Other Interests

Discuss anything on your mind, with focus on films and music though.

Moderator: Ian

Postby bruno » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:24 pm

I love movies, reading and writing (I write fantasy and SF novels).
bruno
Gold Member

Postby Ian » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:24 am

Me too, Bruno!

:lol:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby bruno » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:51 pm

Well I write... but
I'm not published anywhere
bruno
Gold Member

Postby Ian » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:49 am

Well, ditto (mostly). Got a short story published last year, and done some work for a web content provider this year, but that's about it.

Wish someone would publish my stuff! :roll:
Ian
Webmaster

Re: Other Interests

Postby Ian » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:02 am

Thought I'd resurrect this thread as I don't believe snaps or our resident fish have bared their souls in here yet. :wink:

I'd say I have 3 overriding "fan obsessions" now. I have other interests and loves, of course - I mean, I love Buffy but I don't really consider it a "fan obsession" since all I do is watch it lol. I'm not even on any forums, and I'm not really interested in doing so. So there's 1) Doctor Who (mainly the original series), which has been there for about 23 and a half years. There's 2) Amelia Frid. That's about 19 years now. And of course then there's FA/Rebecka/Alex which really only took off about 2 and a half years ago (despite loving it when I saw it almost 9 years ago) but seems to have permanently stuck with me now (not that I'm complaining! :lol: ) and has also spread out to other things Swedish as well (I dare say I may never have seen LTROI and Dragon Tattoo but for FA pointing the way). I'd say they're "fan obsessions" since they're the ones I've either written fan-fiction or (in all cases there) made lots and lots of music videos in tribute to, which I'd say qualifies them as something I'm ever so slightly obsessive about. Still, they're good obsessions, I think. Right?

Right?

RIGHT!? :P

So come on, fish, snaps, anyone else. Any other fannish obsessions other than the obvious?
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:04 am

Ian wrote:Thought I'd resurrect this thread as I don't believe snaps or our resident fish have bared their souls in here yet. :wink:

I hate "baring" myself in public. :roll: :P

I live a quiet life. As a full time sole carer for my disabled son I spent lots of time at home with him. I enjoy it very much but it does restrict a lot of other things I could be doing, like drinking and raging. I'm fortunate enough to have had the financial security to do this for the last decade.

As for hobbies, I buy DVD's from Ebay mainly and have a hundred or more in my collection. Varied themes, but I confess to a liking for films with well written and acted female roles. I dislike testosterone driven "action" films, preferring more gentle, intelligent stuff.

I enjoy lots of different styles of music from classical to hard rock. Particular favourites are groups like Pink Floyd, U2 and Foo Fighters. Soloists? I just lurve Pink. Probably another hundred or more cd's.

I like sports, having played Aussie Rules Football and basketball until injuries ended those, and I'm able to sneak out to the golf course often enough to keep a single figure handicap.

Cooking is a hobby I've learned to enjoy, and having been married to a chef I fancy that I can do it pretty well, but I hate, hate, just hate, housew*rk. My son is learning how to do all that kind of stuff. :oops:

I'm not an obsessive hoarder like Kyle, but I do have a room full of junk I should really throw away. :roll:

Pretty much my life as I've come to know it.
Bloody hell. I'm depressed now. :(

Oh yeah, and I just luurrve Rebecka Liljeberg and Alexandra Dahlström, and talking to you lot.
There's a surprise. :shock:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:39 am

fish wrote:
Ian wrote:
Oh yeah, and I just luurrve Rebecka Liljeberg and Alexandra Dahlström, and talking to you lot.
There's a surprise. :shock:

I'm frankly stunned by this revelation. :wink:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby triddy » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:09 pm

Well, I don't know, there isn't really a lot to tell... My big passion has always been music, both listening and playing. My taste is pretty hard to define - everything from the classic rockbands like Guns n roses and Alice Cooper, to punk bands like Ramones and the Pistols, to newer indie pop like the Killers and the Sounds. I've played in bands for a few years, mainly punk rock.

I read a lot, my favorites are classics like Dostojevskij or Kafka. But I'm trying to widen my horizon when it comes to books, any suggestions from my friends out there in the world? :P

Except from FÅ, which probably would qualify as my favorite movie ever, the films I love most are Forrest Gump and Shawshank Redemtion. I also admit being a huge Lord of the Rings-fan :P Don't know what it is, but there's just something about them that I never get tired of.

Other than that I spend time with friends, and since I'm a lost 19-year-old, I'm trying to figure out what to do with my life :roll:
triddy
Gold Member

Postby bruno » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:48 pm

triddy wrote:I read a lot, my favorites are classics like Dostojevskij or Kafka. But I'm trying to widen my horizon when it comes to books, any suggestions from my friends out there in the world? :P

The Garden of the Finzi-Continis
by Giorgio Bassani
http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Finzi-Cont ... 0156345706

Hated it as a student, I think it's quite a good book today. Unlucky, cruel love, between italian jews youth, in the fascism era (no war story, but harsh persecution is coming)
bruno
Gold Member

Postby fish » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:31 pm

triddy wrote:... to punk bands like Ramones and the Pistols, to newer indie pop like the Killers and the Sounds. I've played in bands for a few years, mainly punk rock...

Didn't mind the Pistols and I thought the Killers had some great stuff, as did the Ramones. Don't know the Sounds though, you'll have to educate me about them. (Either that or I'm just being very dumb. :roll: ) I was always a big fan of the Pretenders, Brass in Pocket and stuff like that.

Do you get lots of gigs with your band? Be nice to get into the club scene in Stockholm, you might even run into you know who. :wink: Don't forget your camera.

I have a cousin who plays the pub circuit with his heavy metal band, I've heard some of the stuff he writes but I think he's got to get a lot better yet if he wants a career in music. That is a tough gig.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby bruno » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:56 pm

fish wrote: I dislike testosterone driven "action" films, preferring more gentle, intelligent stuff.

I dislike gentle, intelligent stuff. I like testosterone driven action films, instead.

:wink:

not always.
bruno
Gold Member

Postby Ian » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:32 am

lol bruno

I'm not sure I can pin down my taste in films. Comedy and horror are probably the strongest pulls, and some love stories (er... obviously :lol: ) providing they're not syrupy. I don't really go for action movies nowadays, since they mostly blow IMHO :lol: , but I like the classic 80s actioners like Die Hard, Aliens, Lethal Weapon etc.

I don't think there's really a guaranteed formula for me. If there is, I can't work out what it is!
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Kso » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:49 pm

Obsessions? He-he,i have many obsessions besides FA)
Anime,japan culture,party,travel,3d grafic,hard athletic,martial arts,girls...Many things.
Kso
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:49 am

Well, I'm with you on the last one, Kso. :wink: :lol:
Ian
Webmaster

Previous

Return to Anything else