The Books Thread

Discuss anything on your mind, with focus on films and music though.

Moderator: Ian

Re: The Books Thread

Postby DMt. » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:47 pm

Miss Ann Thropic is a natural storyteller, I reckon. I'm at Chapter 28 already.
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby fish » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:15 am

Chapter 28 already? :shock:

I'm still trying to remember where I hid my dictionary. :oops: :P :lol:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:39 am

It's a fantastic story, certainly one of the very best I've found since I started reading fan-fic a couple of years ago. :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:20 am

Currently reading Doctor Who - Nightshade. The first book (and dip into Whodom) by future scriptwriter Mark Gatiss, this 1992 novel (only the 8th original Who book ever published) is a cracking StephenKingesque horror tale that remains a firm favourite. A sleepy English village in 1969 finds itself isolated and under attack from an amorphous alien menace that takes on the image of memories from its victims' subconscious - dead loved ones and old nightmares (and in one rather sacrilgeous scene, a notable religious icon!). A real 60s ambience and a strong cast of characters (including Edmund Trevithick, an elderly actor best known for his Quatermassesque role as "Professor Nightshade", who finds the monsters from his 50s sci-fi show coming back to get him!) coupled with real horror make this a classic. I still don't know why they haven't done a 2part TV adaptation like they did with Human Nature (and cast Tom Baker as Trevithick lol!).
I still reckon its the best thing Gatiss has ever written. :wink:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:57 am

Ian wrote:...under attack from an amorphous alien menace that takes on the image of memories from its victims' subconscious...

Love it.
That sounds like something that really should be made into a TV special.

Do you have any background as to why it hasn't been done yet?
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:02 am

No, I've no idea, especially given that they have Gatiss writing for them as it is! :( :T
Ian
Webmaster

Postby DMt. » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:59 pm

I don't usually have much time for crime fiction/police procedurals, but in the right hands, like those of Icelandic writer Arnaldur Indridason, it's as good a form as any other. I'm reading everything of his I can find. Titles I know about are;

The Draining Lake

Jar City

Arctic Chill

Silence of the Grave

Voices

Hypothermia

There's a very strong seam of Nordic melancholy in the writing, but it's balanced by a dry humour and a deep, if utterly unsentimental, compassion for human suffering. I was reading The Draining Lake on a bus ride and listening to Sigur Ros [yes, an Icelandic double-whammy 8) ] and I had to stop reading before I started crying on the bus, it was overwhelming.
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby DMt. » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:38 pm

...and that sort of thing doesn't happen very often, because I'm well 'ard, me.

No, really.
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby fish » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:49 am

DMt. wrote:... because I'm well 'ard, me...

Never known a bathroom scale to get that lippy before. :roll: :P :lol:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby DMt. » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:31 pm

We innocent-looking-but-deeply-sinister bathroom scales are tired of being trampled underfoot.

Rise up, my brothers and sisters! Free yourselves from the crushing heel of the human oppressors!
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby fish » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:17 am

Look at what you've started now, Ian . :shock: :P :lol:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:41 am

Uh uh, I take no responsibility for your lot's conversations. :roll: :P
Ian
Webmaster

Postby snaps » Mon May 13, 2013 7:47 pm

DMt. wrote:I don't usually have much time for crime fiction/police procedurals, but in the right hands, like those of Icelandic writer Arnaldur Indridason, it's as good a form as any other. I'm reading everything of his I can find. Titles I know about are;

The Draining Lake

Jar City

Arctic Chill

Silence of the Grave

Voices

Idk if you have caught the film 'Jar City' Very very good. Just interested in your opinion. It is very gory. Most everyone I know though reckons the most horrendous bit is when ... (a pity we can';t cover for spoilers like LTROI Forum :/ ) is when he grabs a drive-in take-away, which turns out to be a boiled sheeps-head :r :r which he picks apart and chomps on the grey meat :shock: :( :r :r :r

Hypothermia

There's a very strong seam of Nordic melancholy in the writing, but it's balanced by a dry humour and a deep, if utterly unsentimental, compassion for human suffering. I was reading The Draining Lake on a bus ride and listening to Sigur Ros [yes, an Icelandic double-whammy 8) ] and I had to stop reading before I started crying on the bus, it was overwhelming.
snaps
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:19 am

Currently re-reading the 500,000+ word Forever Knight. It may well be the greatest Harry Potter story of them all. I don't know if I can make through the next two chapters without blubbing. :( *:|* :lol: :P
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:14 am

Read the amazing novel-length Harry Potter fan-fic Forever Knight for the second time. Best fanfiction, best Potter period, and one of the best fantasy stories I've ever read. A masterpiece. Only wish there was some universe in which we could have seen this made into a movie (or two).
Ian
Webmaster

PreviousNext

Return to Anything else