The Books Thread

Discuss anything on your mind, with focus on films and music though.

Moderator: Ian

Re: The Books Thread

Postby Ian » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:21 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Exhibit A) that Ian is spending way too much time on Harry Potter fanfiction sites. :roll: :T :lol:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:43 am

Ripley's Believe It Or Not! 2010. Some very funny, weird stuff. I particularly like the teenage girl who found a cornflake resembling the state of Illinois in her breakfast cereal... and sold it on eBay for over $1000! :shock: :lol:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:06 am

It isn't that she sold it that's weird, it's that there was some fool out there willing to buy it. :shock: :T *:|* :lol:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:57 am

Apparently he came to pick it up in person, because the last cornflake he bought got crushed in the post.

You couldn't make this stuff up. :lol:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:16 am

D'oh. Image

:roll: :T :lol:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:52 am

Now reading Science Was Wrong by Stanton Friedman and Kathleen Marden. A fascinating look at the stupidity of so-called very clever scientific types, who all declared impossible things like air flight, space travel, television, the internet etc. The arrogance of some is quite breathtaking, and little seems to have changed nowadays in some areas.
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:59 am

Reading The Strain by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan. The entire crew and passengers of an airliner are somehow all killed between descent and arriving on the runway at a New York airport. Biological warfare is suspected, but then the bodies of all the dead disappear from the morgues... and their relatives begin getting late night visits as a vampiric plague begins to descend on the unsuspecting city. This is a cracking good horror thriller, really enjoying it so far. :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:47 am

Don't mention it to Kso or he'll post heaps more "Bex the vampire" pics. :shock: :P :lol:

(Hint, hint. ) *:)* :)P :lol:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:19 am

Ordered the 4th and 5th Harry Potter books off ebay. Not sure about 6 and 7, to be honest; didn't like them much first time and I know a lot of fans REALLY dislike them. The films were better (especially the 2-movie adaptation of the last one).
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:30 am

You can't fool me.
You just wanted to lust over Emma again. :)P :P :lol:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:25 am

I cannot tell a lie. :P

Currently reading Dust and Shadow by Lyndsey Faye. It's a Sherlock Holmes Jack the Ripper novel, and very well done, very cleverly mixing the historical facts with the Holmes verse. The Ripper is currently sending his mocking little notes to Holmes as well as to the press! :lol:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:24 am

The Blood Countess by Tara Moss. A young woman moves from her suffocating small town to live with her Great Aunt in New York... a somewhat unnaturally young Great Aunt, who lives in a very strange apartment building in a very strange, mist-shrouded subrub that doesn't appear on maps... always a bad sign! :lol: Very enjoyable paranormal fantasy thriller. I may have to check out more of Moss' work, I liked this. :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:59 am

Been reading the Dexter books, on which the tv show was based. They're very good, very well written, frequently hilarious and often very similar yet wildly different to the show. I like 'em. :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby snaps » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:44 pm

''LITTLE STAR'' by John Ajvide Lindqvist.

Finished reading on Monday. Not often I describe a book as''unputdownable'' but this was. Where the true horror is not in graphic detail, but the horror of self-discovery that your mind is filling in the details. Horror, not that you can identify with the lead characters Theres and Teresa, but horror that you envy them their willpower to carry out their mission. A novel for girls to acknowledge their darkside, and for boys to wet their pants. The pic of the Hitachi auto-drill is relevant. To find out more, read the story. It ain't used for D.I.Y. to make Home Sweet Home. That's fersure. The perfect weapon to carry in your shoulderbag.

His fourth novel sees him back on form closer to ''Let The Right One In''. Will be difficult to put all of it into a film as it is longitudinal, and weighs in at over 500 pages. I certainly imagined it as a film, with the (juvenile) Bex and Lex in the lead roles. Theres is meant to be an angelic blonde masking a foundling sociopath, but I'm sure Bex eyes and maniacal thousand-yard stare would have more than compensated. Lex as Teresa, a figure creating havoc on the internet and disintegrating from a girl with attitude into an avenging angel from Hell. The unspoken love and bonding between them creating a deadly synchronicity and emotional chemistry as other girls get swept into the vortex of their machinations.

Read, but be prepared to sign up for counselling afterwards. Meheheheh :twisted:
snaps
Crew Member

Postby DMt. » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:40 pm

Jake Arnott seems now to have written a trilogy of London-based crime novels. In typical .tMD fashion I've now read the first one, the Long Firm, and the last, truecrime, but have still to read He Kills Coppers. They're very good, he really knows his stuff around the gay/gangster/media worlds [and their various overlaps].
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
DMt.
Crew Member

PreviousNext

Return to Anything else