I need to get this out....

Discuss anything on your mind, with focus on films and music though.

Moderator: Ian

I need to get this out....

Postby Rebecka Fan » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:56 am

For the past, well, since I was 19 and my first time on my own, I've been a compulsive hoarder. I finally was able to come to terms with it and admit I had a problem and needed help. Alissa has been with me throughout all of this. Our new house, which is big has been filled with stuff. I can't keep track of it all. There's so much! I mean, it might look like less, compared to when it was in our smaller apartment, but it's there. My old apartment is still mine (techincally) and is filled with stuff also. There's a pathway from my front door to my kitchen. Like I said, our new house has been filled with stuff also. It's getting harder to live there and I don't want our children to be raised in a house like that. Our house is beautiful and should look as such. I'm working hard with a professional psychologist/organizer, but it's not easy. I wish it were easier for me. I wish I could just pick something up and say, "I don't need this anymore! I'll throw it out!", but it's not that simple.

I just felt the need to admit this to you all. Thank you for reading this. I may not be on for a little while as I get through this difficult time.
*Kyle*
I'm a Guy Directioner.
Rebecka Fan
Crew Member

Re: I need to get this out....

Postby Ian » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:01 am

Sorry to hear that Kyle. Good luck getting through it. :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby bruno » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:25 pm

uhmmm.... force yourself to have another person to throw away at least the most obviously useless crap, while you're at another place, say, at the movies :)
bruno
Gold Member

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:09 pm

Don't throw it away, give the stuff to some charity shop or something
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby Rebecka Fan » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:53 pm

bruno wrote:uhmmm.... force yourself to have another person to throw away at least the most obviously useless crap, while you're at another place, say, at the movies :)

Just the thought sends me into panic mode. Seriously.
*Kyle*
I'm a Guy Directioner.
Rebecka Fan
Crew Member

Postby bruno » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:53 am

Rebecka Fan wrote:Just the thought sends me into panic mode. Seriously.

I see, but if you can't do it yourself I think the only solution is "forcing" somehow a remedy on you. In small steps maybe. The day after maybe you'll feel better, having lived through this difficult moment.
bruno
Gold Member

Postby Rebecka Fan » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:25 am

Today the Psychologist and I went through my stuff (after talk about my reasons for hoarding) and I never felt so terrified in my life! She held up a piece of paper that had a note that I'd written 5 years ago, that to be honest, I don't need anymore. She asked me "how would it feel if this paper was thrown out?". I thought about it and as I did, she slowly placed the paper into the trash bag, well, almost getting it in, before I completely had a panic attack. Just over a piece of 5 year old paper. I knew I had to get through it. She asked me "on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being the most calm and 10 being panicked and terrified, give her a number of how it made me feel to have the paper thrown away". I told her it was a 9. Eventually I was able to throw it away and I came down to a 1. Now I won't be a 1 all the time, not for a long time. At least I'm showing progress, she said. It will be a difficult road for me, but I believe with help from the Pyschologist, family and friends by my side and place here and other great places online with nice people, I feel I can get through this.
*Kyle*
I'm a Guy Directioner.
Rebecka Fan
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:49 am

I believe the line between "collecting" and "hoarding" is a thinner one than most would probably like to admit. I reckon it's just an unfortunate extension of the "obsessive" quality that I imagine every fan (of anything) must have anyway.

Not that I'd know anything about that. Honest, guv'nor. :roll: :wink: :P
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Rebecka Fan » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:30 am

Today I got 12 boxes out of my house, which is great! Now I can work on my Hannah fan vid. For each box I get out, I can make a slideshow/fan vid (if like). 12 boxes out= 12 slideshows/fan vids. I don't have to make that many, but I can. Since I want to get as many boxes as I can out soon, I'll just focus on my Hannah fan vid, which I'm working hard on, because I want it to be awesome!!
*Kyle*
I'm a Guy Directioner.
Rebecka Fan
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:14 am

Good for you, Kyle. :D

I've had a big clear out of old taped-off-tv videos this week. I wanted to do it ages ago, but my mother kept saying "we could use them for scratch tapes". But there's bloody dozens! I finally snapped and threw 'em out. There's more to come, but the recycle bin is full for now lol. There's no point keepng them - I've got them all on dvd now, and if they went funny I'd just buy another dvd so there's zero point clinging onto row after row of old VHS tapes...It was becoming ridiculous!

I mean, there's some I won't throw (like my old childhood Who vids, solely for nostalgia's sake, and I wouldn't get rid of my Amelia Neighbours tapes even though I've transferred them to DVD (just in case), but aside from that... :W
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:12 pm

Ian wrote:...I wouldn't get rid of my Amelia Neighbours tapes even though I've transferred them to DVD (just in case), but aside from that... :W

C'mon Ian.
What kind of role model are you? :P :lol:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:49 am

Fish, because of emigrating (because the UK were a year behind Aus at that time) I missed 8/10th of her stuff back in the day. If you'd had to wait between 11-13 years just to SEE them, you would understand my paranoia/obsessiveness/weirdness/borderlinestalkercrackpotinsanerenooness when it comes to taking no chances with the copies I have! :wink: :P

That's it, though. Everything else is going!
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Rebecka Fan » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:21 am

Today I got 17 boxes out!! :D We'll see how many boxes I'll get out tomorrow.
*Kyle*
I'm a Guy Directioner.
Rebecka Fan
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:59 am

*:)* *:)* *:)*

Well done, Kyle!
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Rebecka Fan » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:01 am

We finally got the last boxes out of our house and have begin the cleaning process (vacuuming, washing the walls and the floors).
*Kyle*
I'm a Guy Directioner.
Rebecka Fan
Crew Member

Next

Return to Anything else