Ian/Fish/Aussies generally

Discuss anything on your mind, with focus on films and music though.

Moderator: Ian

Ian/Fish/Aussies generally

Postby DMt. » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:36 pm

I worry about you guys [in which I also obviously include girls] in these brutal temperatures - are you getting through OK? What's the immediate/near-term prospect?
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
DMt.
Crew Member

Re: Ian/Fish/Aussies generally

Postby fish » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:39 am

Thanks for your words of concern Dave but we manage to cope pretty well.

The heat is really only a factor for a couple of months in summer, the rest of the year is probably a bit warmer than you're used to but days in the 20°- 30° range are great.
I guess it's what we're used to.

Of greater concern at the moment are the bushfires in New South Wales, Victoria and Tasmania. No reports of lives lost but major damage to a number of towns in Tas, and over 100 seperate fire in NSW alone. My state of South Australia seems to have escaped any major fires (so far), even though the heat has been intense.

Here's an example.
I have a friend who w*rks on a two weeks on / two weeks off basis at the Moomba gas fields in the north-east of SA. He sent a couple of pics taken at his accommodation unit on Friday two weeks ago when it reached 45° in Adelaide.

Image Image

All of a sudden 45° didn't seem so bad. :shock:

Air conditioning is pretty well a must during summer but the brutal winters you suffer are unknown here.
What we think of as "really cold" is anytime it gets below 15° during the day. :roll:

As I said, "It's what we're used to". *:)*
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:28 am

50, bloody hell!

We're not up to that in Townsville though it is bloody hot and, despite having supposedly been the rainy season since December - which takes off some of the humidity - its rained precisely once so far. :roll:

Air conditioning and fans, Dave. Lots and lots of fans. :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby DMt. » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:22 pm

It was pretty much the bushfire/unusual heat thing I was on about, so I'm glad you're coping.

As you rightly note we're in line for equally brutal cold here!
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby katka » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:49 pm

:shock: :shock: OMG! poor people in other side of earth :?
katka
Crew Member

Return to Anything else