The Little Vampire

Discuss anything on your mind, with focus on films and music though.

Moderator: Ian

The Little Vampire

Postby Ian » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:47 am

Anyone remember this? I don't mean the movie from a few years ago, I mean the 80s German/Canadian tv series!

I loved it as a kid, and managed to get a hold of a dvd copy somewhat unexpectedly. Watched the first ep last night. Pretty good. The kid actors are somewhat variable, but it's well shot with good music and a nicely moody atmosphere. I rather liked it. And oh, the NOSTALGIA rush!
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:33 am

I take it I'm alone on this one! :lol: :P
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:38 am

I just spent an absurd amount of money ordering the proper dvd release of this from Germany.

It's a good job I don't have a wife, or she'd kill me. :lol:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby eiger » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:48 pm

Wow, you're not alone, thanks so much for the reminder!
I wasn't familiar with the title "Der kleine Vampir" (in german) any more, but everything came back to me when I read the strange name Rüdiger (Rudolph in the english version) in the Wiki article. I watched this series somewhen at the beginning of the 90s, at the age of 6 or so, and I loved it.

There's even still an active fanbase, running this website:
http://littlevampire.net/de_index.php
(seems to be a bit like us and FA, amazing :wink:)

You ordered this, right?
http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B001DCF ... B001DCFF7W

It would be really great to see it again, so I will try to get this, too.
eiger
Faithfull Member

Postby Ian » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:32 am

Heh heh!

Yeah, I've found that site. The forum's not much use, mind, since they all speak German! :lol: I was amazed to find it, though. I used to think I was the only one who even remembered it. The internet is awesome for finding fellow like-minded obsessive geeks. :P

That's the one, though I didn't order it from amazon as I don't have a credit card. I used an actual German dvd store, since they accept Paypal. Thank goodness for google translate helping me to do it!

I saw it in the mid 80s as a kid in the UK, and loved it. I got a somewhat illicit copy lately, and thought it held up really well, and fell in love with it all over again. Unfortunately, it was missing an ep, so I thought "Sod it" and ordered the proper one. :lol:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:34 am

My official dvd of this arrived from Germany this morning! :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby eiger » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:38 am

Have fun! :P
eiger
Faithfull Member

Postby Ian » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:47 am

I'd watched most of it on the other copy, but I'm happy to have a proper copy. Like the animated graveyard menu. Not much in the way of extras, one 15 minute doco on the author from 1986 (in German, with no subs! Which, given that the show was made in English, is a bit barmy! :lol: )Watched episode 12 last night. I almost don't want to watch the last one, I don't want it to finish! :roll: :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Sat May 02, 2009 3:24 am

Watched the last episode last night. Been putting it off a bit, as I didn't really want it to end!

Very good, though. I have to say, I've really loved rediscovering this show, and it's stood up and aged really well. Imaginative, atmospheric, lovely photography and music, and terrific kid actors (especially Rudiger and Anna).

Very glad I took the punt on buying it to see again. One of the prides of my collection now!
Ian
Webmaster

Return to Anything else