favourite book

Discuss anything on your mind, with focus on films and music though.

Moderator: Ian

Postby Anny » Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:03 pm

Hey! I thought after we had a discussion about favourite films and music i make a new topic for favourite books!

For me the best book i've ever read is "THE LITTLE PRINCE" by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (btw the book on place 3 of most selled books ever!!) allthough the book is not very long the story is soooooooooo beautyful!!!

I'll give you a short summary of it:
A pilot has an accident in the Sahara and there he meets the little prince. After a while the auther notices that he could learn a lot from the little prince who came to earth because of his trouble with a rose which lives on his home planet B-612. Before he meets the author, he makes friends with a fox, who tells him the most impotant secret ever: "One can see only clearly with the heart; the essential is invisible to the eyes"

This is one of the books one MUST have read!!! You could also read it in swedish ;) it was translated in almost 200 languages and dialects! (of course it's most beautyful in french with is the original language :ph34r: )

If you've read it too please tell me you opinion!! If you've not read it: go on www.amazon.com and buy it!!! (you get it under 10$!)

* ENJOY *
name: annika
d.o.b.: 08 sep 1987
sex: female
sexuality: lesbian
Anny
Crew Member

Postby Sphinx » Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:51 pm

I've read this book.In Poland we sort of have to do it because it's a book to be read at school so it's compulsory.It's a beautiful and touching story about love and friendship.It has also some delicate kind of magic.I really enjoyed it!

I can't choose my fav books because there are too many of them so I'mm write some on my fav writers.
1.Thomas Harris
2.John Grisham
3.Graham Masterton
4.Stephen King
5.Some Polish writers
6.One writer from my childhood Lucy Maud Montgomery "Anne of the green gables" that rocks!
"Teach me passion for I fear it's gone. Show me love, hold the lorn. So much more I wanted to give to the ones who love me. I'm sorry. Time will tell (this bitter farewell). I live no more to shame nor me nor you. And you...I wish I didn't feel for you anymore..."
Sphinx
Crew Member

Postby MahaRishiSriSriX » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:22 pm

Murakami Haruki - Hitsuji wo meguru böken
Nick Hornby - Fever Pitch
??? - The Mahabharata
The Edda
and, my all-time fav: the bible

you see, i'm into religion
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<br>___!!!male!!!___<br>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<br>(männlich, varón, <br>maschio, homme, <br>karlmaður...)
MahaRishiSriSriX
Gold Member

Postby Anny » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:38 pm

Aha... have you read "the little prince"? It's kind of religion too! You surely know this quote: "Man sieht nur mir dem Herzen gut; das Wesentliche ist für die Augen unsichtbar" i call it the 151th psalm ;)
Anny
Crew Member

Postby styvisor » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:49 pm

At the moment I've started reading The Occult by Colin Wilson, So I'll say that's my favourite book at the moment ;)

Some of my favourite writers though are as follows:

JRR Tolkien
Terry Pratchett
Raymond E Feist
Harry Turtledove
Stephen King
styvisor
Crew Member

Postby Sphinx » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:42 pm

MahaRishiSriSriX wrote:

Yeah You are but the question is how....(don't expect the answer ;) )
"Teach me passion for I fear it's gone. Show me love, hold the lorn. So much more I wanted to give to the ones who love me. I'm sorry. Time will tell (this bitter farewell). I live no more to shame nor me nor you. And you...I wish I didn't feel for you anymore..."
Sphinx
Crew Member

Postby Anni » Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:34 pm

The Fateful Adventures of the Good Soldier Svejk During the World War by Jaroslav Haðek is one of my favourite books. In fact it was extremely popular in a mighty soviet army. It was declared as forbidden literature by the high commands of the army because soldiers used to transfer nicknames from the book to their bosses. It's a must read if you haven't done it already. It's thrillingly hilarious.
Anni
Silver Member

Postby Anni » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:21 pm

Thanks Anny now i know the next book i'll take from library :)
I like Virgina Woolf. It's no easy reading but i find her style beautiful.
When i was a kid i liked swedish books for children. Astrid Lindgren (she's still one of my favourite writers and i pick up her books occasionally even today), Tove Jansson, S. Lagerlöf... I even read Lagerlöfs "The Wonderful Adventures of Nils Holgersson" again last summer :) It gives a good rewiev about Sweden.
Anni
Silver Member

Postby Sphinx » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:09 pm

I'm reading now "Plague" by Albert Camus and I found onw beautiful quote.

"Love demands a bit of future, and we had only a moment." :(
Sphinx
Crew Member

Postby MahaRishiSriSriX » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:09 pm

Sphinx wrote:
MahaRishiSriSriX wrote:

Yeah You are but the question is how....(don't expect the answer ;) )

sorry, i didn't get what you meant.
the plague, i got it too, but never read it. isn't it boring?

and yep, i know the little prince. it's ok
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<br>___!!!male!!!___<br>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<br>(männlich, varón, <br>maschio, homme, <br>karlmaður...)
MahaRishiSriSriX
Gold Member

Postby Anny » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:38 pm

Ok?! Naja, it's your taste... but try to read it in french or so! That's fun :lol: i would also like to read it in finnish! I already know what sunset means... ;)
Anny
Crew Member

Postby MahaRishiSriSriX » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:51 pm

no chance, my french is too bad.
what's sunset in finnish?
MahaRishiSriSriX
Gold Member

Postby Anny » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:08 pm

auringonlasku means sunset ;)
Anny
Crew Member

Postby Sphinx » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:37 pm

The Plague is very interesting to me...I don't know about your taste but it's about different point of views on death among people who have to deal with it each day and there are also some interestng views at religion, beliefes and lack of it.

and I just wanted to ask are you interested in religion as a sort of science issue or You simply believe...
Sphinx
Crew Member

Postby Narcissus » Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:16 pm

Getting back to topic:

My fave book is 'Rainbow Six' by Tom Clancy, he's such an amazing writer, if you like a good suspence/action book then look no further.

Though I'm treading into a warzone about religion and philosophy so I might catch a bullet if I'm lucky, im sure this post will go unobserved anyway.
Last edited by Narcissus on Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Name: Will
D.O.B: 22/03/88
Sexuality: Bisexual
http://myspace.com/willthepom
Narcissus
Crew Member

Next

Return to Anything else