I can't help laughing, because...

Discuss anything on your mind, with focus on films and music though.

Moderator: Ian

I can't help laughing, because...

Postby DMt. » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:04 pm

[Elin's babbling about chocolate milk...it's so sweet...she always seems so confident and fuck-you, but right now she's just trying to fill up the space...I think she knows I'm not laughing at her, it's this situation, sitting here drinking chocolate milk in her and Jessica's bedroom...I want to kiss her again, to hold her, but I mustn't; she's trying to be brave, but she's nervous, shy...she's embarrassed. You can't blame her, we just told the whole school...it was great...I'm so happy...she does like me, she really does, nobody would do that if they didn't...I hope they don't all turn on her, now...]

Oh God I'm talking such crap! She's laughing! But it's not a nasty laugh, she understands, she's so lovely, so nice, not like those shitheads I hang around with, bunch of piranhas, I thought Camilla was going to faint, the look on her face, on all their faces, priceless! who cares what they think anyway, I told her the truth for once, I do love her, she's beautiful, so beautiful and...calm...it must be nice to be so calm, she writes poetry, I saw some on her computer, it was sweet, was it about me? She listens to classical music but she's got Velvet Underground and cool weird shit like that too, shut up Elin, shut up shut up and let her speak, I can't, I'm so nervous, what am I afraid of? She's only a bit older than me, two years isn't so much -

"Elin..."

"...and then Mum gets mad, 'cos we're always - what?"

"This must be strange for you, yes?"

"Yes...yes, it is, but I don't care, it's a good strange. We showed them, didn't we? We - "

"We certainly did. I just...I hope you don't get a hard time about it, that's all."

"They can try, if they want. I can give as good as I get."

"Well...that's good, I suppose...but, you know, don't make it any worse than you have to, OK?"

"How do you mean?"

"At my last school, when they found out I wasn't going to be chasing after boys, it got pretty nasty. People can be...unkind. I was glad when we moved here. At first."

"How long have you been here, now?"

"Eighteen months. I was beginning to think no-one would ever like me, it got to me a bit."

"I really like you. I'm sorry I was such a b-"

[I put my finger on her mouth; her eyes are big. I can't look into them yet, I talk to her mouth. Bright red lipstick.]

"I don't want you to be sorry. I really like you too, Elin, I have ever since I saw you."

My heart's going to burst I love her so much! surely she can feel me shaking, no, she's taken her finger away, now she's looking down into the glass, there's a little smile at the corners of her mouth, anyone would kill for a mouth like that, she's not even wearing any makeup, girls like her don't need it. Slow DOWN! Breathe! Idiot!

"Well, actually I don't like you."

"What...?"

"No I don't like you, Agnes, I don't just like you, I love you...I love you."

[I think it and say it at the same time, in disbelief...]

"Are you really trying to kill me?"

[...she tosses her glass aside, I don't even have time to put mine down, and then she is kissing me, clumsily, but like sweet chocolate fire.]

Last edited by DMt. on Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:40 pm, edited 10 times in total.
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
DMt.
Crew Member

Re: ...I can't help laughing, because...

Postby snaps » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:54 pm

Oh Dave!! *:)* I think you have breached the glass ceiling.

This really should be up with the Fanfictions. *:)*

(Ima not saying mine are great, but others I've read are pretty much up on a level with some of the LTROI fanfic I've read) :T :r

I don't even know if you aware, but since FA/SML, inviting a (usually female) friend home for ''chocolate milkshake'' is a coded way of saying ''I fancy you'' without giving rise to offence.

If nothing else, FA/SML provided a simply understood way of saying 'I have a crush on you' without hassle. You could say ''I wouldn't say no to a coffee'' a polite way of saying, yeh I'd like drink, but that's where it ends, or saying ''do you have Moca?'' an indication of bi-curiousity.

How many other films have helped people through such simple linguistic device? :lol:
snaps
Crew Member

Postby DMt. » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:24 pm

snaps wrote:Oh Dave!! *:)* I think you have breached the glass ceiling.

I hoped you'd like it, snaps. Means I got it about right.

snapsie wrote:This really should be up with the Fanfictions. *:)*

All in good time...I'm hoping for some more, not sure yet. Still trembling after that one!

synapsie wrote:(Ima not saying mine are great,

Where are yours? I can't find them. The odd snippet I've seen has been pretty damn good, don't be daft.

synapse wrote:but others I've read are pretty much up on a level with some of the LTROI fanfic I've read) :T :r

Lots of the 'We, the Infected' FF is really good...Lombano, ACL...you mean the fanfiction.net LTROI stuff, I imagine?

snapsie wrote:I don't even know if you aware, but since FA/SML, inviting a (usually female) friend home for ''chocolate milkshake'' is a coded way of saying ''I fancy you'' without giving rise to offence.

If nothing else, FA/SML provided a simply understood way of saying 'I have a crush on you' without hassle. You could say ''I wouldn't say no to a coffee'' a polite way of saying, yeh I'd like drink, but that's where it ends, or saying ''do you have Moca?'' an indication of bi-curiousity.

How many other films have helped people through such simple linguistic device? :lol:

Aww...sweet...no, I didn't know about it, but what a pity no-one is likely to invite a crusty old git like me for a 'chocolate milkshake'. :roll: Who made up the coffee/Mocha extensions, I wonder? Maybe they just growed.
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby DMt. » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:30 pm

Both girls jump, as Jessica bangs the front door coming in. Agnes hastily begins to wipe her mouth, but Elin stops her; she takes her hand, squeezing it, and shakes her head slowly. They both look up, to see Jessica standing at the bedroom door.

"Hey", they chorus, as Jessica surveys them both, with raised eyebrows and a sardonic grin. "I hope I'm not interrupting?", she teases, "You two have really started something, you know, everyone is -"

"Everyone is wishing they were us", says Elin firmly, "and as a matter of fact, yes, you are. Interrupting."

"It's OK", says Agnes, "maybe I should go. It's Jessica's room, too." They are still holding hands, sitting on Elin's bed, and as they become aware that Elin's sister is looking at them amusedly, but not unkindly, she says,

"Ahh, don't worry about it. I'm supposed to be getting dinner ready today, anyway. Do you want to stay and eat, Agnes?"

"I'd like that", says Agnes gratefully, "but I'm expected home, I haven't told them I'm here -"

"I don't think you need to tell them anything", teases Jessica again, "it's probably all being trumpeted through the street right now, by that little snot Camilla and her satellites."

" - and, umm, I'm a vegetarian, anyway", says Agnes.

Jessica is about to say, That's not what I heard, but decides against it. The girl is nice, there is a sort of natural dignity about her, even with Elin's lipstick on her mouth and an empty glass of chocolate milkshake in her free hand.

"Well, that's fine by me", she says instead, "more meat for me and Elin. But I could still fix you something...?"

Agnes looks doubtfully at Elin, who nods vigorously and says, "Oh, go on; you can ring home, if they're going to worry about you", and takes her glass, passing it to Jessica, so she can hold Agnes' other hand as well.

Jessica also picks up Elin's glass from the floor, and then looks questioningly at Agnes, who smiles at last.

"I'd love that", she says.

Last edited by DMt. on Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:53 pm, edited 5 times in total.
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby katka » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:00 am

nice well ... :lol:
nice quite natural idea of ​​how it immediately after the end could it continue. Who knows if they would continue talking, I think that yeah, but then there would be furious burst Jessica : D :lol: :T
katka
Crew Member

Postby katka » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:01 am

snaps wrote:I don't even know if you aware, but since FA/SML, inviting a (usually female) friend home for ''chocolate milkshake'' is a coded way of saying ''I fancy you'' without giving rise to offence.

damn.... :T it like now when I invite a friend (girl) to myself to visit and give her ,,kakao'', so it is as I fear that it will actually like it symbolically say that I like her ? And I will be appalled if by chance she saw the FA or not ... :-D
katka
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:17 am

I do like this. it is very challenging.

I don't have immediate reference point for this but should be read alongside the fanfic ''After the O'Boy'' which pre-supposes a homophobic attack on Agnes, led by Camilla and her friends.

Placement of time/place context in a one-horse town in rural Sweden in 1998, etc.

Personally I always had Camilla marked down as 'Dyke in denial', not least of which she, herself is an outsider, as an ethnic Finn. Desperate to 'fit in'.

I think she has confused sexual motives to both Elin and Agnes. She is an 'Elinista' and is traumatised by Elin's affection for Agnes. Complex sexual politics. Grrrrr.

I absolutely hated Jessica, on first viewing of the film, but gradually grew to like her and respect her position with repeated viewings.

She is the embodiment of Mama Birgitta's take on life.

That would subsume her involvement with Markus, about whom she already has doubts.

A fear of becoming what Elin articulates to Agnes, ''the house, the car, the children .... until he runs off with someone younger and prettier than you.''

Precisely the fate that has befallen Mama Birgitta.

I really do love Jessica, and appreciate her stupid concerns.
snaps
Crew Member

Postby DMt. » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:34 am

You're making me happy, snappie.

This Jessica has already dumped Markus for Johan [taking my cue from the movie] and is only waiting for the right moment to tell Elin. Perhaps that's why she's so happy to have Agnes around for dinner? :twisted:

I got to really like her myself, after hating her at first for being so, well, callous about Agnes' disastrous 'party' and her orientation, and maybe a bit thick-&-straight, too. But she loves her fiery little sister, it's really obvious, and I think she would stand by her in this.

I must find this O'Boy thing before I continue, yes. I wasn't actually considering a violent attack by the Piranha Sisters, but...

Camilla as uneasy 'outsider'/repressed dyke fits very well, yes. Hmmm. Not looking forward to inhabiting her head!
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:42 am

katka wrote:
damn.... :T it like now when I invite a friend (girl) to myself to visit and give her ,,kakao'', so it is as I fear that it will actually like it symbolically say that I like her ? And I will be appalled if by chance she saw the FA or not ... :-D

At Katka :lol: maybe doesn't mean the same thing in Czech Republik?

There are two important Swedish concepts underpinning FA.

The first is so-called ''Jante Law'' that of not, despite it's liberal outward face, of being perceived as ''being different'', ''standing out from the crowd'' That is Jessica's concern.

The second is that of ''Lagom''' meaning ''just enough, tolerable, satisfied.'' Both Elin and Agnes are confrontational to this so-called ''norm''

Jessica can, maybe , accept offence against the first. Offence against the latter is intolerable to her and everyone else.

To be able to appreciate FA/SML to the max, it is important to have a grip on these two Swedish cultural principles.
snaps
Crew Member

Postby katka » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:21 am

yes of course I made a joke because I moving community which is liberal and which know this chamber's or club's films ( high films or art films - they interesting about it ) that I mean they can know FA. But only this community ( artists ) because FA isn't very known in our country I think. Maybe can know it selected community non-stupid people who are interested in a movie world or a Scandinavian cinema and I think today many young people do not care. However in Czechia is this theme so ''open''. Especially in Prag :wink: But you have true...still is probably difference when I give someone chocolate milk in our country and in Sweden :lol:
katka
Crew Member

Re: I can't help laughing, because...

Postby DMt. » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:22 am

Don't practically all cultures have [implicit or explicit] equivalents to these, uh, 'norms', snaps?
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:52 am

DMt. wrote:Don't practically all cultures have [implicit or explicit] equivalents to these, uh, 'norms', snaps?

Mmmm not quite in the same way. Australians (as Ima sure fish and Ian will confirm) have the ''tall-poppy syndrome'' which is akin.

It has a lot to do with why will never have official endorsement of this site from Bex and Lex. Ima absolutley convinced they do read stuff on here, from time to time, and prolly laugh along side us. But what is private, contained within the close family as a joke, will never EVER see the light of day, as official endorsement.

This is a very closely knit society, which is very tolerant in many respects but would, for example, regard it as irredeemably rude for you not to remove your shoes on visiting their househeholds. :lol:

katka wrote: But you have true...still is probably difference when I give someone chocolate milk in our country and in Sweden :lol:

Time to start a new trend in Czech Republic, Katka. :D

''Chocolate milk? so what the heck did you think I meant? Obvious isnt it?' Do I have to spell it out for you? :wink: Chocolate milk? read between the lines. CHOCOLATE MILK. Mmmmm. how do you like yours? :) :wink: '
snaps
Crew Member

Postby katka » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:58 am

yeah! The next week when I will everything prepare, undergo the experiment with ''cacao''. I will prepare its for my nearest and see how they will look at it, eventually I will tell them about FA. Yes for us is kakajíčko :-D *:)* ( diminutive ) :wink:
katka
Crew Member

Postby DMt. » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:16 am

"Mama, it's me, I won't be home for dinner."

"I'm at Elin's, they've invited me to eat here."

"Elin, she and her sister came over, on my birthday, remember?"

"I won't be back too late, no. Don't worry so much. It's not far away."

"Yes, Mama, we can talk soon. I feel better than I have for a long time. I want you to be glad for me."

"If you insist...I'll call when I'm coming home, and Papa can come and get me. OK, bye..."

It's OK, then? Does her Mama know about...about us? I thought Jessica would go crazy at me, but she's being so nice! Does Agnes make everyone like this? How does she do it? She looks so happy. She's even more beautiful than before.

"What are you thinking?", Agnes says, smiling at her as she puts the phone down, and takes both her hands again.

"I thought Jessica would go nuts."

"I was a bit worried, too."

"You're so beautiful I feel like I'm dreaming you."

"So are you. So do I."

"I did dream you once."

"Really? What happened?"

"I was at school, with the other girls, just talking crap, and I saw you come in, I was like, uh-ohh, now I'm in trouble, but you just...you just smiled at me, and came right to the table, in front of them all, and you stroked my hair, put it behind my ear, and you laid your head on mine...everything went away except us...then Jessica woke me up."

"That sounds nice."

"All except the getting-woken-up part. Did you ever dream me?"

"I don't think so. But I thought about you every day for months, so I'm not really surprised you dreamed me."

[Our hands are getting all damp and hot...I'll make a cave of them, and blow into it, like this... phhhhhhhhhh... phhhhhhhhhh...all of our fingers entwined. That's better...oh, Elin's eyes are closed, like she's asleep...she looks about six...so sweet.]

I'm going to die of happiness, I can't believe she loves me. Her breath in our hands. I wish we could be alone, somewhere, but where? Where can we go? I don't care, things will work out, we're here now, that's what matters...uhhh! The phone! Who the hell is that! Why am I so scared!

"Jessica!"

"What?"

"Will you get that? I don't want to speak to anyone."

"I'm cooking!"

"Please?"

"Jesus, Elin!"

Last edited by DMt. on Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby fish » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:01 am

I do so like that Dave. Image

And I'm enjoying just reading your exchanges with Snaps and Katka. :D
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Next

Return to Anything else