Let The Right One In

Moderator: Ian

Let The Right One In

Postby Ian » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:10 am

Anyone seen this Swedish vampire flick?

It looks quite interesting from the trailer...
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:29 am

Should I take that as a no? :P
Ian
Webmaster

Postby mpox » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:14 am

codyw1 wrote:Should I take that as a no? :P

http://showmelove.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=810

I liked it quite a bit, but it's so atypical for the type of thing usually discussed here that I wouldn't have mentioned it except for the part I spoilered which I think is relevant to the main forum. Without reading the post again I was probably all gushy about it since I'd just seen it and that's more the type of film I'd be into than a straight (um... :)) love story.
mpox
Gold Member

Postby Ian » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:55 am

Ah, thanks mpox. I must have missed that first time, then again I've only heard about it the last couple of weeks. :wink:
Ian
Webmaster

(Let the right one in - spoiler)

Postby bruno » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:24 am

I watched the film today and liked it. Quite different from the vampire movies of old and recent times, it's more linked to youth problems like the loneliness and lack of communication... and bullying, obviously, but the topic of violence is more subtle in the film. The vampire girl kills to survive and reveals this to the boy, but she points out that the boy (Oskar) would kill in revenge if he could. And both accept what the other one thinks about violence and killing.

The boring and dull population of this suburb (or city?) is more slow to understand that someone is preying on them. And the wounded blonde woman prefers death (having the courtains opened by the male nurse) to becoming a vampire herself.

Who is the man who rents or buys the house near Oskar's, and tries to forage for blood in favour of the vampire girl? I hear that, in the book, he's a pedophile guy and Eli (the vampire girl) stays with him to get protection and aid. In the end of the movie Oskar is somehow doing the same thing... so it's not about love for Eli but about raw survival: she needs "normal" allies.

Quite a lot of food for tought and pardon my bad english please :)
bruno
Gold Member

Postby Gennis » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:05 pm

I've just finished watching it, and i liked it. It is indeed a different vampire movie than we're used to. I'd recommend it :)
Gennis
Faithfull Member

Postby Ian » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:01 am

I presume the release date got shoved back, since it's only just been shipped to me.

Still, hopefully be here next week.
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:44 am

I'm really looking forward to this, hope it comes next week!
Ian
Webmaster

Postby mpox » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:28 am

codyw1 wrote:I'm really looking forward to this, hope it comes next week!

Hopefully you'll get one of the newer pressing because I guess they bollocksed up the initial one with subpar English subs instead of using the ones from the theatrical release.

http://iconsoffright.com/news/2009/03/l ... in_to.html

There's a dubbed track that I guess has the proper lines but dubbed tracks are pretty universally terrible. :)
mpox
Gold Member

Postby fish » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:38 pm

I'm expecting my region 3 copy to arrive this week sometime and now I'm as nervous as hell that it will be infected by the "lame" subs.

Thanks mpox for the link to the Icons Of Fright website though. I appreciate the early warning.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:27 am

Oh hell, it better bloomin' well not! This sucks. I don't believe it!:cry:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Kolya » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:45 pm

If it's the wrong subtitle, you can always get the right one (no pun intended) here. Play the DVD via VLC player, choose original without subs in the DVD menu and load the correct, external subtitles via VLC's menu.
If the timing isn't correct you can delay it from within VLC or rewrite the timecodes with Subtitle Workshop. VLC and Subtitle Workshop are available for free.
Kolya
Gold Member

Postby Ian » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:10 am

Thanks Kolya, but I have already acquired another copy with the correct subtitles via - ahem - an alternative route.

It's pretty damn unacceptable, though. Apparently they're now going to put out the correct one, but won't swap them, so they expect people to buy it again! And then they wonder why piracy is on the increase. With that level of customer service, it's a real mystery, isn't it?! :roll: :shock:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby mpox » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:15 am

Kolya wrote:If it's the wrong subtitle, you can always get the right one (no pun intended) here. Play the DVD via VLC player, choose original without subs in the DVD menu and load the correct, external subtitles via VLC's menu.
If the timing isn't correct you can delay it from within VLC or rewrite the timecodes with Subtitle Workshop. VLC and Subtitle Workshop are available for free.

Yeah, it's not a good situation. This one is pretty close to the theatrical release:

English Let.The.Right.One.In.DVDRip.XviD.TFE (Corrected and Complete Dialog for the English Ver

There was a screener floating around with hardcoded subs that had the right ones in. ;)
mpox
Gold Member

Postby fish » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:45 am

My region 3 copy arrived and I had the chance to see the film today. I seem to have had good luck with the subtitles too.

It is certainly very different from the usual run of vampire/horror films in that it explores the relationship between Oskar and Eli very deeply. Even the gory scenes seemed to reflect Eli's point of view. The two main actors I thought were superb in the way they interacted.

I agree with Bruno that Oskar's fate looks like being the same as the guy who lived with Eli and foraged for food for her, in fact I wondered if he started out the in same way as Oskar.

Most of the actors played out their characters very well although my only downside was that the "bullies" were a bit wimpy. Even Oskar could have kicked their arses without any trouble.

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed this film and would recommend it to anyone.

Two parting thoughts: I just loved the way Eli climbed walls, and I loved the thought that she had been twelve for a VERY long time.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Next

Return to Entertainment