The Books Thread

Discuss anything on your mind, with focus on films and music though.

Moderator: Ian

Re: The Books Thread

Postby fish » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:18 am

Looks like I'll have to brush up on my reading skills again, these sound good.

Salivating at the thought of Bex on the loose with a power tool too. :)P :roll: :lol:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:50 am

Sounds interesting, snapsie. That zombie one rather put me off his.
Ian
Webmaster

Postby DMt. » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:40 pm

The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak.

Heard about this one for a long time before getting loaned it. A girl's story of life in Germany during WW2, narrated by Death. Not exactly a barrel of laughs, of course, but well handled and unhistrionic [is that a word? I mean 'not overwrought'].
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby DMt. » Thu May 17, 2012 1:15 pm

William Gibson's cyberpunk oeuvre, in Spook Country, transfers effortlessly to a paranoid, post-9/11 America of 2006; the time has caught up with him, perhaps. Very good stuff.

Also enjoying CJ Sansom's 'Shardlake' historical novels, the hunchbacked Tudor lawyer is a very engaging character and the writing has a measured, plain quality, which still conveys everything imagination needs to place you there.
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Thu May 24, 2012 11:27 am

Started Little Star today. Very good so far.

Tell you what, though, I wasn't expecting a Neighbours reference in it! :shock: :lol:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Sat May 26, 2012 11:12 am

Just over halfway through Litle Star. Its excellent.

Who knew Snapsie had such good taste? :wink:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby DMt. » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:31 pm

Must...must...gahh
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:29 pm

Ian wrote:Just over halfway through Litle Star. Its excellent.
Who knew Snapsie had such good taste? :wink:

but of course O-) I did some fanfic on the novel, before I got booted off the wti site. :evil: Dave ''varamiglites'' fanfic was brilliant till he was obliged to censor really bad words like ''Hell' :shock: :oops: and took it down.

I think it was my suggestion that in a film version YOHIO should play the part of ''Theres'' as he has the odd sci-fi, other-worldly look of Theres, that finally pushed the closet homophobes over the edge. I don't see why not :twisted: Lina Leandersson very successfully played Eli in LTROI who is a boy, and she is a girl. *:)*

snaps
Crew Member

Postby fish » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:23 am

Ok, they're not books but I didn't know where else to post this.
(Ian, Snaps, feel free to move it if there's anywhere you think is more appropriate.)
Neither are they new, (especially the first one), but for anyone who hasn't read them before they're both excellent.

The first is "What's it all about", written by David Christian in the years leading up to its on-line posting in 2005.
It's a PDF file 32 pages long and to quote David, "What I would like to do is ask a rather simple question: Why?
Why do people fall in love with this film?
What is so special about it?
In what follows, I will try to develop an answer to this question."

http://fraks.sibverk.ru/svenska/FA/What_Its_All_About.pdf

I re-read it the other day and fell in love with Agnes and Elin all over again.
(Not that i was ever out of..... Oh, you know what I mean. :oops: )

The other one is the 25 page PDF fan fiction titled "I can't help laughing" by Dave Mount.
Great stuff Dave, I thought I'd try to sneak it a bit closer to here while you weren't watching. :roll: :P

In the nature of "what happens after the O'boy."
http://oebfa.com/download/articles/fa_fanfiction_dm.pdf
A great read.

I know most members will have read them both, but maybe not for some time, and I know we have quite a few visitors who perhaps haven't read them at all. It'd be nice to think the words of the two Davids will inspire a few of our visitors to become members, and all the rest to watch Fucking Åmål again.
Did the trick for me. *:)* *:)*
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:05 am

I don't mind it here, fishy, but it might get more attention on the main Fucking Amal page if you want to re-post it there. ;)
Ian
Webmaster

Postby snaps » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:18 pm

I don't think it matters if fishy's thread is replicated in the FA board and the Fanfic board. I must confess to having being lax of late, in these matters. On account of my time-consuming promo work for Seremedy and the UK fansite. Only a month away, and I'm so excited, anyone would think I'd written the music :D :D My own dabbling in Photoshop produced this: :roll:

snaps
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:13 am

I continue to be astonished by the quality and depth of some of the Harry Potter fan-fic out there. Currently reading this truly epic - something like 500,000+ words - dark Harry/Hermione story called "Forever Knight". Early on Hermione is killed by and returns as, a vampire. It's really dark, really well written, and really heartbreaking. There are some extraordinary writers out there you just know are never going to get mainstream exposure even though they probably deserve it more than some of those that do.
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:49 am

The Show Me Love book is rather lovely, by the way. A really nice little tribute to a classic movie close to all of our hearts. :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby DMt. » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:48 pm

So I just read Smiley's People...always kind of turned my nose up at le Carré, but as so often with that attitude, doing so was wildly off the mark. It was excellent.

I shall now continue the fine old DMt. tradition of reading trilogies backwards :roll:
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby DMt. » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:07 am

Little Star OMFG Nooooooooooo!!!! and I haven't even finished it yet [had to put it down for a bit]. :shock:
DMt.
Crew Member

PreviousNext

Return to Anything else