous red-head can do with her teeth! :lol:

I live in constant fear of red-heads with sharp teeth. :shock: :P
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:34 pm

fish wrote: I live in constant fear of red-heads with sharp teeth. :shock: :P

Be afraid :shock: Be VERY afraid :evil:
snaps
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:25 am

Still kinda turned on, actually. :shock: :P :lol:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:29 am

codyw1 wrote:Still kinda turned on, actually. :shock: :P :lol:

Have to agree, even after the initial "ouch" reaction. :shock: :lol:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:06 pm

Hope you guys have been behaving yourselves while Ive been off-duty, paddling in the North Sea 8) No sharks but other unwelcome objects floating around :r

Be warned, we Ginger's can be very passionate;

snaps
Crew Member

Postby fish » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:19 am

You've been piddling in the where :?: :shock:

snaps wrote:Be warned, we Ginger's can be very passionate;

Not in the Noth Sea I hope. Never know what's been fouling the water there. :lol:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby triddy » Sun May 30, 2010 8:00 pm

Well, I finally saw this film (I know, as a Swede I should be severely punished for not having seen it yet) and I need somewhere to put my thoughts about it, so you guys will have to deal with my rambling. :P Here goes:

I agree with most of the things people on this board have said, even though I don't really think the relationship between Eli and Oskar is the most interesting, or the most important, thing. What really made me touched by the film was how it dealt with the whole "vampire-issue". I absolutely loved how the writer basically has taken one of the oldest and most mysterious myths, completely unmystefied it, put in a Stockholm suburb and added a completely different plot to it. I mean, I find the main plot in this film to be about Oskar, and how he tries to deal with his loneliness and the bullies. You never really find out a lot about Eli - how did she become a vampire, when, where? It's almost like her life is some sort of subplot, and less relevant to the story.

For some reason, I see many similarities between this film and FÅ, if you look at their differences from Hollywood films. Whereas teenage films in the US tend to be about happy, good-looking, polished kids with exciting lives, Fucking Åmål is the Swedish version - unhappy, normal-looking kids with dead boring lives and and who are looking for a way out of that. Basically the way most teenagers in real life are. Now if you take the case of Vampire films, it's actually pretty much the same - Twilight is mysterious and sexy and vampirehood is romanticized, something to almost look up to. Then look at Let the right one in - here you have the dull, everyday life of a completely normal kid, and the vampires in the film are not mystified or romanticized at all. It deals with something as fantastic as what the everyday life of a vampire really would look like. The everyday life where you have do go into the forest cold winter nights to hide the ones you have had to kill. The difficultness of actually killing - the man Eli lives with failes to get the blood both times, and doesnt seem to enjoy it at all. And the whole film is set in a stone-cold Swedish suburb, with grey surroundings and people. Not very mysterious at all. But still in some way they are able to keep it interesting, and that is definately impressive. Or maybe that is exactly the interesting thing about the film - take the mysteriousness and sexyness of hollywood vampires, and lose it. This is the real deal. Vampire-flicks goes Bergman-style, gotta love it! *:)*

Thanks for reading, and whatcha think?
triddy
Gold Member

Postby Ian » Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Glad you enjoyed it, triddy. I agree it is a "Deglamourising" of the vampire, and that's one of the reasons why it's so potent. I think you underestimate the importance of the Eli/Oskar relationship, though. There's pretty much no story without it!
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Mon May 31, 2010 3:03 am

triddy wrote:...look at Let the right one in - here you have the dull, everyday life of a completely normal kid, and the vampires in the film are not mystified or romanticized at all. It deals with something as fantastic as what the everyday life of a vampire really would look like...

Not seen it till now?????? :shock:
For shame, for shame. :P :lol:

I agree that the stripping away of the syrupy romantic aspects as shown in films like Twilight only serve to lift LTROI into a class of its own in the "Vampire" genre. What you are left with is a story so real, so stark in its cold dark atmosphere that it almost seems like real life.

Lots of people have differing views on the Eli/Oskar relationship, a lot of them depending on whether or not they've read the book. In my view the real importance comes late in the film with the realisation that Oskar is going to be Eli's next "helper".

However it's seen the performances of the two young kids in the lead roles cannot be praised highly enough, and whatever interpretation you care to use, I think its a great film.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby triddy » Mon May 31, 2010 8:01 pm

codyw1 wrote:I think you underestimate the importance of the Eli/Oskar relationship, though. There's pretty much no story without it!

You're right about that, of course. But for some reason that's not what I focused on while watching it. I just could't help being more fascinated by the whole matter-of-fact tone of the film (even though it has creepy and mysterious moments). Like "yeah she's a vamp, and it sucks 'cause she has to live with a pedo so he can get her blood, otherwise she will die of hunger." And then there's absolutely no more info about her.

fish wrote:Lots of people have differing views on the Eli/Oskar relationship, a lot of them depending on whether or not they've read the book

That's completely true. My friend has read the book and after seeing the film he said that watching it completely ruined the book for him. I intend to read it, it will be interesting to see what it's like.
triddy
Gold Member

Postby Ian » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:28 am

Either way I'm sure we're all on the same page as to what a great movie it was. An instant classic for me, which is partly why I'm not really interested in reading the book. Movies that are such a pleasure are very rare these days, and I don't really want to alter my own personal interpretation of the film with the book, if that makes sense. :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:56 am

Just when you thought it was safe to get back into the water......

"John Ajvide Lindqvist's book "Let the Right One In 'director Tomas Alfredson has made an acclaimed film, to become an American comic book. Hammer Films, which right now is to produce and the American remake of the film, has signed an agreement with comic book publisher Dark Horse to produce a comic book, writes Movie News. The album should be completed October 1, when the American film, which will be called "Let Me In", will premiere. It is unclear whether the story of Oskar and Eli, or Owen and Abby as they are called in the American film, becomes a regular comic book"

http://www.filmpoolnord.se/hem/nyhetsarkiv/
article dated 20 April 2010.

Fish
fish
Crew Member

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment