films with gay topics

Discuss anything on your mind, with focus on films and music though.

Moderator: Ian

films with gay topics

Postby Anny » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:14 am

ok, we all know that films mostly have nothing to do with reality... but i think because of the fact, that most films who have main characters who are gay end in tragedy, somebody wants us to believe that there is nothing about being gay... that it's just a good effect to make people go to the cinema and forget about this problem the minute they leave the hall... i don't know how to say that (my english... i know...) honestly i think, FA isn't what one would call a "gay film"... i think it's something deeper (which is good of course!) i don't know how to explain... and actually i don't know what i'm talking about... but i felt like i shout do this post *löl* well, maybe you get what i mean...
name: annika
d.o.b.: 08 sep 1987
sex: female
sexuality: lesbian
Anny
Crew Member

Postby Kolya » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:01 am

I got the same feeling when watching Lost & Delirious. The only person who is somewhat different in this movie gets ... well disposed off. But I don't think this is a rule. Any movies you were referring to specifically?
Kolya
Gold Member

Postby Sphinx » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:37 am

but usually gays movies are about love and tragic love sales better...and comedies most of them don't show the issue in a proper way...you know what i mean how gay people are shown in that kind of movies...tradic love has something mystical...better to watch it than go through it by yourself... :wink:
"Teach me passion for I fear it's gone. Show me love, hold the lorn. So much more I wanted to give to the ones who love me. I'm sorry. Time will tell (this bitter farewell). I live no more to shame nor me nor you. And you...I wish I didn't feel for you anymore..."
Sphinx
Crew Member

Postby Anny » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:53 pm

yes... that's why i like sad films more than those where you know from the beginning that it will have a happy ending... but i think (not to speak about FA in this case!) the makers don't want us to know the truth about this topic... i think it's a great chance for a film maker to bring it closer to people that they realize, that those people who are in the film exsist in reality too! i guess many people think it's so far away or actually don't exsist at all! (like fantasy figures or something) i think that's sad... and as long as they give these massages to films like that it won't be better in future :?
Anny
Crew Member

Postby Sphinx » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:15 pm

Wait till I'll make my first movie it will be as real as possible:) 8) :D wanna play in it?!:) hehe...but honestly i want to be a director so maybe one day i'll make something that will help people realise, that it's not just a topic of the film but life:)
"Teach me passion for I fear it's gone. Show me love, hold the lorn. So much more I wanted to give to the ones who love me. I'm sorry. Time will tell (this bitter farewell). I live no more to shame nor me nor you. And you...I wish I didn't feel for you anymore..."
Sphinx
Crew Member

Postby Anny » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:16 pm

oh thank you sphinx! :wink: i guess you'll do a great job! :)
Anny
Crew Member

Postby darkleon » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:47 am

what the hell!
whats the fuzz about gaymovies here?!

someone gay here?!?!?!?
darkleon
Gold Member

Postby Kolya » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:48 am

I thought it was pretty obvious ... Image

Anny you dislike movies where gays end in tragedy and you dislike foreseeable happy endings too. You like to be surprised?
Kolya
Gold Member

Postby Sphinx » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:33 am

darkleon wrote:what the hell!
whats the fuzz about gaymovies here?!

someone gay here?!?!?!?

and You hetero get away!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: ...

you know les* is more 8)
Sphinx
Crew Member

Postby darkleon » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:15 pm

Sphinx wrote:and You hetero get away!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: ...

FUCK! now i'm outed....everybody here will hate me now!

Sphinx wrote:you know les* is more 8)

hehe yeah sweety, of course! :twisted:
*softly stroking your head* everything will be aaaaaaalright :-P
darkleon
Gold Member

Postby Anny » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:19 pm

@ kolya: yeah i like to be surprised, but that was not my point :)

when i see films like "titanic" for example the love has a much stronger meaning when one of them dies (if he had not died at the end i would have to think that they weren't that serious with their love and go seperate ways the next day or something like that...)

when there is a happy end i think the love was not that strong and it would not be a "real" ending for me... (i'm strange, i know...)

i think it's more that i like unusual things (maybe i'm one myself =) but the other thing is that the "norm" is (when you make a statistic) that most of gay films end sad... and most hetero films end happy, and that's how people think the world is like (or at least have to be)
Anny
Crew Member

Postby Sandy » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:39 pm

Interesting.. I'm not content with happy endings either.. It's just not realistic or something. But Anny, I think you are right that gay movies very often have a sad ending. I don't know why.. But in FÅ there actually was a happy ending. But it didn't seem too happy to me.. I don't know why.. An other kind of end could have been interesting too.

I'm sorry that my English is not so good.. It's pretty difficult to express my thoughts in some other language than my dear Finnish.. :roll:
Elämä on elämää varten annettu, ja se on ihanasti sanottu.
Sandy

Postby Kolya » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:36 pm

I think that has more to with mainstream movies tending to happy ends to please the crowd while with a movie about gays director's may think: This can be more daring or possibly it even has to be to account for the "seriousness" of the theme! FA showed that it's not necessary to let the protagonists die to make a movie that takes it's theme and characters serious.
Kolya
Gold Member

Postby Anny » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:01 pm

yes, i know what you mean... but i didn't think about FA while writing it! i think that's something special, because it didn't have to be like all the other films in its genre and it was serious anyway!
Anny
Crew Member

Postby Kolya » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:17 pm

Yeah that's true. LM looked at his characters at eye level. Not from above. You can feel he really likes them and doesn't try to expose them more than necessary.

You're right about the Titanic example too. But one has to admit that this wasn't a movie solely about two young lovers. Cameron also had to sink a big ship in the time the movie takes. So maybe that comparison isn't completely fair. :wink:
Kolya
Gold Member

Next

Return to Anything else