Lena Meyer Landrut

Discuss anything on your mind, with focus on films and music though.

Moderator: Ian

Lena Meyer Landrut

Postby kant1781 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:08 pm

Hej guys, I haven't been here so often as I planned in the last three weeks because I have sort of fallen in love... You wouldn't know, but our cosy little forum here has been the only one which I have ever frequented, until now. And I never expected to join another "fan" forum for anyone else ever again. But now I did, and I just thought I might share this new... obsession with those of you who are interested. :D

I have sort of fallen in love with an 18-year-old girl (don't worry, it's not that kind of love, it's rather a serious case of "I'd sooooo much like to have a little sister like that" affection :oops: ) from Germany called Lena Meyer-Landrut.

Until some weeks ago she was just a perfectly normal girl in the business of finishing school, until she sang in a German TV casting show. Now I know what you think at this point: Casting shows are crap and, musically speaking, no-go area. You are right and this is what I've always thought too. However, this show was different as it was deliberately planned to be some kind of "Anti-casting-show"-Casting-Show. The guys running it were serious musicians and producers, they promised there would be no cheap humiliation, no tearjerker background home stories, no judgments based on clothes or looks, no vocal or dance coaches forcing candidates into line. People would be allowed to perform "come as you are", to sing their own songs, to choose their own music. It would be just about music, and nothing else. And so it was.

Still, I didn't expect nothing and actually watched the first show only in order to make fun of it - like, I guess, many people did. Well, the candidates were decent, but not spectacular, until, as the very last candidate, this girl walked up on stage - rather clumsily, shaky, visibly nervous, hardly able to breathe. You had to be really afraid for her in that moment if you were looking. (I wasn't.) Then the bandleader counted in, and suddenly this girl rocked the stage like a pro, and I looked up and thought "What - the - f.....?! :shock: Who is this?" As soon as the song was over she turned back into a little girl again, half dying from nervousness and excitement, literally screaming and jumping up and down out of joy and bliss. I don't think I have ever seen such a moment of utmost sincerity on TV. That's when I (and, as it turned out, half the nation) fell in love with her.

What's even more remarkable is that she sang a song by British songer/songwriter Adele ("My Same"), who is not a household name in Germany, so few people knew the song. (You know the kind of charts fodder people usually perform in that kind of show.) And she kept on doing this. She sang songs by Kate Nash, then by a completely unknown American jazzpop band called The Bird and the Bee, by Jason Mraz, and by Australian singer/songwriter Lisa Mitchell whom few people in Germany had heard of before either. What happened in all of these cases was that, the very next day, every song performed by her, no matter how obscure, would shoot up the German single charts.

If you'd like to see that first performance of hers, you can do that here:
http://www.unser-star-fuer-oslo.de/videos/player/index.html?contentId=57482&initialTab=related
Sorry, I cannot point you to youtube because the TV production company keeps deleting any vid uploaded to YT. There's a short commercial spot here at first, after that, the real video begins. She starts singing at around 1:00. Don't miss her rejoicing after the song is over, it's magic.

What is most remarkable about her is her imperfection. Yes, she is cute, pretty, smart, well-educated, and funny (and rather foul-mouthed, by the way). In a word, completely lovable. But she has no stage experience, never had any lessons, her voice is completely untrained, it's all intuition, no technique, so she makes mistakes, sometimes she doesn't hit the notes right. Half of the people despise her for not singing "properly", not dancing "properly", not behaving "properly". But the other half, me among them, love her to bits and pieces for the sheer naturalness and truthfulness with which she literally lives through the songs she sings. If you'd like to listen to one more example, here's her performing "Mr Curiosity" by Jason Mraz, the only ballad she ever sang. I must admit that it drove tears to my eyes when I first listened to it, precisely because it is not faultless:
http://www.unser-star-fuer-oslo.de/videos/player/index.html?contentId=62452&initialTab=sendung&showId=1448-01

So that's Lena! The funniest thing is that the whole point of that casting show was to pick the German representative for a thing called the Eurovision Song Contest - the Europeans will know what I'm talking about, for the others be it enough to say that it is an age-old, very strange sort of pop song competition which has in the last two decades degenerated into a trash fest in which, furthermore, the Germans usually finish last. The idea was to find someone who could restore our dignity in that field. The result is, now that the nation has found Lena Meyer Landrut, everybody's so happy to have her that nobody gives a damn about the competition anymore. *:)*

Ah, so sorry for ranting...

(All of her performances: http://www.unser-star-fuer-oslo.de/kandidaten/)
kant1781
Crew Member

Re: Lena Meyer Landrut

Postby snaps » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:48 pm

hi Dave

pleased to know you have a new lovelight in your eyes.

kant1781 wrote:What is most remarkable about her is her imperfection. Yes, she is cute, pretty, smart, well-educated, and funny (and rather foul-mouthed, by the way). In a word, completely lovable. But she has no stage experience, never had any lessons, her voice is completely untrained, it's all intuition, no technique, so she makes mistakes, sometimes she doesn't hit the notes right. Half of the people despise her for not singing "properly", not dancing "properly", not behaving "properly".

Gosh! We could almost be sisters *:)* I'll have to check her out. :D
snaps
Crew Member

Postby kant1781 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:13 pm

snaps wrote:
kant1781 wrote:she is cute, pretty, smart, well-educated, and funny (and rather foul-mouthed, by the way). In a word, completely lovable.

Gosh! We could almost be sisters *:)*

I bet you could, snapsie. *:)* Do you sing? If so, I suggest you come to Germany, it seems there's heavy demand for your type! :D
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby fish » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:22 am

Lena is cute.
"Little sister" you say, eh Dave? :P

More than being cute though, she has stage presence and a voice, that while not perfect in pitch, has so much strength and power that she generates an infectious enthusiasm all around her. Hard not to be swept along like everyone in the clip.

Hope she makes it through to Eurovision and winds up making a career in music. I'd like to see more of her.

(In a big brotherly kind of way of course. :oops: :P ) *:)*
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:20 am

fish wrote:Lena is cute.
"Little sister" you say, eh Dave? :P

Yeah, we believe him, don't we fishy? :P :wink: :lol: :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:31 am

kant1781 wrote:Hej guys, I haven't been here so often as I planned in the last three weeks because I have sort of fallen in love... You wouldn't know, but our cosy little forum here has been the only one which I have ever frequented, until now. And I never expected to join another "fan" forum for anyone else ever again. But now I did, and I just thought I might share this new... obsession with those of you who are interested. :D

])

These strange little fan obsessions come from nowhere, don't they? When I was 16, I thought people who had obsessions with actresses were very sad people.

Then this person showed up on "Neighbours"...

.... Oh dear.

:lol: :T :P

And I didn't expect it to ever happen again after that.

Thank you very much Rebecka Liljeberg.

:roll: :lol:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:03 am

These little infatuations are such good fun.
If I didn't have them I might be forced to get a life out in the real world. :shock:

Naaaaaaaah!
Not gunna happen is it? :T *:)* :lol:

Thanks Rebecka, Alexandra, Piper, Nicole, Pascale, Rachael, Noomi, Sally, etc., etc. :roll: *:)* *:)*
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:24 am

The real world is hugely overrated. :wink:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby triddy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:10 pm

fish wrote:Hope she makes it through to Eurovision and winds up making a career in music. I'd like to see more of her.

Personally, I hope she manages to stay away from that awful TV-spectacle that makes me nervous and uneasy everytime I happen to get an unfortunate glimpse of it... Few good musical careers have started there, at least the ones who have competed for my little country. But she sure looks cute, and I wish her all well :D
triddy
Gold Member

Postby fish » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:04 am

triddy wrote:...Personally, I hope she manages to stay away from that awful TV-spectacle that makes me nervous and uneasy everytime I happen to get an unfortunate glimpse of it...

...But she sure looks cute, and I wish her all well :D

Unfortunately "that awful TV-spectacle" is about the only way we're ever likely to see her again down here in Australia where Eurovision shows up months after you've had the chance to forget all about the unease.

If Lena makes it through it might give me inspiration to actually watch the thing instead of ignoring it like I usually do.

So, good luck to Lena, break a leg. *:)*
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby bruno » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:27 pm

kant1781 wrote:... the Eurovision Song Contest - the Europeans will know what I'm talking about, for the others be it enough to say that it is an age-old, very strange sort of pop song competition which has in the last two decades degenerated into a trash fest in which, furthermore, the Germans usually finish last.

Well, it is a good thing to be last there.
I used to watch it on TV in my preteen years, learned fast to avoid it ! :)

The only half likable song to win in 50 years of Eurofestival (italian name for the thing) was (IMHO) Waterloo from ABBA (swedish band, by the way), remade in the 80's by Doctor and the Medics in a trash-chic fashion.
Italy won just two times, this is strange, because there's an awful lot of unashamed crap being continuously composed here.
bruno
Gold Member

Postby triddy » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:28 pm

bruno wrote:The only half likable song to win in 50 years of Eurofestival (italian name for the thing) was (IMHO) Waterloo from ABBA (swedish band, by the way)

Oh forgot about that little band:T ok, so ONE decent swedish career has come out of that TV-show... :P

Actually, I don't mind Eurovision as a concept, but the thing is that the Swedish competitions go on for months and months before the actual finale, and the media circus is just enough to make you dizzy.. :r
triddy
Gold Member

Postby bruno » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:42 pm

triddy wrote:Actually, I don't mind Eurovision as a concept, but the thing is that the Swedish competitions go on for months and months before the actual finale, and the media circus is just enough to make you dizzy.. :r

Italy retired from Eurovision years ago but probably just because it gave too much shadow to another shameful sh*t, the Festival di Sanremo
(see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanremo_festival )
bruno
Gold Member

Postby Ian » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:16 am

Dude, everyone knows ABBA!

*:)* *:)* :lol:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:47 am

If only we knew of a blonde and a brunette from Sweden, with some acting experience, then perhaps we could cast them in the remake of the ABBA movie.

*:)* *:)*

But where to find a couple of suitable guys to play the other roles?????
Adelaide has always been an artistic kind of place. Maybe there's someone suitable here.

:)P :)P
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Next

Return to Anything else