Postby Ian » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:15 am

LOL Well, thanks for that, Magnus! :shock: :P :D :lol:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby mpox » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:19 am

bruno wrote:
mpox wrote:Well, how?

Maybe having Eli speaking about that?

Think about how much was accomplished with one half-second shot and how much dialogue would need to be involved If Eli just outright dropped a bomb like that on Oskar. It'd take the plot in a direction it currently doesn't and probably shouldn't go; it's better to let us use our imagination as to what happens after the end of the movie rather than having the characters get into what their relationship means.
mpox
Gold Member

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:11 am

Have you checked out Lina in some interviews on YouTube ?

No subs unfortunately, but she refers to Eli as a girl and says it was really fun to make this movie, she says Eli is kind and caring and that she'd like to have her as a friend if she existed for real :lol:

Lina also likes darkness and horror movies, and she thinks Let The Right One In became a really good movie too :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXXf8SW-20s
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:37 am

I've seen a little of it, but yes, the lack of subtitles does make it rather pointless for us confused Westerners. :P :wink: :roll:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby mpox » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:02 am

codyw1 wrote:I've seen a little of it, but yes, the lack of subtitles does make it rather pointless for us confused Westerners. :P :wink: :roll:

They do have subtitles, you just need to select the CC option.

I don't see a conflict between what Lina said and how the movie portrays things, Eli was biologically a boy but seems to identify herself as a girl.

I hadn't seen these, deleted scenes from the movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTFk-jV_ ... re=related

The ones with Oskar and Eli kind of pointed towards a more involved relationship between them, I can't decide if I like it showing more of a justification for their bonding or not. I'd definitely have to know more context for the scene where Oskar hits Eli.

Oh, it's explained in comments:

It's explained better in the book:
She lied to him for weeks about her non-existent family and school, and he's just realized that she kills people, so he tries to leave her apartment. She grabs his wrist to stop him, and he tackles her to break free. Then his frustration reaches it's maximum and he hits her, but immediately regrets it.
mpox
Gold Member

Postby Ian » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:16 am

mpox wrote:
codyw1 wrote:I've seen a little of it, but yes, the lack of subtitles does make it rather pointless for us confused Westerners. :P :wink: :roll:

They do have subtitles, you just need to select the CC option.

]

Yes, I saw it straight after I'd posted. They must have added them on since last time I looked at it. Makes a nice change! :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:29 am

Thanks Agnes&Elin Forever! and mpox for those clips AND for explaining the CC button. I had no idea what that button was (and was afraid to ask) but it makes a real difference. What a nice interview.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby mpox » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:17 am

The deleted scenes got me interested enough in what else might be missing from the story to read the book.

Overall the screenwriter (also the book author) and director did a very good job condensing the plot to the bare essential which is the relationship between Eli and Oskar. There are a lot of subplots in the book which aren't really used in the movie, sometimes for the better.

First of all things are generally more bleak and Oskar is much more messed up in the book than he is in the movie. I guess they did it to make him more sympathetic but it helps explain why he'd be willing to run away with Eli at the end of the movie.

One thing we've discussed is whether Oskar will become the new Håkan, from reading the book this is impossible. There is no similarity in the relationship between Eli and Oskar and that of Eli and Håkan. While Håkan is indeed a pedo there is no sexual relationship between Eli and Håkan (though not for lack of Håkan desiring this, this is the draw to the relationship for him).

I'm not sure why they deleted the two scenes between Eli and Oskar now, perhaps to make the relationship more ambiguous? There is no such ambiguity in the book, Eli tells Oskar everything, and shows him after taking the shower. Oskar actually found out Eli used to be a boy before that, in the scene with the egg (which should be explained is a puzzle, and Eli is very interested in puzzles, which might help explain why the rubik's cube played such a prominent role in the movie, and also some of the connection they have at first) which led to a bit of soul searching that in retrospect I think would worked well in the movie but leaving it out gives the relationship a more innocent bent, considering their ages maybe that's not so bad.

The other big thing the book does is explain more about Eli, the author doesn't ever really explain how Eli became a vampire but does explain how he came to be castrated which Eli sort of tells/shows to Oskar. Eli is a much more tragic figure in the book and was fairly tragic in the movie to begin with.

They still leave the issue of just what the relationship is or will be up in the air, the end of the book is the same as the movie. The author does switch genders when talking about Eli (Elias) once he's shown Oskar that he's not a girl, or a boy really, but then he also has him pick out the dress instead of the clothing from Oskar's closet which was what was offered so I don't know... Anyway I've tried not to spoil too much, it's an interesting read but if you've seen the movie it will mostly fill in details and add in a few new characters.

Oh, one other thing that I thought was kind of interesting, the author started and ended his book the relationship between two Swedish outsiders with quotes from Morrissey songs. In fact the title derives from the second quote. Considering what a fan Moodysson is/was of Morrissey I wondered if maybe that was a bit of a shout out, though I guess it's not like the Smiths were a secret either. :)
mpox
Gold Member

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:29 pm

Thanks for the info mpox
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:22 pm

Last edited by snaps on Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
snaps
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:40 am

snaps wrote:Twilight bothers me in that it might influence young people into signing up to this vampire culture, as it seems fun and daring, with the allure of belonging to some kind of secret society that all kids love..

I wasn't aware this was actually an option in - er - reality. :P :lol:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby snaps » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:32 am

Last edited by snaps on Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
snaps
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:43 am

How very, very silly. :roll:
Ian
Webmaster

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment