THE BOY WITH THE THORN IN HIS SIDE

Discuss anything on your mind, with focus on films and music though.

Moderator: Ian

THE BOY WITH THE THORN IN HIS SIDE

Postby snaps » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:14 pm

[Eli and Oskar, associated characters, and their backstory prior to 1982 are the intellectual property of John Ajvide Lindqvist. The concept of the ‘Valkyrja’, Skylar Moon, Max Blumenthal, Sandra Birger, and associated characters, the storyline and dialogue of ‘THE BOY WITH THE THORN IN HIS SIDE’, are © Copyright to the credited Author.]

[The Illustrations used to portray Skylar Moon are of Luke Worrall, modelling for Antony Morato, photographed by Joseph Cardo.]

The year is 2004, a turbulent time in Sweden’s history. The ‘Valkyja’, a neo-Nazi sect of teenage vampires have lain dormant in Sweden since 1944. Now they are being released from the nest. Their mission, to perpetrate acts of terrorism. One of their number, a 17-year old renegade called Skylar Moon, has defected and joined SAPO, the Swedish Security Service. His mission as a Special Agent, to seek out and eliminate vampire influence. His goal, however, is pure personal gratification, for Skylar is a chancer, a rogue and psychological misfit. Truly, the boy with the thorn in his side.

Eli and Oskar, vampire 12 year-olds have been in hibernation since 1982, a year after they were implicated in a series of gruesome murders. Awakened by a sense of impending threat, they become aware that they are being tracked down again. This time the odds are not against humans, but a highly trained, deadly-skilled vampire commando. The only one who could help them survive is one and the same. The ‘Valkyrja’ called Skylar Moon, who lives by the motto of ‘Divide and Rule’. The action takes place on a single day, October 31st, but who can trust whom? and who will survive this Hallowe’en day, and at what cost?

‘ ..... And when you want to Live, How do you start? Where do you go? Who do you need to know?’

Morrissey: lyrics from ‘The Boy With The Thorn In His Side’

CONTENTS

Part 1: The Awakening Of Vampires
Part 2: The Blackeberg Affair
Part 3: The Being Of Someone Else
Part 4: The Revisitation Of Evidence
Part 5: The Exploration Of Surroundings
Part 6: The Skylar Moon File
Part 7: The Valkyrja Dead
Part 8: The Entry Of Skylar Moon
Part 9: The Outside World Beckons
Part 10: The Dawn Of The Valkyrja
Part 11: The Good News And The Bad
Part 12: The Valkyrja Tunnel-Bana Mission
Part 13: The Last Sighting
Part 14: The Venturing Outside
Part 15: The Flowing Streams Meet
Part 16: The Lockdown Is Engaged
Part 17: The Vampire Hunt Is On
Part 18: The Stalking Begins
Part 19: The Eyes Of A Predator
Part 20: The Surrender And Submission
Part 21: The Prisoner's Dilemma
Part 22: The Showdown
Part 23: The Headshrinker
Part 24: The Endgame

PART 1

Sunday, October 31st, 2004

‘Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp?’

Oskar felt the tips of Eli’s fingers run up his back. He flinched at the strange tickling sensation. Still half-asleep he rolled over to face Eli. For a moment neither of them spoke, but gazed into each other’s eyes.

‘Someone needs to get their nails clipped’, Oskar suggested. Eli nodded in agreement.

‘I’m still tired. I want to go back to sleep.’ Oskar yawned.

Eli shook his head. ‘Oskar, we should get moving. I’ve let you have a lay-in because you’re such a baby vampire, but really we should get up.’

‘Why? What time is it?’

‘Do you mean what year is it?’

‘Don’t be silly, its still the same year we went to bed surely.’

‘It’s about 2pm.

’Wow, that is a long sleep-in!’

Eli said calmly. ‘The year is 2004.’

This took a while to register with Oskar. He blinked his eyes, scratched his head. ‘You mean we’ve been asleep for over twenty years!?’

‘Hibernating, Oskar. That’s what vampires do. Sleeping is what babies do.’ Eli dug his fingertips into Oskar’s ribs and he writhed and giggled begging for mercy.

Eli desisted, then grinned. ‘You’ve still got your puppy fat. And by the way, grown-up vampires never beg for mercy.’

‘I’m still a kid though.I mean I don’t feel like a thirty-something year-old.’

‘Yes, you’re still a kid at heart. But we have grown up things to do.’

What day is it?

Eli almost despaired of Oskar’s questioning. Its Sunday, October 31st’.

‘Yay! Hallowe’en. Are we going to a party? The excitement went to Oskar’s head. He faced Eli and pulled a silly face making vampire fangs with his fingers. Eli didn’t seem impressed. Then Oskar remembered that he was a vampire. He looked confused.

‘Today is a good day to break out. We’ll look less conspicuous.

‘Where are we? It’s cosy in here. Can’t we stay in and play games?’ Oskar interrupted. He felt around him. They appeared to be curled up in a large plastic storage unit. The type that has small trolley wheels.

‘No, we have to move. At the moment we are in a refrigeration unit. It’s been a good place to rest up, but we got disturbed last week. Some people came in looking for something.

‘Who was it? What were they looking for.’

‘I don’t know, but I suspect they may be back searching.’

Oskar looked deep into Eli’s eyes and sensed anxiety. He had felt the slight tremor in Eli’s voice on his frosted breath. Suddenly he felt this wasn’t a game any more.

‘Eli, be me for a little.’
snaps
Crew Member

Re: THE BOY WITH THE THORN IN HIS SIDE

Postby snaps » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:16 pm

PART 2

[Sorry E&O aren't in this section, but I'm more influenced by the Nordic noir/ Scandi-crime fiction genre rather than horror-fic. But they will be in the next section which I may post later tonite if I get the chance. Thanks for all your comments. I'm just workshopping this here, so feel free if you have any constructive crits (apart from attacking my punctuation which yeh, yeh I know is cr*p :lol:) Hope to read and comment on more fanfic on this site as I go along, but sadly, earning a living gets in the way. :evil: ]

Superintendent Max Blumenthal paced impatiently up and down the length of his office at Säkerhetspolisen HQ, SÄPO, the State Security Service in Stockholm. Here he was, an overweight, overstressed policeman on a Sunday, with nothing better to do than pursue his addiction of being a workaholic. He gazed out of the window onto Polhemsgatan. The sky already darkened was made even gloomier by the churning clouds. He was expecting visitors. Hopefully together they might provide the breakthrough he longed for.

A sharp rap at the door disturbed his thoughts. Enthusiatically, he threw open the door to greet former Inspector Sandra Birger. Sandra was a smartly-dressed woman in her mid-fities. She looked pleased to see her old protégé. Blumenthal bustled about setting up coffee and cakes, as Sandra settled into an armchair. She was already anticipating the purpose of this meeting.

‘So, Sandra, how is early retirement suiting you? We don’t see you at the Social club much these days.

Sandra sighed ‘Ah! early retirement.’ She looked up at Max as he settled his formidable frame into an armchair. ‘I’ve plenty to keep me occupied.’

A short pause ensued as they helped themselves to fika.

Sandra looked pensive. ‘To be perfectly honest, I’m bored with life at home. I don’t miss the stress of the job, nor the grinding hours, but I do miss the hunt, the thrill of the chase.’

Max started to say ‘Well funny you should mention that but …..’

Sandra laughed and interrupted, ‘Max you didn’t invite me here just for a chat. You’ve got a job for me haven’t you?’

‘Well, let me put it this way. I do have a job. It’s a one-off. A cold case. You’d be back on service. ’

‘But you must have plenty of fit young staff to do your bidding. Why me?’

’Because you’re the best in the field.’

‘Max, you’re flattering me.’

‘Okej. The other reason is that you were the Case Officer in charge of the original investigation.’

Sandra looked curious. ‘Which one is it?’

Max produced a file from the side of his armchair. ’81/224. The one that eventually got called “The Blackeberg Affair”, you can’t forget that one can you?’

Sandra looked crestfallen. ‘Please, God. Not THAT one!’

Max nodded. ‘You do remember then?’

‘I can’t ever forget it. Nor can you I guess, you were my Case Assistant.’

Max cradled the case file in his arms like a baby. ‘This one nearly finished off both of us. The Stockholm police made a total hash of the original investigation. The Rikskriminalpolisen messed up. Then passed it onto us like a hot potato. Do you remember the Final Report? ’

‘Seared into my memory. I nearly resigned over it. You got a good kicking over it. Of course I didn’t really write the final version, I just wrote what I was instructed to write.’

‘Which was?’

‘Absolute bull!’

‘What are you’re feelings about it now?’

‘The same. They were murders plain and simple. I didn’t buy into that whole political masquerade about it being a Soviet plot to start a national scare.’

‘What about those two kids? The boy and the girl. You never did explain that one away. We were so close to cornering them.’

Sandra looked misty-eyed. ‘I know. They put me on psych alert after that. They said she used some some of mind-control trick on me. I can remember the pair of them like it’s yesterday. So cute and innocent-looking but I knew they were killers.’

‘What about he vampire angle?’

‘Disappeared into thin air. There is no explanation, well no logical explanation, therefore there is no explanation.’

Max put his hands together in an attitude of prayer. ‘Sandra, would you conduct the review?’

Sandra gave Max a hard stare. ‘I worked with you for so many years, and I know you’re holding back on something.’

Max felt uncomfortable. He rose and walked over to the window. ‘You wouldn’t be on your own. You would have assistance. The very best.’

‘I’m listening.’

‘I have a guy coming here to meet me in half an hour. I’d like you two to meet and see if you hit it off.’

‘Okej. Let me have a look through the case file again while we are waiting.’

‘I have very good reason to believe those kids didn’t just disappear.’

‘What!’ Sandra almost fell off her chair. ‘They must be in their thirties now, where? how ? when?’

‘Have patience Sandra. With the assistance of this guy, I have no doubt that you are the one who can locate them. I take it you’re on board then?’

‘You bet. Wild horses wouldn’t stop me putting this wrong to right.’

‘Then if you will sign the paperwork, I’ll let you have this’. Max walked over to his desk, and unlocked a drawer. He retrieved a Sig Sauer pistol, service holster and several clips of ammunition.

Pacing over to Sandra, he placed it carefully in her lap, saying in a hushed whisper. ‘I have it from THE highest authority. If for any reason, we can’t bring that pair in alive …. we are instructed to take them out. No hesitation, clear?’

Sandra nodded, serious but determined. ‘I’m still haunted by that girl’s face. Those eyes. Hmmm. She won’t get away again.’
snaps
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:19 pm

PART 3

Eli was Oskar for a little while.

Oskar remembered the months they had spent on the run together before they went into hibernation. He recalled the danger and the bad times that had brought them so close together, pitting their wits against their pursuers.

Eli picked up on Oskar’s concern and held him close.

Oskar also thought about the good times that they had enjoyed that had brought them even closer together. He had memories of; laughing and running like wild animals barefoot through dark forest floors, scaling rockfaces barehanded, jumping clear over river gorges, literally flying through the trees. All the things a twelve-year-old human boy would love to be able to do but could only do in fantasy.

Eli stroked Oskar’s face as he saw the images unfurl in his companion’s mind.

Oskar’s breathing grew deeper. The realisation tugged away at his sleepy reveries. He was no longer a twelve-year-old human boy with an over-fanciful imagination. He was a vampire, and with that came the whole package.

Eli placed his arms round Oskar’s shoulders, and rocked him gently back and forth. Eli knew he would have to make allowances. Oskar was a fledgling, and still needed mothering.

Images overlaid Oskar’s dreamscapes. His first and only kill for feeding, not of deer or an elk for its blood, but another human. Another human? He had to grow up and realise he was not of that kind now. He was blooded. A vampire with a destiny to keep alive.

Eli anticipated Oskar’s dilemma. He held Oskar’s face between the palms of his hands and pressed his face up close. ‘Oskar, look at me.’ Oskar’s eyes were closed. ‘Oskar, look at me.’ Oskar slowly unfurled his eyelids and looked into the cool, unfathomable dark pools of Eli’s eyes.

Oskar wanted to dive into the lakes of Eli’s eyes and drown in the bliss, raptures of the deep, feel overwhelmed, unattached, floating free. His mind started to drift, spiralling backwards. He recalled his humilation at the hands of his tormentors. He felt the sting of being whipped and his joy at overcoming the physical pain barrier with sheer hatred … or was it something else? Oskar’s mind was in turmoil. But why couldn’t he feel remorse or shame, why couldn’t he cry any more? Was there no way to turn back the clock? Even if that meant he was to be dead?

His reverie was soon answered.

Oskar felt a sharp slap across his face. This was no chummy cheek tap. His eyes were awake in sheer amazement. ‘Did you do that?’ he said in incredulity.

Eli was straddling Oskar. ‘Do you see anyone else around here?’

Oskar looked bewildered.

‘Oskar, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt you.’

‘I’m not hurt. I just … just. I don’t understand.’

‘Oskar, truly again, I didn’t mean to hurt you … ’

‘So, what is that at? You’ve never hit me before.’

Eli continued, ‘real friends sometimes have to be harsh with one another. The truth. That no-one else will tell. Not even your worst enemy.’

Oskar clapped his hands over his ears. He did not want to hear, he was not ready for THE TRUTH.

Eli was unrepentant. He forced Oskar’s hands away from his ears.

‘Oskar. It’s time to grow up,’ Eli growled.

Oskar felt overwhelmed. His arms were pinned down by his sides. ‘Why do we have to grow up?’

Eli said, ‘because of who we are. We CAN’T grow old, but we DO have to grow up.’

A silence lapsed. Their tense grips collapsed.

Eli’s head nestled in Oskar’s chest. He felt the twin beating of Oskar’s heart and his vampire mind.

Eli propositioned. ‘What was it your Mama always complained about your Papa?

Oskar said ’Because he’s a drunk.’

Eli suggested ‘I think even you are old enough to know it goes deeper than that.’

‘Because she went on and on and on about how childish he is. Can’t face up to responsibility.’

Eli raised her face towards Oskar. ‘Child is Father to the Man.’

Oskar frowned ‘Huh?’

Eli smiled. ‘Oskar?’

‘Yeh?’

‘I need you to be a Man for me?’ Eli looked up into Oskar’s eyes. ‘Because I can’t be a man for you. I can’t even be a girl for you.’

Oskar nodded. ‘I don’t mind. I love you just the way you are.'

Eli smiled and and kissed Oskar’s forehead.

‘Eli, I know it sounds like I whine a lot.’

‘Oskar, we do what we do, not out of choice but because we have to. You saved my life. I saved your life. We have a bond between us. Without you, I would be dead. Without me, you would be dead. That is an unbreakable bond. But there are people out there who wish us both destroyed. Simply, it is us or them. You have to be ready for that. This time it’s not about running away. This time we have to stand our ground. This time could be the end for us.’

‘I’m sorry if I’m a burden to you. I feel weak. I’m tired. I don’t want to let you down. Leave me behind if you have to.’

Eli wagged his forefinger at Oskar. ‘I will never leave you.’

Oskar smiled.

‘Come, Oskar. I’m feeling fine, but it looks like you need to feed. Not too much, just a little to get you back on your feet’.

Oskar’s lips locked onto Eli’s. Eli’s jaw lowered and he felt the clamp of Oskar’s serrated upper vampire teeth. Eli suppressed a wince, as Oskar’s little fangs penetrated his lower lip on the inside. He felt Oskar gently exhale through his nose onto his face. A slow hypnotic suckling sound like a baby taking milk from a bottle, as he cradled the back of his head. Within only a minute Oskar was sated. He lay back and his eyes closed as he snoozed. He had not taken much but Eli felt the loss of energy. He curled up beside him and fell into sleep.
snaps
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:21 pm

PART 4

Acting Inspector Sandra Birger flipped through Case File 81/224 “The Blackeberg Affair”, in Superintendent Max Blumenthal’s office at SÄPO, the State Security Service HQ in Stockholm. 'I don’t think I can take much more of this, it’s doing my head in.’

Max laughed out loud ‘Crazy days, eh. Do you remember at the time people were seeing vampires on every street corner?’

Sandra grew more agitated ‘Mass hysteria! Nothing else. It was like people in the USA in the nineteen-fifties seeing UFO’s everywhere, every one of them obviously a commie spy!’

Max shook his head. ’It all blew up because of that stupid Soviet submarine affair. It suited the Government to make out these murders were being dressed up as vampire attacks by Russian agents. That idiot, the Prime Minister, had us all running round like headless chickens.’

‘But Max, I don’t really understand why its getting a cold case review now. Surely there are a few years to go before it’s due? Is there any new evidence?’

Max looked in an attitude of deep thought. ‘Sandra, in those days our relations with the Soviets were at the rock bottom of the Baltic. Everything has changed since then. We may not be best of buddies with the Russians but we try to rub along. Last month I was invited to meet my counterpart in Moscow. They’ve opened up the files for scrutiny on the submarine affair. They’ve asked us for a favour in return.’

‘Which would be?’

‘They want us to clean up our files on ‘The Blackeberg Affair’ in the interests of better relations. Remove the stain on their honour. I have absolute assurances they had no involvement. In fact, they have given me some useful background material on their own secret investigation of our Blackeberg case.’

‘Which points to what?’

‘Vampires.’

The eyes in Sandra’s head rolled round. ‘Vampires!?’

An uncomfortable pause engulfed them.

Sandra broke the silence. ‘Max. Surely there is really no such thing as a vampire? I dare say the Södersjukhuset has a psychiatric ward stuffed full of people who think they are vampires. Kids tripping out on Ecstasy more like.’

‘What about the two kids then? You still never had the explanation for that?’ Max looked into the bottom drawer of a filing cabinet and pulled an ice packed carry-case of the kind used to transport medical material. ‘What about this, then?’ He retrieved the contents, a red girl’s top, inside a transparent bag. He held it up. There were heavy maroon and blackish deposits on it and it looked like a section had been cut away. ‘Do you recognise it?’

‘Is that what I think it is?’

Max nodded. ‘It’s the only tangible evidence we had left, linking the girl to the murder of Jocke Bengtsson’

‘He was the guy who was savaged, had his neck broken, then got dumped in the lake, right? Savage little cow that girl wasn’t she?’

Max assented ‘Almost certainly, Håkan Bengtsson, no relation, was just the accomplice on this one.’

Sandra recalled ‘But the blood typing was a clear match for Jocke. No other implications?’

Max resumed. ‘Forensics has moved on since the investigation. DNA profiling is getting more sophisticated. I dug this out of the Documentation and Evidence storage facility, and sent to the National Forensic Lab. They picked up on something we weren’t even looking for?’

‘Why not? Why wouldn’t we?’

Max stroked his chin. ‘We deal with blood samples all the time. If you had just slaughtered someone, with a gun, knife axe, whatever, what would be your instinct?’

‘Get the heck out, or at least try and dump the body, then leg it!’

‘You wouldn’t think of licking the blood, or drinking it even?’

‘Pffffrt! Not unless I was maybe a witchdoctor or something.’

‘Or something,’ Max echoed. ‘There were strong traces of saliva mixed in with the blood. It didn’t come from the victim, nor from Håkan Bengtsson. I had it sent to the Karolinska Institutet for further analysis. They tried to draw in a DNA profile. Completely baffled. Nothing like they’d ever seen before. Barely human, anyway. One thing that really showed pointed strongly in a different direction.’

“Mmmm?

‘The saliva sample was of interest. It appeared to run counter-intuitive, there was the presence of something biologically resembling Hementin.’

‘Whats that?’

‘I got an old contact from Orebro Zoo to look at our saliva sample. It’s very closely related to Haementaria Ghiliani, a kind of giant Amazon leech’.

‘So we are looking to go arrest a big leech now?’

Max shook his head. Whatever thing exuded this bodily fluid onto the girl’s top, and we may take it we are talking about the girl, has evolved this for feeding purposes. Hementin is a very powerful blood anti-coagulent.

Sandra looked stunned for a few seconds. ‘Whats the connection to this mysterious visitor you want me to work with?’

‘He’s called Skylar Moon.’

Sandra looked even more puzzled.

‘You know the old saying, set a thief to catch a thief?’

‘Sandra nodded before it dawned on her. ’This Skylar Moon character. Max, are you telling me he’s a vampire?

Max added, ‘he’s our best shot. Don’t let’s strike out before we’ve tried using him.’

‘And what super-powers can we expect from him then, pray?’

‘Geomancy and necromancy just for a start. Trust me I’ve seen Skylar Moon at work. An expert tracer and tracker. He hasn’t even seen the girl’s top yet. Once he sniffs this he’ll home in on her like a fly heads for sh ..’

‘Max!’ Sandra interrupted, ’this all sounds like so much smoke and mirrors to me. How did you get Police Board approval to work with this vamp guy?’

‘I didn’t.

Sandra looked apprehensive.

‘Only you, me, and my Boss know about this arrangement. Incidentally, don’t call him a vamp. He’s a reformed vampire, strictly regulated. Let’s just say, he doesn’t have much choice but to co-operate. He may be a vampire on-hold, but at least he’s OUR vampire. If he lets us down, I have so much dirt on him it’ll bury him, and with a stake through his heart.’

‘Do you have a background file on Skylar Moon I can look at before he arrives?’

Max reached into his brief-case. ‘This is all off-the-record. Just my own notes, not an official file understood?’

Sandra assented. Max handed her the notes. She turned to the cover.

‘This photograph is blank. Is that for security reasons?’

‘No. He’s a vampire Sandra, you have to get with the mindset. Vampires are not very photogenic. They just show up as a milky blur at best. ’

Sandra seemed resigned to her lot.

Max added for emphasis ‘Point is, you’ll get all the credit. Skylar will just slip quietly into the background like mist. He’s our only real prospect of success. He’ll lead us to this pair of murderous kids ….’

Sandra smiled, ‘Then we can snuff them out for good.’
snaps
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:23 pm

PART 5

‘Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp?’

This time Eli felt the tips of Oskar’s fingers run up his back.

Eli came round from his nap and yawned. ‘Do you want to know the truth?’

‘Mmmm?’

‘You need a shower. After twenty years or so, you need a shower.’

Oskar sniffed himself. ‘Maybe? You don’t smell too bad though.’

‘I’ve had one yesterday. There’s staff shower stalls in this warehouse.’

‘Mmmm.’

Eli took the initiative. ‘C’mon Oskar, time to get up. We have things to do.’

‘Like what?’

‘Well first of all you need to do some exercise, stretch your arms and legs or else you’ll get cramps.’

‘Okej.’

They clambered out of the plastic laundry trolley that had been home.

Oskar now felt in a mood to investigate. His first step was to fall over awkwardly, like a new-born calf. Eli laughed ‘Hey, let me support you.’ Eli helped Oskar to his feet and held his arm around his waist as Oskar took his first tentative steps. There was no light but Oskar blinked and tried to focus his eyes. He saw shelves all around them containing other plastic trolleys and boxes. They reached the door of the refrigeration unit and Eli opened the door. They slipped through. The warehouse was huge, all shelves and paper in boxes, files and folders on shelves marked with numbers he couldn’t make sense of. In the background the low hum of extractor fans, the only sound to break the silence. The warehouse was lit only by dim blue flourescent panels.

‘*Pzappp!*’

Oskar’s head jerked round. ‘What was that!’

‘Nothing.’ Eli reassured him. ‘Just a stray insect got electrocuted.’

The air smelled of nothing. Sterile, cool. It crackled with static. The small downy hairs on his arms and legs stood up.

They reached the far wall of the warehouse. Oskar could make out the shower stalls. They walked onto a rubber matted area.

‘Right, Oskar. Down.’ Eli pushed him inelegantly to the floor. ‘Give me fifty.’

‘Fifty what?’

‘Push-ups.’

Oskar looked up at Eli. ‘You’re worse than Mr Avila.’

Eli was unsympathetic. ‘Just do it. We have to be ready for action.’

Oskar complied to just to please Eli. His first attempts were unco-ordinated. After five he was ready to give up.

He felt the sting as Eli slapped him hard across his bare backside. ‘Oskar. That is pathetic. Believe in yourself and you can do it.’

Oskar felt himself glow with humiliation. He would show Eli. He was determined. From somewhere he summoned up the energy. The next ten came out with some effort.

Eli supplied encouragement. ‘That’s it Oskar! You KNOW you can do it.’

Oskar felt his lungs fill out, like a football being blown up for the first time. He polished off another ten.

Eli was an unrepentent taskmaster. ‘C’mon Oskar keep going, you know you can do better.’

The next fifteen came easy. Eli, squatted down by his face ‘C’mon, faster, faster.’

Oskar pumped out another ten with ease. He was getting into his stride. The air could not be sucked-in fast enough for him. He felt light-headed. He was dizzy with his own possibilities and accomplishments, he was surpassing himself. Eli cruelly placed a bare foot into the small of Oskar’s back and pressed down hard. ‘C’mon Oskar, you’re not a wimpy kid anymore. You’re a vampire. YOU can do it’

Oskar beat out the last of his push-ups. Eli’s words echoed in his ears. ‘You’re a vampire. YOU can do it’

Oskar, his exercise done, rolled over. He looked back up to Eli and smiled. He had never felt this good in his whole life. Blood pumped itself through every artery. This was the highest high. An adrenalin rush. Imaginary ants crawled all over him but he was immune to their stinging. He could take pain and laugh in it’s face. A hit like no-one can imagine. He felt ready for ANYTHING.

He felt ready to KILL it was that good. A shadow crossed over his thoughts. ‘Eli, how long will I be a vampire for?’

Eli kicked a leg over and straddled him. ‘Oskar this is it. The buffers. End of the line. There is NO way back.’

‘Not ever?’

Eli sensed Oskar’s unease. He lowered himself onto Oskar’s prone frame. ‘What is it that you want to ask?’

‘I don’t know.’

‘Yes you do.’

‘Eli. Do we ever die?’

Eli looked down at Oskar. If Eli had tears to cry then this would have been the moment. Eli’s tear ducts were dry, arid, burned out. ‘Well, it’s not a stake through the heart. That’s just an image, a picture of what it feels like.’

‘So what is it?’ Oskar looked desperate. ‘I just can’t get it. I want to know what love is. But I’m too young. I think I know. But I don’t.’

‘Because. Because. It’s about love.’

‘Why is that? What is love? Why don’t I understand.’

Eli drew breath. ‘Love is being prepared to sacrifice yourself for another, even knowing that it will be your certain end.’

‘Has anyone ever done that for you?’

Eli looked distant. ‘A human yes, but a vampire no.’

Oskar looked perplexed.

‘Betrayal. A vampire cannot be killed by a human. A vampire can only really be killed by another vampire in an act of betrayal.’

Oskar felt Eli’s pain. He reached out and cradled his head in his own hands. ‘Eli, I would never betray you.’ The words slipped from his lips like dark pearls.

Eli smiled. ‘I know you wouldn’t. We have been through so much together. We are inseparable. It’s the two of us now, or neither of us.’

Oskar nodded and gave Eli a big hug.

Eli pushed him back and stared into Oskar’s eyes. ‘Oskar. There are dark forces gathering around us. This is a battle to the death.’

Oskar beamed up at Eli. Eli was unrepentant. ‘Oskar, give me fifty press ups.’

Oskar grinned. With renewed vigour he flipped over and started his punishing schedule. As he crossed the pain barrier he swore a silent oath to himself, ‘Eli, I am you, and you are me. Together, forever.’
snaps
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:26 pm

PART 6

Sandra flipped through the personnel file on young Skylar Moon, SÄPO Special Agent and Vampire Extraordinaire. Periodically, she rolled her eyes and peered over the folder at her boss. Max Blumenthal just gently smiled. He packed away the vampire girl's top back into it’s freezer case. He nodded enthusiastically at Sandra. ’Quite a CV, huh?’

Sandra was less convinced. ’Quite a fairy-tale, yes.’

’Well, what is your problem with the guy?’

’OK, let’s take it from the top. Skylar Moon. Among other things: Olympic standard athlete, champion gymnast, Karate black belt, contortionist like Houdini.... contortionist!’

’He’s double jointed. You should see him in action’.

’Further physical attributes: robust metabolism, can voluntarily reduce pulse rate to zero. Can survive extreme cold, can hold breath underwater for half-an-hour.’ Max, I know there are Indian mystics who claim the same, maybe he’s trained with them?’

Sandra continued. ’Exceptional sensory capabilities, hearing range extends outside the human range, eyesight beyond human capabilites includes perfect night-vision, intense olfactory sense, peculiar taste abilities e.g. expert wine taster .... errr Max, someone was more than tasting wine when they wrote this.’ She frowned at Max.

’Curious thing is though, he can taste a wine, tell you complete provenance, vintage, the works, but he’s teetotal!’

’And I see he doesn’t do drugs, is also a non-smoker and a vegetarian ..................freaking vegetarian! Max, this kid is supposed to be a vampire!’

Max looked slighly embarrased. ’Yeh I know, but overlooking his unusual culinary tastes, he is in fact a veggie.’

’I guess he doesn’t have any vices then. Always remembers to buy flowers for his vampire mother’s birthday. Yeh?’

’Well, he is polyamorous. That’s got us into a few tight corners.’

’Poly what?’

’Polyamorous.’

’Polyamorous? Ewwwww. Does that mean like anything that moves? ’

’Well not exactly. But he does consort with both humans and vampires. Oh, and he is bi-sexual.’

’I’m glad you told me. Thankfully, I’m a little past having workplace affairs. Where did you find him, Max? In the zoo or something?’

Max didn’t respond, just indicated to continue.

’Accomplished mind-reader, hypnotist, remote viewer and geomancer, excellent mimicry skills .... can imitate any known sound. Max, I’ve seen all this kind of stuff on the cabaret circuit.’

Sandra read on. ’Necromancer, psychic, exceptional extra-sensory perception ... ’ She was losing patience. ’These guys I tell you, they’re con-artists, every one of them. On the make, trying to do old ladies out of their life-savings. I suppose you’re going to tell me you’ve seen him chew broken glass and metal cans? ’

’Even better, Sandra. I’ve seen him swallow them.’

’I.Q. off the scale. Speed reader, photographic memory, encyclopaedic knowledge. Speaks seven languages fluently, including Japanese.’

Max nodded enthusiastically.

’How many people do you know in Stockholm, actually speak Japanese?’

’Hmmmm. None close to hand.’

’So you’ve never tested these things out?’

’Most of them. Not all. I didn’t want him to get the feeling we were questioning his abilities. I’ve seen him operate at first hand. A lot of his skills would be useful to the terrorist groups. He has great dexterity and patience. He’s been with me when I’ve seen him dis-assemble a bomb with seconds left, all without a drop of sweat.’

’Is he clean?’

’No. But we are political police, not criminal investigators. I’ve seen him crack codes on a multiple dial safe like a geeky kid solving a Rubik’s cube in a minute. Make no mistake. He’s a crook. A cat burglar. But as long as he serves our purposes, I’m happy to turn a blind eye to what he has to do to get by in life.’

Sandra was pensive. ’What’s his performance like in the firing range?’

’He never carries a weapon. He doesn’t need to. I’ve seen him knock down a 10 kilo thug at 50 metres just by screeching at him.’

Sandra laughed. ’Wow, and what did he scream at him? Did he criticise the guy’s taste in interior decor? ’

’Sandra that’s unworthy of you.’ Max frowned disapproval. ’He can emit a high-decibel directed shriek. Ultrasound. Like a bat. Knocked the thug guy clean off his feet, blew out his eardrums, and stunned him.’

’This I have to see!’

’It’s all mind over matter. I’ve witnessed him electrocute another goon. He just seemed to concentrate, summon up all the static electricity in the air, just shot it out in an arc from his fingertip. Smacked the bad-guy right in the gonads, like a taser-whip.’

’Now that could be a useful skill! Maybe he could teach me.’

’Sandra, you also have to bear one thing in mind.’

’And?’

’That he is a ruthless killer. His nails are tough as razor blades, more like a big cat’s claws when he’s on heat. I’ve seen him rip guys to shreds like he was pulling apart a crayfish.’

’Okej Max. I have my doubts and I don’t understand it all yet. But Skylar Moon sounds like the kind of sidekick you need in a tight corner.’

’I’ll think you’ll like him. Okej he’s a very cocky S.O.B. but with the right direction he’ll do good. He’ll be here any minute. You can ask him any question you like.’

’Anything else you haven’t told me about his skills and abilities?’

’Yes. He doesn’t feel pain. I’ve seen him take a bullet from a Glock at close range, and walk on like nothing’s happened. He seems to be able to desensitise himself to pain.’

’Then I’ll try to remember not to tick him off!’

Sandra put down the file, and walked over to the window, and turned to face Max. ’The bit I don’t get. His year of birth says 1927. I thought that was a typo? This kid is seventeen years old. That would make Skylar Moon seventy-seven years old?’

’He’s had a long time to develop. That’s how he has acquired all these skills and knowledge. But, frankly, yes in reality, he is an average seventeen year old pain-in-the-rear, know-it-all, kick-ass teenager.’

Sandra smiled at Max. Her arms leaned into the window-frame and her body relaxed. ’Max. I want to be personal for a moment. I know you and Zelda never had kids. I just got this feeling like Skylar Moon is the idealised son you never had? It’s just like some wierd kid escaped from a circus somewhere. You took him in. Got him back on his feet. Or, is he taking you in?’

’Sandra. If I may be personal with you for a moment. We never kept secrets from each other, right.? ’

Sandra shook her head in resignation.

Max got up from his desk and walked towards Sandra. ’What about Ophelia, your daughter?’

Sandra threw her arms up in the air. ‘Kids. I expect its what you get in return for having a cop and a lawyer as parents. There should be a law against it. All the missed school concerts, sports matches, broken promises. You try justifying it to yourself and them, that you work for the government, but you can’t talk to them about it because its secret. Doesn’t make for good bonding.’

Max shook his head ’I’m sorry, Sandra. I just need to know you’re on the level in this case. It turned you inside out back then. ’

Sandra looked up at Max. ’I am strong. I AM strong!’ At this point Sandra should have wept tears but her tear ducts were dessicated. ’Ophelia. Ophelia died in my arms. Let’s not spare the truth. My own sweet daughter became a satanist, drug-using, sex-abusing, prostitute piece of filth. Her suicide was a merciful release. I’d just like to get my hands on the vampire kids that turned her that way.’

Max placed his hands over Sandra’s shoulders for comfort. ’Sandra. We don’t know any of that stuff for sure.’
Sandra looked up at Max again. ’I saw that Eli kid up as close as you are now. I will never forget that look in her eyes. And that mealy-mouthed blonde boy who was her slave. It was guilt! That javla bitch took my daughter. I know it was her. Now I’m out to get her.’

Max clasped Sandra close to him.

Then, there was an almighty bang at the window like a huge bird had become disoriented and flown into a cliff side.

’Jesus-Christ-on-a bicycle!’ Sandra jumped into Max’s portly frame.

’Mmmm. I hope I’m not disturbing anything!’ Skylar Moon held on like a clawed bat to the concrete frame on the outside of the window.

Max looked disapprovingly parental. ’Skylar!’ Sandra did not dare look behind her.

Max resumed. ’Why can’t you use the doors and elevators like anyone else?’

Sandra clung to Max, afraid to look.

Skylar tipped his head to one side. ’Sorry, Papa. I didn’t mean to freak anyone. I was late. May I come in?’
snaps
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:27 pm

PART 7

Oskar was getting restless. His natural inquisitiveness restored by his rigorous work-out.

‘What’s through there?’ He pointed at the opaque perspex door to the left of the shower area.’

‘Oh nothing.’

‘Nothing what? It’s OK for you, but I want to explore.’

‘There’s nothing in there for you to see.’

‘What’s that supposed to mean?’

‘It means, there are things in there, which you shouldn’t really see.’

‘I want to have a look.’

‘Oskar, please.’

‘Look Eli, I know we’re friends but you’re always trying to boss me around.’

Eli gave up on persuasion, as Oskar advanced cautiously through the door. The lights clicked on automatically. There was a low soft light cast over the area. It looked like a science laboratory. His attention was drawn to a corner area curtained off like a hospital cubicle. He pulled back the curtain and gaped at what he saw. Standing upright was a large cylindrical glass container, about two metres high. Floating in what looked like a greenish liquid was a body, the cadavre of an elderly woman. Her face was contorted into a grimace. This didn’t look like any natural death. A large cavity stood in place of where her stomach should have been.

Oskar quickly moved away from the scene. Along one wall was a series of chest freezer cabinets. He opened the lid on one. As the mist cleared, he made out the features of another body, similar to the one he had seen. This time he could see the features more clearly as her eyes were still open. They seemed to let out two pencil point lights of blue flourescent light. That’s when it struck him what had been odd about the first body. This one, like the other was handcuffed and with metal shackles restraining the feet.

He rapidly about-turned resting his hands on the cabinet rim and gasped, in revulsion, for air. Eli enteerd the long room and began walking toward Oskar. She didn’t want to shout at him but she had a ‘told you so’ look on her face.

Behind Oskar, the corpse he had seen silently shifted, levering herself to an angle very slowly. Oskar rubbed his eyes, then turned to close the freezer lid. The old woman’s corpse lurched forward, throwing her handcuffed arms over his head behind his back and started to pull him toward her. The slit that was her mouth opened and Oskar got a blast of solid breath that smelled overwhelmingly of burnt almonds. Eli rushed forward, grab’bed hold of the woman’s arm and pulled with all the strength she could muster. The arm came flailing off, pulled out at the socket, with a sharp crack of bone. Pieces of split sinew flayed like worms. The dry skin like ancient parchment cracked, splintered and rustled. Oskar lurched away from his captor. Eli threw the detached arm still handcuffed to its counterpart, back into the container. The corpse collapsed backwards into a dusty pile, and Eli and slammed the lid down.

Oskar was visibly shaken. Eli placed an arm round him and shunted him out through the door. He gathered his thoughts after a minute of numbness. ‘Who. I mean, what in the name of .. why? What was that?’

‘She’s dead. That was just a reflex action. You know like if you cut the head off a chicken, it can still run around for a while.’

‘But what was … What’s she doing here, it was like an Egyptian mummified thing … and … and who would want to handcuff an old lady … was she a madwoman or something?’

‘She’s a vampire, but not totally. A kind of hybrid. They’re called Valkyrja. When they die, their bodies revert to what their real Earth age would be. The rest of them in there look like they’re in their seventies or eighties. Just before she died she was probably just a teenager.’

Oskar drew breath. ‘So they’re like a special race of vampire. Are we related?

‘No. Thank goodness. These Valkyrja were specially bred the way they are. We kill because we have to survive. Valkyrja murder for the sheer satisfaction of killing. They were designed that way. They are virtually indestructible.’

‘Those ones back there weren’t!’ Oskar permitted himself a grin to break the tension.

Eli shook his head. ‘Valkyrja are programmed to kill themselves if they fail on a killing mission. Those ones, judging by the smell of them, poison and body belt grenades.They will stop at nothing. If they fail, they know must die.’

Oskar thought deeply. ‘Those Valkyrja in the laboratory. Why don’t they just bury them, or cremate them or something.’

Eli nodded. ‘Valkyrja are highly toxic. Their bodies have been engineered and modified. If you buried one it would leach heavy metals into the ground, which would eventually find their way into and poison water courses. If you tried to cremate one, it would explode into a cloud of toxic fumes which could wipe out anyone within a kilometre radius. My guess is that the lab is trying to find a safe way of disposing of the corpses.’

Oskar tried to take all this on-board.

‘There’s only one thing more dangerous than a dead Valkyrja like that one back there, and that’s a live one.’

Oskar attempted gallows hunour. ‘Well let’s hope we don’t meet any then!’

Eli looked downcast. ‘Oskar, the authorities are going to start looking for us again.’

Oskar put his head to one side. ‘Yes, but we outsmarted them last time when the heat was on.’

Eli frowned. ‘It’s different this time.’

‘How?’

‘They’re going to use another vampire to track us down. A Valkyra.’

A chill ran down Oskar’s back.

‘I wasn’t going to tell you till later, because I didn’t want you to worry.’

Oskar chewed his lip. ‘I am worried.’

Eli sighed. ‘He already knows who we are. That’s why we have to keep moving, keep one step ahead of him.’

Oskar looked at Eli and caught the seriousness of his expression. Oskar knew this was no game.

Eli picked up on Oskar’s unease. He reached out and held his hand. ‘But we’re a team. As long as we stick together they can’t beat us. The Valkyrja have a major weakness. They don’t understand ideas like friendship, love and loyalty. They don’t even trust each other. They are treacherous even to one another. A Valkyrja would kill one of its own if it meant they could survive. We are the best of buddies. Us two together can knock out any one of them.’

‘What if there’s a whole army of them?’

‘There isn’t. This one coming after us is a rebel against the Valkyrja command.’

‘Well that’s good isn’t it?’

‘Sadly not. The renegade feels he has something to prove. That makes him even more dangerous for us.’ Eli nodded. ‘Come on Oskar, it’s time to move on.’

Eli didn’t need Oskar trailing behind. Oskar enquired, ‘do you know who this Valkyrja is, does he have a name?’

Eli nodded. ‘Yes. His name is Skylar Moon.’
snaps
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:29 pm

PART 8

[Luke Worrall, modelling for Antony Morato, photographed by Joseph Cardo. A kind of proto-type Skylar Moon in my imagination.]

’I’m sorry I didn’t mean to startle you.’

The cool, soothing voice belonged to Skylar Moon. The vampire mercenary leaned over the body of Acting Inspector Sandra Birger in the office at SÄPO HQ. At Skylar’s unorthodox entry she had collapsed into a heap in an armchair

Max Blumenthal brought a large mug of coffee over to her. ’Are you with us Sandra? You feinted back there. A blackout? Here, I think you need this. I’ve made it extra strong.’

Sandra blinked at Skylar. She found herself staring into the face of angel. His face had the pallor of an old-style graveyard statuette. Parian marble, oval face, perfectly chiselled features, high cheekbones, well defined chin. A curtain of hair brushed forward in Emo style. It was platinum blonde, though appeared to have no real colour of it’s own. Like a shock of fibre optic thread cables, loosely flopping and flouncing as it reflected the light. A pair of wrap-around Raybans, in camp fashion, perched on his head like a tiara.

’I’m Skylar Moon’. His full lips were offset with a low-sheen Prussian blue lipstick, the shade of a drowned corpse.

’You’re dead meat if you pull a stunt like that again.’

’I really do apologise.’ His lips parted to reveal pure, strong, brilliant white teeth, not a trace of dentistry. His cool breath smelt slightly of bitter-sweet almonds, the trademark of cyanide.

Skylar held out his hand in a gesture of friendship. His long, thin artistic fingers were held out from a limp wrist. They were surmounted by carefully manicured nails, cut to fine points and varnished white.

Sandra seized the opportunity to test Skylar’s legendary pain-resistance. Summoning her not inconsiderable strength as a trained police officer, she wrapped her meaty hand around Skylar’s. At first she was shocked at the sensation of gripping a block of ice. She then dug her own nails into his flesh and squeezed as hard as she could.

He registered not a flicker of pain. He placed his left hand over Sandra’s. Skylar’s innocent but cheeky smile broadened. His closed hand arched and she felt his boney knuckles raise into sharp points. His upper hand gently closed morphing into something like a construction site grab-claw. Sandra felt her hand being slowly crushed between Skylar’s hands, with the strength of an industrial power vice.

’OK. OK. Could I have my hand back please Skylar?’ He immediately relaxed his grip, and withdrew his right hand.

’Hey, whats with you guys? Are you arm wrestling or something?’ Max laughed. He caught sight of them as he made himself a coffee from the sidetable behind his desk.

’We’re just getting better acquainted. Isn’t that right Sandra?’

Sandra was silent. His choir-boyish grin did not fool her. A traitor’s seductive sneer if ever there was one. She observed his eyes with their pale blue irises like a Persian cat. His pupils which had been contracted to pinpoints, began to dilate. This kid needed to be watched carefully. She felt her heart beat faster with suppressed resentment.

He let the forefinger of his left hand slide over her pulse as he backed off.

’I do believe Sandra is having palpitations!’

’Don’t be a jerk, Skylar. It’s this coffee Max made. It’s very strong.’

Max chimed in good-humouredly. ’Skylar, behave yourself. Sandra’s old enough to be your mother.’

’Please, Max!’ Sandra chuckled. ’Skylar’s supposed to be seventeen? I wouldn’t have put him as older than a fourteen year old.’

Skylar flounced into the arnchair opposite, the various chains adorning his body chinked. He sat, slouched badly with the insouciance of a slapped teenager. His feet were splayed outwards with the toes of his bondage boots upturned.

Max called over. ’Can I fix you a drink, Skylar?’

’I’ll have my usual please.’

Max went over to the water cooler to draw off a paper cupful.

’Sandra thought I was going to say blood. Didn’t you Sandra?’ Skylar winked at Sandra.

’The thought did cross my mind. As it would the mind of any sane person.’

’Max thinks very highly of you Sandra. I can tell. I feel privileged to meet you.’

’Is that supposed to be an example of your mind-reading abilities? He’s just called me back into active service. Go figure.’

Skylar smirked. ’Max has held out a candle for you for a long-time. He didn’t tell me that, but it’s true.’

’Skylar, I told you before. Quit this joshing! You’re embarrassing Sandra.’

’Max. I’m just joking. It isn’t true.’ Skylar leaned towards Sandra and mouthed in a barely audible whisper ’It is really.’

’It’s OK. Max, I wouldn’t want Skylar to think I don’t have a sense of humour.’

Max, slightly reddened in the face by Skylar’s revelation, pronounced. ’Now, now folks. We are in a serious stressful deadly business, and yes you are right. We need to have humour to stop ourselves going insane. But enough is enough for now.’

’Sorry, Max, I’m just trying to establish rapport. Sandra, forgive me, it’s just my way of being friendly.’

’That’s fine Skylar. I do understand. I’m just not used to working with teenaged special agents.That’s all.’ Sandra chipped in.

Max busied himself gathering paperwork together. ’OK, people. I’ll just get myself organised and then we’ll get down to business.’

Sandra attempted to build bridges, ’I’m very taken with your dress sense, Skylar.’ she lied.

’Why, thank you.’ Skylar smiled in reply, and tipped his head coquettishly to one side.

Sandra scanned the incongruous mass sat before her. The purple silk shirt with lace cuffs and collar, slashed three buttons open at the neck. No discernable chest hair, indeed his hands and arms appeared hairless. No trace of facial hair, no afternoon shadow. The black leather jeans that looked as tight as if they were sprayed on. The rather provocative bulge at the crotch which only an immature adolescent boy would think was attractive. The small piercings in one blonde eyebrow. The carefully applied eyeliner. The perfectly shell like ears, sporting black discs. All the self-conscious studied chic of a high maintenance rent-boy. Those seductive eyes which glowed softly with blue flourescence. Difficult for anyone to believe they were gazing at a merciless killing machine.

’You obviously take a lot of trouble with your appearance.’

’Thank you.’

’I like the lippy.’

’I don’t wear make-up.’

’No,’ Sandra confirmed, unconvinced.

’I like piercings. I’ve had my nipples done. Because I can withstand pain, I’ve also had a Prince Albert. Would you like to see?’

’Perhaps some other time.’ Sandra nodded with total incomprehension. ’So what other things do you do when you’re not being a special agent?’

’I’m lead singer in a retro rock band. We’re called Svedjefinner.’

’Slash and Burn Finns. Charming. What sort of music do you play.’

’Rehash death metal versions of pop classics, Kinks, Bowie, Smiths, and so on.’

’Lovely,’ remarked Sandra without having a clue what was meant.

’We have quite a following on the underground circuit. It keeps me in with a fresh supply of meat. Girls and boys y’know.’

Sandra swallowed distastefully. She picked up on Skylar’s jewellery. He was adorned with black earings, black necklace, black bracelet, with a black brooch.

’I must say I do like these.’ Sandra indicated the jewellery.

’They are original English Victorian mourning bling. Whitby Jet. Cost me an arm and a leg, so I had to grew new ones.’ Skylar smirked.

Sandra returned the smile. ’Ah there we have common ground. I love antiques. Whitby jet. I’ve heard of that. It’s unique to that area of England?’.

’Whitby. Yes.’

’Home to the writer, err .... Bram Stoker?’

’Who wrote Dracula.’

’How very appropriate.’ Sandra nodded. ’Is antique collecting a hobby, like with me.’

’I’m a serious trader.’

Max was listening in, and coughed loudly from the sidelines, knowing Skylar was a thief and a blackmailer.

Skylar continued. ’I have a boutique showroom in my basement apartment in Södermalm.’

Sandra looked puzzled. ’That’s odd. I think I know every antique outlet in Stockholm. I’ve never come across your name. But Söder, it’s kind of anything Bohemian goes there, right? ’

’It’s for private showings. Let’s say, I trade with discerning collectors who wish to be discrete about their interests.’

’So what line are you in, Skylar?’

’Erotic artefacts, BDSM curiousities, antique whips, chains, pineapple dildos, implements of to......’

’OK. OK. I think I get the picture!’ Sandra waved her hand in revulsion.

’You know, you are most welcome to visit my dungeon anytime, Sandra.’ Skylar smirked lasciviously.

Max interrupted, pulling up a chair. ’Hey, I’m really pleased to see you two getting on so well. Together we are a team, right? More than a match for this Eli and Oskar duo.’

There was a palpable, embarrassed silence.
snaps
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:30 pm

PART 9

Elli and Oskar shared a cubicle in the area labelled ‘Decontamination Showers’. Oskar, flinched under the water. ‘Awww radical! That’s too hot, give it some cold!’

Eli giggled. ‘That’s full-on cold, I haven’t even mixed in any hot water.’

They stepped out of the cubicle and Eli pulled a pair of towels off a rail. They towelled off.

Oskar thought for a minute. ‘You know Eli, I’ll always tell you the truth, but I want you to be truthful with me.’

Eli smiled. ‘Okej. What do you want to know?’

Oskar thought. ‘I know you are a more experienced vampire than me, but how do you know things like that we are living in 2004? Is that your intuition?’

Eli grinned and towel-flicked Oskar. ‘No, silly boy! We are in some kind of storeroom, warehouse sort of thing. I was disturbed a few weeks ago, and went out to look. Some people were talking and taking some boxes out. When they do that, they have to write something on a clipboard in its place. That has the date on it, who its been taken out by, and which room its been taken to.’

‘Ah, OK.’ He said, but not as if he really understood. ‘So, are we going outside now?’

Eli grinned. Well, I’ve already been out. It may have occurred to you, but we’re not wearing any clothes. I think people might just notice notice.’

‘Where did you put our clothes?’

‘I bought us some new ones. I’ve stashed them back where we were hibernating. Come on, lets go and put them on’.

‘Just a second. Where did you get the money?’

Eli explained. ‘After Håkan, I cleared out the apartment. I put the money into a joint account he opened for us. I thought it was too risky to try and take any real money out, in case the Bank called the cops. I went to where I hid the jewellery. I went to my stash and it was still there. I moved it into a new hiding place. I crawled down under the Tranebergsbron, scaled the struts, and put the jewellery behind some girders. They only finished re-furbing the bridge two years ago, so I don’t think anyone human is likely to disturb it’.

Oskar was wide-eyed. ‘That was one mothe … I mean real risk. What if you’d fallen into the Mälaren?’

‘Then I wouldn’t be here now. And probably, you wouldn’t be either. Oskar. I did it for us.’

Oskar needed to know more, but didn’t know what words to say.

Eli anticipated. ‘I took a couple of antique rings. I hung out in some shady places. I got a tip-off that someone down in Söder traded black market. The miserable swine only gave me half what they were worth. But it’s black market.’

‘You should have kicked his butt Eli.’

’Easy for you to say Oskar. He sensed that I am a vampire, but he will trade with anyone under the counter. I know he’s only interested in buying out the rest of my stash at a sell-out price. After that. Nothing. But for what he didn’t pay in cash he gave me a tip-off, worth more than any money can buy.’

Oskar was befuddled. ‘I don’t understand. Who is this guy?’

‘Skylar Moon.’

‘But, but isn’t that …?’

‘Yes. Skylar Moon, the Valkyrja. Oskar, you don’t mess with the Valkyrja. It was a pre-warning. We have to get out today.’

‘Or else he will come looking for us?’

‘Exactly. So let’s get down to business, and blow outta here.’

It took a while for the truth to sink in. A long silence followed. Oskar felt racked by fear, but he was desperate not for Eli to pick up on his terror. Eli was his support and strength. Eli risked everything for him. Deep down he knew that everything would be alright with Eli by his side. Everything would work out. What could he do for Eli in return? How could he repay the risks Eli had taken for him? He wasn’t brave, he was a weakling. What did he have to offer in return? He felt pathetic. He saw Eli there, head in hands, vacantly staring into space. That’s when it occurred to him. He didn’t have to be someone special for Eli. He didn’t need super-powers. Eli was waiting for him. Why? Because he told himself, Eli NEEDED Oskar to simply BE himself.

Oskar coughed. ‘Did you get me one of those multi-coloured shell-suits? I’d really like one of those. They’re really radical.’

‘No, I didn’t.’ Eli shook his head. ‘Oskar. Wake up. We’re twenty-two years down the line. Fashions change. I’ve bought us new clothes so that we fit in with our surroundings, not so that we stick out like a pair of dorks.’

Oskar stopped in his tracks. ‘I knew there was something different about you!’

‘What?’

Oskar giggled. ‘You’ve had a haircut! Haha!’

Eli ran his fingers through his new short cut and quiff, and blushed.

They pulled on their new outfits and stood admiring each other.

Oskar grinned. ‘You really look like a boy now.’

‘That’s the whole idea. These SÄPO people will be out looking for a boy and a girl, not two guys. And, by-the-way, first thing tomorrow, I’m going to drag you into a hair stylist’s and get you fixed. That page-boy and mullet style is sooooo late nineteen-seventies. I’ll take you to Rebecka’s salon. She did mine for me’.

‘I’m not going to a ladies hairdresser!’ Oskar protested.

‘It’s called unisex Oskar. There’s nothing to be scared of.’ Eli smiled. ‘Here try this on.’ Eli handed Oskar a New York Yankees baseball cap.

‘Wow, is that for me! I thought you could only get these in America?’

‘They’re all over Sweden now. Here put it on the right way round.’ Eli twisted the cap round on Oskar’s head.

Oskar was puzzled. ‘That’s really silly. It’s back-to-front.’

Eli nodded. ‘Exactly. We’re trying to blend into the crowd, not stand out.’

Oskar liked his new top with hoodie. He pulled on his Converse trainers and jumped up and down. Excited, he sprinted back to a full-length mirror he had seen near the shower stall. He laughed out loud at the bizarre liquid shape he saw in the reflection. ‘Hey Eli, come over here. They’ve got one of these silly mirrors like you get in a fairground.’

Eli called over ‘It’s not distorted. It’s a proper mirror. It’s you that’s distorted. You’re a vampire now OK? ’

The truth hit Oskar. The mirror didn’t seem funny anymore.

‘Hey come over here. I’ll be your mirror.’ Eli called.

Oskar returned and stood before Eli, and he fussed over him. With a big smile he said ‘You look the real schizz now!’

‘The real what?’

‘Schizz.’ Oskar nodded not comprehending.

Eli sensed his puzzlement. ‘Try to pick up on the words people are using in the streets now. And another thing, stop saying “radical” every five minutes. You can say “random” but don’t say “radical” right?’

‘What does “random” mean?’

‘Exactly the same as “radical” . Absolutely nothing at all. And incidentally if someone says you look “wicked”, they are paying you a complement. They mean you are good-looking.’

Oskar scratched his head. ‘I think I have a lot to get adjusted to.’

‘So, how do I look?’ Eli twirled in a 360 degree spin.

Oskar beamed, and after a pause said ‘wicked as ever.’

Eli flushed a little. ‘Does that mean we’re still going steady? I mean, now that I look like a real boy?’

Oskar stroked his chin in mock seriousness. ‘We’ve been sleeping together for over twenty years. I think that’s a little more than going steady, young Sir!’

Eli cracked up, and doubled-over laughing.

Oskar melted into laughter. They embraced and hugged hard. For a moment the mood lifted. For a magic moment their past cares melted away. They stood together like a statue couple frozen in space. Harlequin and Columbine, dancing forever through the sands of time. Oskar resolved that being a vampire could be fun in the right company. Eli noted that though he couldn’t cry he could still laugh, even if their situation was absurdly ridiculous. Oskar had restored the light into the darkness of his life.
snaps
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:32 pm

PART 10 (OPTIONAL)

[I say this part is optional, so you can skip it if you just want to stay with the main story. It provides the rationale for the Valkyrja and some background on Skylar Moon’s past. This would be handled in flashback cameos in the extended version of the story.]

Max took notes on his clipboard. ’Alright, if I may call this meeting to order. Let’s get down to the business in hand. CASE 81/224. “The Blackeberg Affair”, Subject: Case Review Conference, Venue: ‘D Block, Säkerhetspolisen HQ, Stockholm. Date: Sunday 31st October. Time: 16:00 hours. In Attendance: Superintendent Max Blumenthal, Acting Inspector Sandra Birger, Special Agent (Honorary) Skylar Moon.

’Sandra, I know you needed to know more about Skylar’s background. Then we’ll have a period for questions. If we confirm the proposed arrangement, then we will proceed with the Case Review. For the moment, Skylar, over to you.’

’Thank you Max. I’ll give a summary of my background for the benefit of Sandra. Do please, feel free to chip in with questions at any time, or seek clarification, as I go along. Agreed?’

Max and Sandra assented.

’Dr Josef Rudolf Mengele. SS officer. Physician in the German concentration camp Auschwitz-Birkenau. Does the name mean anything to you? ’

’Also know as the Angel of Death, for his grisly, appalling experiments on prisoners, especially children who were inmates.’ Sandra confirmed.

’Quite, and for experiments on twins in particular. He had important professional links with, for example, the Institute for Hereditary Biology and Racial Hygiene in Frankfurt. This, in turn, had key links to the Statens Institut för Rasbiologi, founded in 1922 in Uppsala, Sweden. The State institute was involved in, for example, the forced sterilisation programme against the ethnic Sami people of Northern Sweden.

‘A sad blot on Sweden’s history and reputation.’ added Max.

‘Most important, Mengele had the ear of Reichsführer Heinrich Himmler. Almost sixty years ago to the day, He was given permission to enact a program called ‘Projekt Chakra Thule.’ Ostensibly, it was a humanitarian evacuation programme. By this time, November 1944, the outcome of the War was almost certain defeat for Nazi Germany. Himmler had the support of Reichsmarschall Herman Goering who in turn, had extensive friendly contacts with Sweden, his wife was Swedish, for example.

‘So what was this Chakra Thule idea?’

‘Essentially it was a National Socialist insurance policy. The idea was to select the seed-corn of the new Master race should all other efforts fail. Phase One was to select a cohort of pure Aryans. This was done from mostly young volunteer war widows and orphans, mostly females. They were to be transported to Northern Sweden, where they would live in a deep underground colony. Nazi sympathisers in Sweden cleared the way for this settlement of refugees.’

‘I still don’t get it. How would they survive up there? They have temperatures of minus 20 or even lower during Winter, in the North?’

‘Mengele had been carrying out research into cryogenics. Life suspension, rejuvenation and so on. The idea was to place this phalanx of New Nazis, collectively they are known as “Valkyrja”, into suspended animation. A kind of comatose state.’

‘But they must have survived on something, how did they keep this thing going? How would they feed that number?’

‘Blood. Blood not food is essential to thriving in this condition. Blood has to be regularly recharged. It’s like a form of dialysis. In the cryogenic state this is easy to control as body metabolism is slowed to practically zero. A reborn Valkyjra is the same age on rebirth, as they were on entry into the programme. Call it vampirism if you will. Old terminology, new reality.

What was the problem then? Sandra enquired.

The technology was unproperly tried and tested. They didn’t anticipate the reaction to rebirth. ‘The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry’ Rabbie Burns 1786’.

‘So where do you come into this Skylar? Don’t vampires live forever?’

‘I am a Valkyrja. I am seventeen years old. Without a constant throughput of fresh blood I regress to my chronological age within a year. I really don’t want to be seventy-seven years old right now. Ask yourself this, Sandra, would you prefer to be seventeen years old or seventy-seven?

‘Well, yes I can appreciate that! But will you always be the same age like vampires do in legend, not that I actually believe in vampires.’

‘Understand, that a Valkyrja is like a clock ticking away until someone puts it on hold. When it restarts, then the ageing process continues naturally, providing the cycle of re-processing of blood takes place’.

‘But, but how was this programme kept going all these years?

'On the back of Nazi looted gold. There are also many sympathisers who made this happen. You also need to know , that I haven’t been lazing around around for half a century. During cryogenic hibernation the conscious mind is at rest but the unconscious mind is still active. I have been trained for service in the Valkyrja through a process called ”Hypnogogia”, that’s essentially a deep form of programmed learning that you get wired up to.'

'No wonder you’re a know-it-all then! With sixty years of schooling behind you I can maybe understand your bullish attitude.'

'I enjoyed the modern languages hynogogic programmes, but the interminable Nazi political lectures were a bore. I used to fall into really deep coma, and they’d have to zap me back into line with E.C.T.'

'But what about all these other alleged superpowers that you are supposed to have?'

'Well, partly the Hypnogogia skills programme but also, whilst in this suspended animation we have been genetically modified. For example Gällivare, around the mineworkings of Malmberget in Norrbotten, is a genetic hotspot for congenital insensitivity to pain. That’s an extremely rare disease which inhibits the sensation of pain, heat and cold. Genetic samples were taken and our bodies modified for future military action. We had muscle implants, marrow transfusions, organ transplants, stem cell infusions. Later on came bionics. Anything to perfect us into being what we are.'

'And what is that?' Sandra looked incredulous.

‘Perfect killing machines.’

Sandra’s eyes rolled. ‘Max, this sounds like so much science-fiction.’

‘Wait up, Sandra, listen. Science, yes – fiction, no.’ Max signalled.

‘Sandra. Make no mistake. If it was in my interests to rip your throat out, I would do it here and now. No compunction. We have been trained to overcome the weakness of emotions. I am a your worst nightmare enclothed in flesh.’

Sandra threw up her hands in desperation. ‘Max, this is crazy. How could you buy into all this? We are the Säkerhetspolisen. How could all this be going on under our noses? It doesn’t add up.'

Max suggested ‘Despite all official denials, we now know that the eugenics programme against the Swedish Sami didn’t stop until 1975?’

’Yes but ..’

‘Yes but nothing. SÄPO is rotten to the core, and you know it. We have more enemies on the inside than we have friends on the outside. That’s precisely why I’ve brought in Skylar. He’s a sonofabitch but at least he’s our sonofabitch!’

A tense silence descended. Sandra launched herself from her chair and paced around.

Max attempted to penetrate the gloom. ‘More drinks anyone?’ His invitation was met with stonewalling.

Sandra wheeled on her feet ‘Skylar. Straight question. This case means a lot to me. I don’t need to [spoiler]mess[/spoiler][EDIT] up again. I can’t rest until its solved and we have these two killers, kids, vampires, whatever on the loose. Are you to be trusted?’

Skylar smiled and blinked at her like an infatuated teenager with his new female teacher. ‘Absolutely not! I’m a mercenary. Sandra, believe me I can work with you. There again, would you want a shark as a pet? At least, I think you wouldn’t want to risk swimming with me.’

Sandra give Skylar a withering look. ‘Let’s get back to the present. Take me back to how you two hooked up then and how Skylar can wrap up the operation.’

Max took over.

‘The Madrid train bombings took place on 11th March this year, three days before their General Election. Nearly two hundred killed, nearly two thousand injured. This resulted in political chaos with no one claiming reponsibility and fingers pointing in totally different directions in order to make political capital. Some said al-Qaeda was behind it, others claimed ETA, the Basque separatists were the culprits. The Aznar administration of the Partido Popular was ousted from government, as a reaction to their poor handling of the affair.’

Sandra looked thoughtful. ‘Yes I knew all that, I still read the newspapers you know.’

Max continued. ‘We had the European Elections coming up on June thirteenth. It was always going to be a fraught affair with the main parties being challenged by “the ticket’’ the anti-European Union lobby. We got wind of a plot to carry out an even more devastating attack on the Tunnelbana system here in Stockholm. I was charged with leading the investigation.’

Sandra protested ‘But there wasn’t an attack. I think I would have heard about it.’

Max indicated to Skylar. ‘All thanks to Skylar.’

Sandra looked very sarcastic. ‘Single handed too, I guess.’

Max nodded. ‘To be honest, yes. Our investigation was going nowhere fast. We were totally looking in the wrong direction.

Sandra looked even more incredulous. ‘I suppose, next thing you’re going to tell me is that a group of vampires was behind it? ’

Max and Skylar looked at each other. Max broke the silence. ‘Yes absolutely, and I propose using the Valkyrja input to resolve the Blackeberg case, to nail those Eli and Oskar, Bonny and Clyde characters'.
snaps
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:33 pm

PART 11

Image:Eli leaned against the wire wall of the compound that had been their home for over twenty years. ‘Come on Oskar. Let’s go. Or there will only be one left, and it won’t be you.’

‘Wow Eli, you’ve been out for weeks and you didn’t wake me? Why not?’

‘You looked so peaceful. There was no immediate threat, so I left you resting.’

‘So why did you wake me up now then?’

Eli wore a serious expression. ‘I’ve been finding things out. I realised that we have to move on. It’s not safe now.’

‘What things did you find out? Did you go to a library?’

‘Not exactly. I found a brown overcoat like porter’s wear. It’s a big building. I just wandered around pretending to be cleaning and things.’

‘Didn’t anyone challenge you?’

‘Not really. They all seem busy but friendly. One or two stopped me. I pretended to be Estonian, not speak language good see? Another guy did question me. I just distracted him.’ Eli tapped the side of his head. ‘Mind control.’

‘Wow, I only just got started on that when we went into hibernation.’

‘It’s easy enough. If someone askes you what are you doing, you say something that deosn’t make sense like “Maybe you’re looking in the wrong room?” While they try to work that out you say, “would you like me to get you a coffee?” That confuses them, then you say something like “it’s very easy to get lost” It screws them up and the only thing they remember is the last few words like “… get lost” so you’ve given them a command without making it sound like it.

Oskar giggled ‘That’s cool! I still have a lot to learn. So what other stuff did you find out?.’

‘Well they have these machines now. I don’t understand how it all works. It’s like a typewriter connected to a TV set and a telephone all at the same time. You type stuff in and pictures and pages and things appear on the screen. A nice woman upstairs showed me how to do it.’

‘I wonder if that’s like what they call a computer then? We had one in school.’

‘You have to remember that time has moved on Oskar. The machines are very advanced now, but anyone can use them. They also have these cafes with these machines in, and you can use them. We’ll try one out sometime soon. ’

‘Awww. I can’t wait to have a go!’ Oskar looked excited.

‘Oskar it’s not a game. I learned how to do it, vampires learn fast – they have to. I used to sneak out at nights. Some people are lazy, they leave their machines switched on.’

‘So what did you find out?’

‘Lots of stuff.’

‘What like?’

‘About us.’

‘Well how’s that work?’

‘I don’t know how it works. They have these things called websites where you can look up things like old newspaper articles.’

‘What did they say about us?’

‘Not much, it’s still like a mystery to them and people have mostly forgotten about it by now.’

‘What else did you see.’

‘Well some families have their own websites where they show family photographs and things.’

Oskar pondered. ‘We should go and see my Mama and Papa first thing. My Papa was really helpful to us when we went on the run. I miss my Mama. I know I have a lot of explaining to do but she’ll understand I’m sure.’

Eli looked thoughtfully at Oskar. ‘You have to realise time has moved on. Your Papa is in his mid-fifties, and you Mama in her early fifties too. They are old people now. Things change you know. You can’t just walk in on them like that.’

Oskar looked suspiciously at Eli. ‘You’ve found something out haven’t you.’

Eli smiled. ‘Well yes, and it’s all good news.’

‘Tell me, tell me!’ Oskar jumped excitedly ’Why didn’t you tell me before?’

‘I thought you should find out for yourself, when we get out of here.’

‘Please, tell me now. What’s happened with them.’

‘Oskar, sit down for a minute, calm down and I’ll tell you.’

Oskar squatted on the floor.

‘Well the good news is that our adventure shook your Papa out of his drinking habit. He started to grow up a bit more himself. The shock of everything brought your Mama and Papa closer together. He gave up boozing. She gave up nagging. Now they are both fit and well. They got re-married, and moved out to a place up on the coast. They missed having you around and threw themselves into work. Your Papa has his own garage and repair business. Your Mama owns a general stores in town. They’ve done very well for themselves. Your Papa is even Mayor of the town now. They grow their own vegetables and have a nice big house’.

‘What do they need a big house for? Are they expecting us to visit sometime?’

‘No.’

Oskar had a puzzled frown on his forehead.

‘Oskar, you have an older brother.’

‘No I don’t!’

‘Yes, you do.’

‘Don’t be silly. They’d have told me if I’d had an older brother ’

‘They had another baby boy, sixteen years ago. He’s healthy, and doing well in school.’

Oskar looked shocked. ‘What’s his name?’

‘Oskar.’

‘Yes? What?’

‘No. I mean that’s his name. His name is Oskar.’

Oskar laughed ‘No, that can’t be right. I’m Oskar.’

‘It is the truth. I found all this out on their family website.’

The truth hit Oskar like a truck. He flew into a tantrum. ‘How could they! I’m Oskar. How can you just give up on one, then have another and call him the same name.’

‘Oskar, calm down.’

‘No I won’t!’ His tantrum turned to rage. ‘Well I hate him already. And I hate them. And I hate you for telling me!’

‘Please.’

‘No I won’t. I’ll pay this new Oskar a visit and then there won’t be two of us after that. ’

‘Be reasonable.’

Oskar pounded his fist into his other hand. ‘It’s clear to me. They called him Oskar because they wanted to start again and forget all about me.’

‘I don’t think so. I believe they called him Oskar because they wanted to remember you. His full name is Oskar-Elias. I think they wanted a daily reminder of us, the lost ones.’

After a tense pause, Oskar recovered his composure. ‘I still hate you for telling me.’

Eli leaned against the wire wall of the compound that had been their home for over twenty years. ‘Come on Oskar. Let’s go. Or there will only be one left, and it won’t be you.’

The exchanged looks between them were taut as razor wire.

Oskar picked himself up. ‘So, where are we going?’

‘I told you. It’s time for us to leave here.’

Oskar was not convinced. ‘How are we going to get out?’

‘The same way we came in. From the roof of this big building. When we get there, we scale down the walls, unless you’re up to flying?’

‘It’s been such a long time. I don’t know if I even have the will to try flying anymore. Why can’t we just walk straight out of here?’

Eli pointed to the large doors at the far end of the warehouse. ‘Those doors are alarmed. I’ve tried to disable the alarms but I can’t.’

Eli waved to one side of the warehouse wall. The sound of humming motor fans was coming from this direction. ‘Next to the generators is a maintenance hatch. From there are ducts and flues that lead all the way to the roof. That’s how we got into the building and worked our way down here.’

‘Are we going back the same way?’

‘No, we have something to do here first, on another floor. This time we are going out in a more civilised way. Next to the ducts is a service elevator. They use it for moving furniture and boxes around, that kind of thing.’

Oskar nodded, still rather bewildered. He wondered for the first time in over twenty years, if he could still trust Eli.
snaps
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:35 pm

PART 12

Max held up his hand. ‘If I may resume and re-direct our attention? Sandra, you will be familiar with the activities of the “Nationalsocialistisk Front and Svenska Motståndsrörelsen” from the time you worked here’.

‘Yes, but all those white power groups are a bunch of cowboys. Grown men who like dressing up as Nazis at weekends, singing songs round camp-fires and getting drunk. They couldn’t organise something on the scale you’re talking about.’

Skylar intervened. ‘Have you heard of an organisation called the Nordic Folk Union? Those people have money behind them. Their policies make the Nationalsocialistisk Front and Svenska Motståndsrörelsen look like woolly liberals in comparison.’

‘Yes, but aren’t they just a crackpot group of retired academics who are bitter because they didn’t get promotion or something, plus a few twisted businessmen.’

‘The NFU want to establish a separate Union of Nordic countries based on National Socialist principles, in competition with the European Union. For Nordic Union, read Greater Nordic Reich ’.

‘So? They’re just another set of cranks, except they know how to read and write.’

‘The Valkyrja are Nazis directly affiliated to the NFU. The Valkyrja sent out an Einsatz Kommando Unit to carry out the Tunnelbanna operation. A trained elite all-female squad of reborn Valkyrja.’

‘And I suppose the Valkrja would claim responsibility for it, striking terror into the heart of the nation. At least they would if they all looked like Christmas fairies the way you do!’

Skylar let out a low throaty growl of disapproval and looked thunderously at Sandra.

Max was outraged. ‘Sandra, get on board, and show some respect for our guest! You haven’t heard the whole story yet.’

Skylar drew a long breath, and calmed himself. ‘No. The incident was rigged to be blamed on immigrants and al-Qaeda. The NFU incidentally is running the largest operation of illegal immigration into Sweden.’

Sandra shook her head. ‘But that would totally counter-intuitive. They hate immigrants. That would be crazy. This whole thing is just nuts, Max!’

Max responded. ‘Don’t you see. That’s the whole point. They want to achieve critical mass with their chosen scapegoat, so they can kick off their Nazi revolution.’

‘OK then, what happened with the Tunnelbana operation. I suppose Skylar just walked in off the street one day, and croaked like a frog’.

‘Money and influence buys information Sandra. You were a SÄPO agent long enough to know that.’

There was a lull. Skylar studied his own nails, which had only just retracted from his being riled by Sandra.

Max picked up the thread. ‘Skylar used his own skills, knowledge and contacts to locate the Valkyrja Kommando group. We were looking in all the wrong places above ground. The Valkrja were already in deep cover on the Tunnelbana system. Underground is a natural habitat for them. Skylar even led the attack. Just as well. Those kids fight to the end. They are conditioned to blow themselves apart if they fail. That’s what happened.’

‘How come any of this didn’t make into into the media?’

‘As Skylar has mentioned. When a Valkyrja dies, the cadavre quickly decomposes to their chronological age. We were left with the dismembered corpses of septuagenarian ladies. It wouldn’t have made good publicity if we had the press report that all the resources of SÄPO couldn’t defeat a group of eight suicide bomber grannies, that it took one freakin’ vampire to do the job!’

‘I’d like Skylar’s personal take on this. He’s supposedly a Valkrja and a Nazi?’

‘Ex-Nazi, Sandra. That’s how I was raised.’

‘So what happened? Didn’t the Schutzstaffel SS uniform suit your sartorial taste? ’

Max heaved a sigh of desperation. Skylar’s voice crackled like ice as he explained.

‘In a nutshell. It was Summer of 1944. I lived with my mother and twin-sister. I attended military academy. My father was a full colonel in the Abwher Military Intelligence. He was NOT a Nazi. We heard he had been killed in action. My Swedish mother had arranged for my sister to be selected for the Valkyrja evacuation programme to Sweden. Of course none of us knew then what it was all going to be apart, being compulsorily comatised for sixty years was not on my list of priorities. Dr Josef Mengele in charge of the experimental programme found out I was a twin. He had me released from school and shipped out with my sister, Sanne. My odd female version of the spelling of first name was a simple administrative error. I stuck with it as I felt it suited me.’

‘You still haven’t explained how you came to be a deserter.’

‘Firstly, I became totally disillusioned with the Nazi ideology. I am a rugged individualist, a free-thinking libertarian. Any totalitarian concepts are anathema to me. Secondly, as you may ascertain from my attire and demeanour, my personal needs, proclivities, and orientation aren’t exactly standard-issue Nazi Aryan lifestyle.’

‘And that’s it?’

‘No. My third overriding reason is personal. I absolutely worshipped my father. He was a good military man, well-respected by his men. We were told he had been killed in action. Since my Valkyrja re-birth, I have done some research of my own. My father was killed by a bullet to the back of the head in a Gestapo prison. He had become involved in the July plot to assassinate Adolf Hitler. They couldn’t afford the bad publicity of executing a decorated war hero, so they simply covered it up. That, was the final straw for me.’

‘What became of your sister.’

‘She died.’

‘I’m sorry.’

‘Don’t be. She was a Nazi fanatic.’

Max intervened. ‘Sanne Moon took her own life during the July Tunnel-bana operation. She was an Einsatz Kommando.’

The implications settled in on Sandra. ‘You mean you traded in the life of your own twin-sister to secure your freedom?’

Skylar sat stone-faced. Max shuffled uncomfortably.

Sandra looked aghast. ‘So what was the deal, Max?’

Max coughed. ‘Skylar was granted immunity for his previous er… misdemeanours. In return for assisting us with the Nazi hunting programme he is paid on a consultancy basis as an adopted Special Agent.’

‘I think we are missing something here. If you no longer have the backing of the Valkyrja organisation, how do you get your lifeline support?’

Max appeared embarrassed. ‘Skylar has a prescribed blood transfusion at the Södersjukhuset clinic. One litre every three months.’

‘It’s barely enough to keep me going.’ Skylar protested.

‘Think of it as being like a Methodone programme for an addict.’ Max added.

Sandra looked appalled. ‘And what do you think the good citizens of Stockholm would make of their valuable blood bank supplies being used to sustain a vampire?’

‘I don’t know. Go ask the thousand or so that would have died in the T-bana plot, what they think.’ Skylar suggested.

‘Tell me Skylar, do you ever feel tempted to supplement your diet? If sufficient blood can keep you ageing naturally, does an extra infusion keep you in stasis. I imagine you would prefer to be a seventeen-year old for some years to come. ’

Skylar sat silent, impassive.

Max cut in. ‘Sandra do you know how many bodies are dragged out of the Mälaren each year, or the back street deaths of people lying in the snow: whores, junkies, winos, derelicts. Do you think anyone really gives a dump about how they met their end?’

A long pause ensued.

Skylar broke the frozen atmosphere. ‘I have one question, and it’s a pretty big one. This case you asking me to assist with: CASE 81/224. “The Blackeberg Affair”. What exactly is the Nazi connection? I don’t see it.’

Max shrugged his heavy shoulders. ‘I don’t know that there is one. It just seemed like the kind of case you could bring your expertise to bear.’

‘I’m sorry Max. I’m a Nazi-hunter. This isn’t the deal. According to your briefing, the case is about two kids, possibly with a vampire connection. I don’t hold anything against them personally. I mean I can choose not to be a Nazi, I can’t choose NOT to be a vampire. What if I’m not prepared to work with Inspector Birger?’

Max looked flustered.

Sandra was outraged. ‘Why, you arrogant little nobody. You have an obligation to work on whatever case you are directed to assist with. A little gratitude would be appropriate.

Skylar got up and made for the door.

Max called after him. ‘Wait up. Let’s not be hasty. It’s getting a little tense here. Skylar give me five to talk with Sandra, Take a breather, then we’ll see where we go on this Eli and Oskar case.’

Skylar leaned against the outside of the door.

Sandra appeared. ‘A little privacy please. Go take a walk.’

Skylar slouched off. The door slammed behind him. Halfway down the corridor he turned around with a smirk on his face. The top ends of his ears craned over like a cats, listening intently to Max and Sandra. Something distracted him for a moment. His nose twitched and nostrils flared. He looked up at the ceiling as he caught the unmistakable musk scent of vampire company nearby. He licked his lips and grinned.
snaps
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:38 pm

PART 13

Skylar Moon held his attention on the disturbing vampire traces that irritated his senses. Were there other vampires working for SÄPO? Had there been another Valkyrja in the building recently? He needed to proceed with caution. The Valkyrja were sworn to carry out revenge against him, for his betrayal over the T-Bana Operation.

As he stood in the corridor down from Superintendent Max Blumenthal’s office at SÄPO HQ, he redirected his ultra-sonic hearing toward the conversation going on inside with Inspector Sandra Birger.

‘Well?’ Max said curtly, ‘do you want Skylar on board or not? I get the feeling you are considerably less than one hundred percent committed?’

Sandra looked at him grimly. ‘I’m sorry Max. I just know having worked with you so many years how you can get taken for a ride. I believe you’re relying too heavily on Skylar Moon.’

Max was equally curt. ‘I have the ability to think outside-the-box which you don’t. Maybe that’s why I made it to Superintendent and you never did?’

‘Well perhaps Max, if you had been a little more cautious with your approach to things you might have become Divisional Commander?’

Max smacked his fist into an open hand. He resumed his formal position behind his office desk, while Sandra, resignedly, flopped back into an armchair.

Sandra broke the chilled atmosphere. ‘I don’t buy into this explanation Skylar gives about using his special powers to hunt down the T-Bana Kommando group. Hey, you know what? I think he was probably sent down here as Einsatz leader to plan and carry out the terrorist attack. He simply led you straight to them by betraying them when it suited his purposes.’

Max was impatient. ‘Who cares? The outcome was the same. I go by results not theories. Skylar delivers.’

‘Max I’ll do a deal. I’ll work with Skylar on this ‘’Blackeberg Affair’’ absolutely, all the way. If you will allow me to carry out a secret independent review of his activities.’

Max thought hard. ‘Ok but with what measure in mind if you find out he’s not been playing us straight?’

‘Simply, cancel his immunity from prosecution and withdraw his privileges. He won’t last long without his SÄPO supplied blood transfusions. He’ll have to kill. If he does, we rope him in, but I think we won’t need to get our hands dirty. The Valkyrja if they exist on the level he claims, want him dead for his treachery. SÄPO needn’t become involved. They’ll do the work for us.’

Max scratched his head. ‘OK. Done deal. Now let’s get focussed.’

Outside, down the far end of the corridor, Skylar scowled with contempt at what his burning ears were picking–up. This Sandra Birger woman was a dangerous threat. She must be dealt with “appropriately” when the opportunity presented itself.

Max suddenly appeared at his door. He was beaming a smile. A traitor’s grin. ‘Hey Skylar, come back, we’re agreed, and its all systems go!’

Skylar paced down the corridor casually. He resumed his carefully studied composure and civility. ‘Thank you Papa. I’m looking forward to working with Sandra, and seeing that we all get our just desserts from this “Blackeberg Affair”. Let’s kick-ass!’ He resumed his position in an armchair opposite Sandra. He glared at her, out-of-sight of Max, and gently stroked his nose with his middle finger.

Skylar launched in. ‘I’d like to ascertain an idea of the last contact you had with the suspects, if that’s alright. The report does seem more than a little hazy.’ He coughed in Sandra’s direction.

‘As I recall, and Max will bear me out on this as he was there as my Case Assistant.’ Max nodded assent. ‘The assailants were on-the-run from mid-November 1981. We suspected the boy’s father had been giving them shelter, up in Lagaro, but we couldn’t prove anything for sure. No tracks, no evidence of anyone staying at his home, no extra cutlery and crockery. We double checked with the provisions stores he used and there was no evidence of him having ordered extra food or anything.’

Skylar tapped the side of his head. ‘Interesting. Do carry on.’

‘The trail went cold. A possible sighting was made back in Stockholm towards the end of December. But again, no proof positive, the photographic equipment used to take pictures must have been faulty.’

Max’s phone rang, ‘Excuse me on second.’

Sandra and Skylar waited for Max. He appeared to be irritated. ‘That was Johan Skepp down in reception.’

Sandra butted in, ‘Yes I saw him when I came in of course. But I thought Skepp was a field agent?

‘Was.’ Max shook his head. ’Bad case of post-traumatic stress disorder. He was on the frontline in the T-Bana Operation. Never fully recovered. Nerves shot to pieces. I got him a desk job in reception to see out the time until his retirement. Now he can’t handle reception even. He claims someone used the service elevator, but I told him no-one from here has. Apart from us, in this block, there’s Skepp and two civilian security staff down in reception. There’s just two duty staff and two radio comms operators in an office on the second floor’.

‘Could it be the second floor people? What will they be doing?’

‘If I know them right, they’ll be whileing away the time playing poker. Let’s get back to business.’

Sandra resumed. ‘By mid-January, we had arranged a deal with the boy’s Mother. She would arrange to meet the two kids in a park near Blackeberg. We bogus promised a possible pardon if they would turn themselves in.’

‘And was that really the agenda?’ Sandra felt the sharpness of Skylar’s stare.

‘As if it was. I had the park surrounded by hidden snipers and undercover guys. They were ruthless killers. One false move and we could have taken them out for evading arrest. That’s when the kids showed up, from nowhere,just out-of-the-blue. They approached the boy’s mother and me sitting by a park bench drinking from thermos flasks. A mother’s intuition, I don’t know, call it what you will. The boy picked up on something not being right and froze in his tracks. I was about to give the signal for the put-down. That’s when I caught the girl’s eyes. It was as if she was inside my head. I’ll never forget the cold callous look in her eyes’.

‘Go on, what happened next?’

‘They turned tail and ran like the animals that they are. I’ve never seen anyone move so fast. They took off across a field, in the snow. I’ve never seen tracks like it, they were practically leaping and bounding like a couple of deer on the run. They were running for a wood on the edge of the park. That’s when it happened.’

‘What?’

‘The tracks .. just … disappeared’.

Skylar remained silent. He just nodded and smirked. This was the confirmation he needed.
snaps
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:40 pm

Thanks everyone. I will get it in on here then if people are still following. I've at least started to get the final section down in writing now, after its been festering in my head for several weeks. Ewww! OK, this bit now, then the next section (will prolly post on Saturday) will see the two threads of this story merge by the end. :geek:

PART 14

Eli and Oskar made their way up, in silence, from the basement of the strange building. From inside a locker in the Decontamination Unit, Eli had retrieved two pairs of protective tinted goggles which they wore, so Oskar could become adjusted to the brighter lights. From the service elevator, they stepped out gingerly into the corridor on the first floor. They slunk down to the fire escape staircase, and tip-toed up the stairs.

‘Eli ..’ Oskar’s voice echoed off the plain plastered walls.

‘Sssshhhh!’

Eli tapped the side of his head.

‘Errr … OK.’ <Sorry, I mean OK>

Eli nodded, and was thankful that Oskar’s telepathic communication skills had not totally deserted him.

<So what else did you get to find out on the outside?>

<Mmm nothing much. I made some contact with some black people, they gave me the link to Skylar Moon.>

<Black people! Eli, I don’t know if I like black people.>

<Oskar you dummy, you’ve never even met a black person.>

<I know. But everyone knows they’re not like us.>

Eli screwed up his face <Oskar get adjusted, this isn’t 1981. There are lots of black people out there on the streets now.>

<Why do you need to talk to black people? They scare me.>

Eli slapped Oskar a short tight tap. ‘Oskar understand.’ <I mean, Oskar understand. If Swedish people don’t like black people, what do you think they make of us?>

Oskar looked puzzled.

<Get it through your head Oskar. WE are an ethnic minority. We have to work together with everyone else who is oppressed.>

Oskar tried to take in the implications of the Brave New World he was now living in.

Eli attempted to explain <There are some people in Stockholm from an island in the Caribbean called Montserrat. They came here via England after their place got blowed up in a volcano explosion. They are really cool. They know all about Voodoo magic, Zombie defence, and culture from Africa. I’ve been talking to them, getting some ideas.>

<I still don’t understand what this has to do with us?>

<Because Oskar, we are up against the Valkyrja. We need everything going for us that we can find, or else we are roadkill.>

Oskar thought on. He gave Eli a big smile, and hug for reassurance. <Sorry. I guess you’re right. I don’t even know why I said those things about black people. Maybe I got those ideas off my Papa. I don’t know what I’m saying half the time. Just make allowances for me. It’s hard. I have a lot to learn yet. I don’t care, black or white, any friend of yours is a friend of mine.>

<Oskar, just do me one favour, now.>

<What’s that?>

<Shut up.>

Oskar and Eli stepped down the corridor. Eli turned the door handle to one room. It was dark inside but the light from Eli’s eyes were like pencil beam torches. It looked like a map room. It was a large room, with big tables set out. He pointed to a map. <That’s where we are are now, Kungsholmen. We need to get out of here.>

Oskar nodded without knowing why. Eli got down on the floor under one table. He reclined and pressed his ear to the floor.

‘Eli are you going to sleep?’

<Shhhhsh!‘> came Eli’s rebuke. <Oskar!>

<What!?>

<Shut up.>

<What are you doing?>

<I’m listening.>

Oskar leaned over a map table with his back turned to Eli. Eli, who he now seemed to fall out with so easily. With his fingertip he marked a route. In his mind he was driving a car. Kungsholmen, over the Traneberg bridge, then on to Blackeberg. He wondered if the place had altered. Would he still recognise it? Would people there still recognise him? Then the truth struck home, once again. They had all moved on over twenty years, while he was still a twelve-year-old. Without Eli, he knew he would feel very alone.
snaps
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:41 pm

PART 15

Skylar watched her like a hawk, as Sandra Birger continued the account. Her botched January 1982 attempt to corner Eli and Oskar.

‘Of course, as soon as they ran for it, we soon got the wood surrounded, and called in tactical support.’

Max Blumenthal chipped in. ‘I was in one of two helicopters. We had thermal imaging cameras on board, and kept criss-crossing the woods. OK, they weren’t as sophisticated as they are now but they should have shown up something. Nothing. All we could see was our own guys going round and round in circles.’

‘Interesting.’ Skylar remained non-commital.

Sandra resumed. ‘We had the wood circled by a ring of steel for three days. Made megaphone appeals for them to give up. Nothing. Zilch. It was a bitterly cold winter with heavy snow that year. There was no way they could have survived the temperatures. The crazy thing was, they didn’t even seem to be dressed in outside clothing. Anyway we moved in.’

‘Then what?’

‘Absolutely nothing. No tracks, just animal tracks in the snow. No evidence of camping gear. We went over the ground with tracker dogs, nothing. We expected them to be dead perhaps buried under snow. We took in methane probes, everything forensic we could. Drew an absolute blank. There was only one conclusion that we could draw.’

‘What was that?’

‘We knew the girl was a thief. Jewellery and suchlike. We assumed that they had bribed someone on the inside to turn a blind eye while they escaped. Of course we interviewed and shook down all the staff involved in the operation, but we didn’t get a squeak. That girl must have offered one heck of a payoff to the corrupt bastard who threw the operation.’

‘There is another conclusion you could have drawn.’

‘Like what?’

‘That they were vampires.’

Sandra could barely restrain herself from punching Skylar. The tense atmosphere was puctuated by another call from Officer Skepp in reception. Max took out his frustration by yelling back down the ‘phone at Skepp.

‘What is it now?’

Max was rubbing his forehead. ‘Skepp, the fool. I should never have let him do a duty on Hallowe ‘en. He thinks he’s seeing ghosts. He says the corridor motion detection sensors were tripped off on the fourth floor. He’s checked the CCTV footage. He says it shows the end fire doors swinging open but no-one coming through. All he can see is some electric crackle and fuzz on the tape.’

Skylar looked lost in thought. Sandra appeared frustrated by the interruption.

Max brightened. ‘Skylar. We should have shown you this before. It’s from the oriinal crime scene in Blackeberg. Maybe you can pick up something on this.’ He opened the freeze-box and pulled out the red top, still in its plastic wrapping. He handed it to Skylar who proceeded to open the package.

‘Aren’t you going to at least wear latex gloves?’ Sandra cautioned in an irritated manner.

‘I don’t need to. For one thing, Valkyrja don’t sweat. For another, I don’t have any fingerprints.’ He waved his fingers in a crude fashion at Sandra.

‘Oh that’s a recent thing in the drug-dealing community. Burn off your fingertip prints with acid.’ Sandra looked unimpressed.

'That's not a very nice thing to say, is it?' Skylar contained his resentment, but got up and paced around. He held the red top to his cheek and fondled it like a small child with a comforter blanket.

‘Oh Max. You should have shown me this before. It feels very warm to me.’

Sandra cut in. ‘Warm? You’ve just taken out it of a freezer box!’

Skylar looked witheringly at Sandra. His nostrils flared and arched as he caressed it, breathing in deeply and exhaling. ‘It speaks to me. It is the voice of Lacke.’

The eyes in Sandra’s head rolled. Even she was not prepared for what was to come next.

Skylar extended his long tongue to its considerable extended length. He proceeded to furrow the garment with his tongue as if he were minstering cunnilingus. Sandra’s stomach turned as she observed this performance, and choked with revulsion at what she saw, as Skylar prised bits of dried blood and fluids of the garment, with his sharp teeth. His eyes became glazed for a moment. He placed the garment to one side as his tongue flicked in and out like a snake tasting the air for clues. Then he paced the length of the office, looking up towards the ceiling.

Max mopped his sweating brow with a handkerchief. ‘What is it Skylar? You’re onto something aren’t you? I can tell!’

Skylar looked triumphant, although all he said was, ‘They’re here’.

Max jumped in first. ‘You mean in Stockholm?’

Skylar looked like he was a struggling teacher dealing with a class of idiots. ‘No. I mean they’re here.’

Sandra threw up her hands ‘So what does that mean, they’re in Kungsholmen? Nice try. You don’t convince me.’

Skylar patiently drew breath. He pointed at Max and Sandra. ‘It’s 1982. You are Oskar and Eli. Where do you go?’

Max ventured ‘Err, get the heck out of Sweden cause SÄPO is on your trail!’

Skylar shook his head ‘That isn’t an option. So where do you hide?’

Sandra seemed more interested now. ‘Well obviously, out in the country.’

‘No, no, no.’ Max jumped in. ‘Must be a city, people in the country pick up strangers, more anonymous in town.’

‘You’re getting closer.’ Skylar was enjoying seeing his bosses twist and turn. Max and Sandra’s faces were blank.

Skylar let them off the hook. ‘What’s the last place on Earth that SÄPO are going to look for Eli and Oskar?’

Max and Sandra still looked dumbfounded. Skylar looked hard at Max. He pointed to the ceiling. ‘What’s up there?’

Max was flustered. ‘Err, err .. conference rooms … planning rooms, map rooms.’

Skylar wrung his thin fine artist’s hands in an attitude of prayer. ‘When I say they’re here … what I mean is …. THEY ARE HERE!!’

‘Don’t be ridiculous,’ Sandra said dismissively.

‘You mean …?’ Max was like a slow, open-mouthed goldfish.

Without further ado, Skylar leapt on to Max’s desk. He reached up and pushed aside a section of false ceiling. He let out an extended high pitched Valkyrja war-cry. Max and Sandra trembled at having their ear-drums assaulted. Skylar terminated his call to arms by shouting up into the ceiling cavity, ‘I can’t see you but I can sense you, and now I’m coming to GET YOU!

Even Max and Sandra felt instantly converted when they heard the clopping of small feet, as Oskar and Eli bolted for the door of the Map Room.
snaps
Crew Member

Next

Return to Anything else