Robyn

Discuss anything on your mind, with focus on films and music though.

Moderator: Ian

Robyn

Postby kant1781 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:39 am

Why, we have separate forums here for second-rate girl groups from Eastern Europe :wink: , but none for the (apart from Broder Daniel) most popular musician known in connection with Fucking Åmål: It seems that good old Robyn is back, had a #1 hit in the UK and tours the world - she played in Berlin, for example, last week. I wonder if she still performs Show Me Love on stage! 8)
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:35 pm

Yes little Robyn, it's nice that she still is successful :)

She is grown up these days, she'll be 30 next year.

She had her record debut in Sweden in 1995 when she was only 16 years old, and then she has been in the music business a little on and off over the years.

She actually worked for UNICEF for a couple of years.

Like you say kant, Robyn is also an important part of Fucking Åmål!
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Re: Robyn

Postby kant1781 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:05 pm

I wonder if she still performs Show Me Love on stage! 8)

Apparently, she does! In an updated version, closer to her new style, but as the closing song of her show. Wow!

In a review on stereogum.com it says:

"And, the show offered a unique moment: Singing along to a spare, Konichiwa-appropriate rearrangement of her prior incarnation's '90s smash "Show Me Love," the entire room -- that had been singing every word, all night -- took it up another level, with extra warmth and giddiness. It was like singing along to an ironic, newly hip cover, but knowing it's always been her, and appreciating her stunning reinvention. Robyn said through the cheers: "You can always do SOMETHING with a good song, right?" Damn if she didn't prove that every minute last night."

(Find the entire review here: http://stereogum.com/archives/concert/robyn-highline-ballroom-nyc-2508_008015.html#more)

There's a cool video on youtube from a show in Amsterdam this January which gives you a pretty clear idea of that new interpretation - this is truly minimalist, nearly a cappella, but heartbreaking!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8IbXUcpXhs
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby kant1781 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:06 pm

Again and again, I find myself returning to Robyn's work, and keep being surprised at how big she has become. I am not really intro electropop, normally, and I probably wouldn't listen to her music if it weren't for "Show Me Love". But I think that the way she reinvented herself by going from cuddly teenage singer of sweet sugarpop melodies to über-cool electro and clubbing queen with world-wide appeal is remarkable, maybe unique. Saying that, I have to confess that I keep listening to her stuff with the pictures of FA in mind; and I probably keep projecting all sorts of things into her songs and lyrics. But however that is of my own making, it so happens that I think that she has quite a few songs that sound as if they had been specifically written to be sung by Elin, or Agnes, respectively. Here's one example: Hang With Me, which is one of her finest songs anway (look up the lyrics if you like). To me, that's an Elin song *:)* . Here's the video, which I like very much, too. Robyn seems a genuinely sweet person.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T4uLB-wzYk
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby fish » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:53 am

She does.
I like her a lot, but it doesn't matter what she sings I'll always think of Fucking Åmål whenever I hear her. *:)*

With a couple of groupies at last years Grammis. :P :lol:

Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby kant1781 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:21 pm

Oh, wonderful! :claps: Who is the person to the right?
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby fish » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:19 am

kant1781 wrote:...Who is the person to the right?

That's Lisa Pyk Wirström (AKA Lady Lisa von Pyk) from the group Vulkano.

Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Dahls » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:18 pm

Yeah, Robin is great, I like her style. 8)
She's managed build a impressive career, after breaking through at only 16 years old. ^O^
Dahls
Crew Member

Return to Anything else